• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Joined the dry ball club today!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajgall

40 Cal
Reaction score
Welp, I did it. I was out Today trying to work up a load, shooting three shot groups and after the sixth shot I swabbed my barrel, took a patch and ball, and rammed it home without any powder. After calling myself some choice words I tried to pick some powder in through the touch hole to no avail. So I let some Hoppes #9 sit in the barrel while I got out the ball puller. Thankfully after a few tugs I was able to pull ball and patch free.

Attachments

• 975514CE-62A7-496A-9798-52F1D050E49E.jpeg
    975514CE-62A7-496A-9798-52F1D050E49E.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 144
Good to hear you made it into that elite club. Try as I do I’ve been unable to join after 50 or so years. ( that’s a lie) Many a times others have pasted me by and made me wonder how come they’re so gifted even climbing to the lofty peak of multiple enrollments. Someday probably with the help of onlookers there’s hope to join still. (More lyes)

Just go buy another gun. It's a whole new culture these days. LOL

Glad you got it out. Thanks also for the warning, I hope to take a friend muzzleloader shooting soon.

Wow, you must have just started shooting 2 hours before you posted. Most of us got in that club really really fast.

It's a very large club - very inclusive. In fact, I'm quite certain every single black powder enthusisast is a member. My buddy joined his first time shooting a flinter, and he doesn't even own one yet (he borrowed one of mine).

My buddy has a nick name DRY BALL WILLIE this guy could be the president of the dry ball club. 3 times one day at the range in about a hours time, sure glad we were shooting paper and not red coats. He would dry ball and just look at me with that deer in the head lights look, it got to the point that I just left the ball puller on the range rod.

You tried dribbling some powder through the vent hole. But that didn't work....All my vent holes are
Allen screws. The little plugs with no head. I cut them to size. Counter bore the inside and drill a hole
.These are flush with the barrel and if I need to, I can unscrew them with an Allen wrench and there is
plenty room to add powder.

I had been into BP under 2 years when I had my only (so far) dry ball. I was 15, my buddy had his older sister bring him to watch me shoot my rifle. She was standing there...long blond hair, long tan legs and blue jean cut-offs, asking me questions about how to load it. I was mesmerized and am surprised I only dry balled one prb. I could've poured the hole ball pouch in there and not known it.

After fiddling with it a while I thought to pull the nipple and trickled a little powder in, it went bang, she laughed, and they went home. I still smile thinking about it.

I've got the gold lapel pin and the hat.

Where do I get the pin? Does three times in just over a year qualify me for a gold one?

It’s chinwagging and losing concentration for me, my Two Band attracts so many admirers, (the gun, not me) and gets me into a conversation with someone every time it comes out. Fatal!

Welcome to the club Ajgall🤗

Welp, I did it. I was out Today trying to work up a load, shooting three shot groups and after the sixth shot I swabbed my barrel, took a patch and ball, and rammed it home without any powder. After calling myself some choice words I tried to pick some powder in through the touch hole to no avail. So I let some Hoppes #9 sit in the barrel while I got out the ball puller. Thankfully after a few tugs I was able to pull ball and patch free.
Welcome, welcome, welcome, we've been waiting for you! I have a dryballs from my unmentionable in a little clear case. I leave it where I can see it when I'm shooting. It's so embarrassing I dare not add to the collection. Lol

As a boy my son had watched me load my 1860 Army revolver, so being helpful he loaded it for me when I wasn't looking. Six rounds dryball! I said no problem, just pulled the nipples and added powder. Easily popped all of them out.

Back