• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Jonathan Browning Mountain rifle new in the box what is it worth

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was at a pawn shop looking for old TCs this morning, the shop owner said he had a new in the box .54 Browning rifle and brought it out from the back room. It was pristine, as good as they get the barrel was still in the plastic wrap. I have never see one of these up close and was impressed with the workmanship for a factory rifle, it was made in the US as well which I didn't know. It was a prewarning gun.

He said his shop collected Browning firearms an he doubted if he wanted to sell it, and didn't know what it was worth either.

I told him I would ask you guys and let him know what he had. He said he had sold a new in the box TC Hawken for $350 the previous week, wish I had known.

Last edited:
Yup, one just sold on utahgunexchange for $800. It was a like new 50 cal, but not new in box.

I'm hopeful to have one to sell or trade here soon, but I don't think it's new in the box (I bought it at auction sight unseen, although the photos look pretty good).

Until I saw the one on Utah Gun Exchange, I didn't know these existed. They are nice, and a little different from the usual Hawken style rifle.

Until I saw the one on Utah Gun Exchange, I didn't know these existed. They are nice, and a little different from the usual Hawken style rifle.
An Iron mounted one sold on the Exchange for $750. It wasn't new, but in pretty much new shape. I thought about it, but thought too long.

The BMR is fast becoming a sought after collectors item. I think their high price at the time made it hard to compete with tc and cva. I never owned one but wound up with 2 new unused but bare barrels (one .45 and one .54) I built a rifle with 2 interchangeable barrels.
20180112_141555.jpg
20180112_141600.jpg
The barrels are very accurate reflecting the high quality of the factory rifle. I assume that they came from the factory after production ceased. It is my opinion the BMR barrels were burnished to a mirror bore as they are much smoother loading than any i have had. Pics are just after assembling with all used parts and before final finishing.

I do like single set triggers. Very easy to use and no huge trigger guard. One of my light rifles(45) has a second 1/2 cock that holds the hammer about .020" over a cap on the nipple. Safe to carry on bad ground. It can be carried SET. Only needs putting to Full with little sound. OLD DOG..

I was at a pawn shop looking for old TCs this morning, the shop owner said he had a new in the box .54 Browning rifle and brought it out from the back room. It was pristine, as good as they get the barrel was still in the plastic wrap. I have never see one of these up close and was impressed with the workmanship for a factory rifle, it was made in the US as well which I didn't know. It was a prewarning gun.

He said his shop collected Browning firearms an he doubted if he wanted to sell it, and didn't know what it was worth either.

I told him I would ask you guys and let him know what he had. He said he had sold a new in the box TC Hawken for $350 the previous week, wish I had known.
If it helps, I've seen a few for sale online, brand new, never fired between $800/$1000 depending on who's selling.

I bought one a few years ago for $450. It looked brand new. I was really happy and thought I stole it. I found out why it sold cheap. It didn't shoot for beans. I tried a gazillion different PRB loads and nothing worked. I gave up and sold it. I told the buyer it wasn't accurate but he didn't seem to care. I think he used it for a wall hanger.

Back