• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had one for a lot of years in .45 cal. it shot and handled great. well built, but it got worth more than the best parts available. and it had one unrepairable flaw, the lock and patchbox were on the wrong side, I sold it and built a lefty. I think they are one of the finest factory guns I have ever seen.

I have two of them , a .45 and a .50. I have had the .50 cal for about ten years and I love it. It isn't stock as a previous owner replaced the Browning barrel with a Rice barrel of the same length. It shoots like a dream. It is just heavy enough to make it easier to hold on target and the trigger is easy to set and has a nice smooth pull. Others have complained about the sights on them but I don't find a problem with them. The .45 cal I have I just posted on this site about it. The barrel is very rough down by the breech but it still shoots ok. The breech does need to be either smoothed out or the barrel re-bored. I'm still figuring out what I am going to do with it.
I think they are a fine gun and shoot well. Accuracy with the Browning barrel may not be as good with my Rice barrel but it's not far off. I think the people that criticize it for accuracy
haven't spent the time to work up a proper load. The downside is there are no longer parts available for them. They are well-constructed and with proper care parts availabilty shouldn't be a great concern. Besides there are guys on this board that can figure out a repair for almost anything.

in my mind there the closest to a true hawken unless you buy a custom gun. outstanding acurry.

There is currently one on Gunbroker for $1250 plus shipping. It has been relisted at least once. I think that is way on the high side. I have been looking for a nice .54 for a while also. A little over a year ago I bought a NIB .45 with brown hardware for $763 delivered. Thought I paid a premium for it at the time. Recently bought a .50 used in good shape for $480 out the door and thought that was a good deal. Its worth what you are willing to pay for it. You may pay too much now but if its nice and you hang on to it the price will catch up. I have never regretted paying too much for a nice gun. I have bought guns cheap that were not so nice and regretted it later.

I had one in 50 cal. with browned steel furniture. It shot great, and I like the single set trigger for hunting as there is more room in the trigger guard for gloved fingers. I found the gun somewhat heavy for woods stalking, so I recently had the barrel bored out to .58. The gun is a tack driver now out to 75 yds, and alittle lighter to carry around. These are great guns, too bad they are no longer made.

Have had one for yrs. A .50 cal. brass furniture, think the iron brown looks better. Still shoots accurate, a very fine well made rifle . Glad to hear about the .58 bore job, think one day I will get mine bore out to .58 . Would be better to cary and the ultimate caplock hunter for me. But for now it shoots so good AINT CHANGIN IT,,,DT

The last one I saw was in excellent shape for 700 at a flea market. Prob 650 to buy?

Larry

There is also a 50 cal anniversary one in Denver at the firing line for 1450.00. Comes with the horn and box. The one for 1250.00 is said to be new. It probably is on the high side for sure but if you look at anything else close to that gun the price isn't that far out. Compare a new maple Rocky Mountain Hawken to it. Best new price I have seen right now is 1125 at Dixie. I almost bet you guys would tell me the Browning is a step above the Pedersoli. Al

"I almost bet you guys would tell me the Browning is a step above the Pedersoli. Al"

You can call Richard at Flintlock's Etc. for parts if needed for Pedersoli and get them, call Browning for parts and see what the answer is.

if I still had mine (and I wish I did) I would the same thing I would do with a custom rifle, take it to a gunsmith, or a builder. a pedersoli is a factory gun of average quality like a lyman or a TC. the brownings were way better than those, the used prices are up there with custom guns. obviously some people think they are at least twice as good, because they are willing to pay twice as much and more. pedersoli guns are decent, but I would still take a Lyman any day over a pedersoli, but the Brownings are awesome. I would still have mine if the lock and patchbox were on the correct side.

I tend to swing to the right, but wish for you south paws Browning would have made one that swings to the left! They are Great rifles I really like mine. It is heavy but sure does good in the shooting dept. What it was made for. ,,,DT

I have heard very good things about them from people who own them. I personally have no experience one way or the other about them. I do see them on Gunbroker quit a bit. Just last week they had 4 for sale. For the new ones with the presentation case and horn they were asking in the $1,200 range. The used ones were in the $600 to $700 range. Personally if I had a choice between a Perdersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken or the Browning, I would definitely go with the Pedersoli. Not knocking the Browning, it is just my personal preference. Respectfully, cowboys1062.

There is a A Jonathon Browning Mountain Rifle .54-NIB on GB right now. It is the brass version. The seller started with the asking price of 1,250.00. No one has placed a bid on it and the auction ends in 6 hours. It does not come in the case or has the powder horn. It comes in the original cardboard box with owners manual. Also has the wedge key and nipple still in a sealed plastic bag. If I were going to shell out that kind of cash, I would get the Pedersoli in Curly Maple or put it towards a custom build used in very good condition. Respectfully, cowboys1062.

I have one in .50. Haven't shot it much yet. But when we did it shot a ragged hole group at 50 yards from the bench. Don't like the sights myself because I shoot NMLRA offhand competition but they are usable. One thing I don't like about the gun is the lock configuration inside. When you cock the gun it progressively gets harder to cock as you thumb the hammer back. It doesn't increase in effort and then right before reaching full cock taper down in effort like say a Siler will. Not a problem but it seems weird. Sort of like pulling a recurve bow back as opposed to a compound.

Bob

I have seen nice one's sell between 500. and 900. I could have bought the 500 dollar one, but it was a 50 cal and I have several 50's. I passed on it, and I think it is the same one, that they now want 900. I should have taken it at 500.

Back