• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jonathan Browning Mountain rifle new in the box what is it worth

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The BMR is fast becoming a sought after collectors item. I think their high price at the time made it hard to compete with tc and cva. I never owned one but wound up with 2 new unused but bare barrels (one .45 and one .54) I built a rifle with 2 interchangeable barrels. View attachment 66265View attachment 66266The barrels are very accurate reflecting the high quality of the factory rifle. I assume that they came from the factory after production ceased. It is my opinion the BMR barrels were burnished to a mirror bore as they are much smoother loading
The J.B. rifles are well made. I like the the way they made a snell that looks correct for the period. The over all apperance of the rifle isn't excellent but very good. I have heard that parts are hard to obtain but I doubt ,with reasonable care you would ever need any parts?
They priced a lot of us out of buying one. The cost of one now is way more than I think they are worth but that is just one opinion. I do think if one purchased one at the going rate it will only become worth more as time passes as all of the nicer rifle have so far. I do know asking price and what you could haggle down are different.

The J.B. rifles are well made. I like the the way they made a snell that looks correct for the period. The over all apperance of the rifle isn't excellent but very good. I have heard that parts are hard to obtain but I doubt ,with reasonable care you would ever need any parts?
They priced a lot of us out of buying one. The cost of one now is way more than I think they are worth but that is just one opinion. I do think if one purchased one at the going rate it will only become worth more as time passes as all of the nicer rifle have so far. I do know asking price and what you could haggle down are different.
There's a high probability you could need a main spring if you shoot it much. It's kind of their "Achillies Heel".

I have never worked on a Browning? Is the spring a coil type?
It's a flat spring. One leaf sits under a roller attached to the bridle. I think that is so the trigger can be pushed forward to "set" it, if so desired. I had one many years ago, when you could get parts, that broke two replacement springs on the "first" cock. Put in another spring & sold it without ever cocking it again. Kind of a flawed design & they are a VERY heavy rifle. They have a cult following & seem to bring good money, but I wouldn't get caught up in the hoopla about how "cool" they are, unless I could find & install a completely different lock. Lots of other rifles out there that are better, IMHO.

It's a flat spring. One leaf sits under a roller attached to the bridle. I think that is so the trigger can be pushed forward to "set" it, if so desired. I had one many years ago, when you could get parts, that broke two replacement springs on the "first" cock. Put in another spring & sold it without ever cocking it again. Kind of a flawed design & they are a VERY heavy rifle. They have a cult following & seem to bring good money, but I wouldn't get caught up in the hoopla about how "cool" they are, unless I could find & install a completely different lock. Lots of other rifles out there that are better, IMHO.
I have no desire to own one. I am well pleased with my Ithaca H Rifle. If it got any better than my rifle I couldn't stand it! My Ithaca is so deadly on deer that I just lay it next to a field and when the deer come out to graze they fall over dead out of fright!LOL!

Did Johnathan Browning mountain rifle ever come in a .58?
IMG_0855.jpeg

They are fitted with an interesting single-set trigger. You push it forward to set it.
Hi Tom, Most British & European Set triggers were the Single set type. A bit finiky to make but can be set very finely as I have found out. Made several for rifles. I will try and find my old drawings and photos. O.D.

I had the same experience as Old Hawkeye. After many years shooting my .50 JBMR, it started breaking mainsprings. Original first, then replacements. Don't recall the man that bought the remaining supply of replacement parts, but at the time (many years ago), he told me he was almost sold out.

The gun's not a replica of any original, but it is sorta neat looking and mine was the most accurate .50 I've ever owned. Mainspring problem is real.

Back