• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

John Wesley Powell

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Owl

50 Cal.
Reaction score
John Wesley was a Yankee major in the war between the states and had one arm shot off. After the war he organized an exploration of the Grand Canyon at his own expense. Paddling rapids, climbing cliffs,, etc. All With One Arm! Okay, in any event he ran into a tribe of NDNs at the bottom of the Grand Canyon (I think 1873) and they were cooking tortillas by having a wet batter that was poured out on a flat rock (hot) and fried paper thin- and they would peel it off that way. I'm going to try that. Right now I have a stiff dough that I press out flat. The other thing they were cooking was goat, shredded up with corn dough and wrapped in corn husks- sounds like tamales to me. I have no idea if they learned this from Mexicans or it was an original with them. They were very isolated and I doubt any Mexicans ever got into that area. Thought I'd relay it for what ever it is worth.

Natives made
Pinole a finely ground
Corn
Made into a thin batter and
Cooked on a
Comal or flat rock
Thin it out with hot
Water and you have
Atole
A nutritious warm drink

Powell was the man who made the
Canyon famous