• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Joseph Egg 20 guage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I arrived on the scene just as Loja man was closing the deal. He was kind enough to let me handle the gun. What a sweet handling gun it is! His excellent photos don’t do justice to this great original gun.

Yeah my brother is pretty excited!! What a neat piece of history to own!! If we ever shoot it we will be glad of the 20 gauge! I hope to build a Fowler later this year, we’ll see if the pennies add up. If I do them well have some shot on hand. The end of the ramrod has a built in hidden worm. Any thoughts if this is original? I will post pic later. Would the worm be for pulling out wadding or tow?

The worm
8A6B5928-44CD-4D9D-953B-587DF2742813.jpeg

Yeah my brother is pretty excited!! What a neat piece of history to own!! If we ever shoot it we will be glad of the 20 gauge! I hope to build a Fowler later this year, we’ll see if the pennies add up. If I do them well have some shot on hand. The end of the ramrod has a built in hidden worm. Any thoughts if this is original? I will post pic later. Would the worm be for pulling out wadding or tow?

Yes, original. The original guns I have also have similar worms.

Very nice gun, Shoot it! Lots!

I own several originals. Everything I buy is to be used. I enjoy getting them shooting and sighted in. I might not use each one very much but for me that is part of the journey.

If the bores are in good shape, barrels ring true and the wood not all cracked up I would shoot it.

Fleener

can i be one of your brothers ? ;) very nice gun and a very nice brother.
Lol! He’s paying me back for it :) i’m saving my pennies and scraping money together just to afford a fowler kit!! I do have a great brother though! Actually I have two great brothers! Me and my brothers with our father. I’m on the far right. The brother next to me is the one buying the gun!
E450EF6A-A455-4989-8954-DF8B01601D1D.jpeg

That’s a nice shotgun. As odd as it seems, my favorite detail is the hammers engraved to look like fish.

The right lock plate shows a hole? Perhaps a screw from the lock not all the way in?

The hammers to me look like a 1830's shotgun. Might not be that old, but I bet I am not off by more then 10 years.

Fleener

I may have created a monster! I made it to my brothers house this evening because I’m working on one of his rentals all week. He’s so pumped about this gun! He wants me to run down the necessary shot and wadding to shoot it!! He also has put in an order for me to track down a pistol as well as a rifle by Joseph Egg! LOL!!

Good luck with tracking down the other stuff. If you are serious about that, simply put a search on Guns International and Gunbrocker for "egg". They will send you an email when any are listed.

Fleener

Most importantly, if you intend to shoot a second hand or antique double barrel shotgun you should ring the barrels , Take the barrels out of the stock , hang them off a finger and gently tap the barrels with a piece of wood , something like a screwdriver handle will do or even flick them with your finger, The barrels should ring like a tubular bell , listen carefully , if there is a dull clunk sound the barrels may have come separated in the middle and are separating , if there is a buzzing sound there is rust between the barrels .
J Egg was a great maker , he developed a lock with and external mainspring , made Baker rifles , Made rifles for the British to trade with the Canadian Indians .
I saw your post and it made me examine a shotgun I have just acquired. The barrels rang when stuck, but an exam of the under rib between the two barrels showed it to be loose from either in the area forward of the forearm. I have yet to replace the nipples which are badly mashed, but I was planning to shoot it after proofing it from a remote location. Is a gun with rust under that rib not worthy or sound to shoot?

I would not shoot it . Depending on the cost and the make of the shotgun ( you don't want to over capitalize it ) I would get some one who knows about soldering barrels together , or ribs on barrels , to have a look . It is not too hard to do if you know what you are doing but you must know what you are doing .
When I was 11 my neighbor asked me to shoot his wife's cat when they were in town ,so he wouldn't get the blame for the cat disappearing and lent me his recently reconditioned hammer12 ga ,double . I shot the cat with 2 shots just because I had 2 shots and the barrels fell apart .There was a considerable amount of rust between the barrels .

Back