• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

John Meunier schuetzen restoration project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently picked up this rifle. The broken stock was held together with a nail and some duct tape. I clean the duct tape off and remove the nail and disassembled it as you can see in the pictures. It has an excellent bore and the false muzzle is still on It. It is a 42 caliber bore and made for a picket bullet. I will need to make a bullet starter . It was missing the hammer and I had this one in my spare parts that looks like it’s gonna work just fine. Does anyone know someone that could do a good job of putting the stock back together?

Attachments

• 880EC3B0-EBAB-4CE9-9621-6832507E7E58.jpeg
    880EC3B0-EBAB-4CE9-9621-6832507E7E58.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • 03B431D1-7A2B-4907-90FE-D77B06FAD99C.jpeg
    03B431D1-7A2B-4907-90FE-D77B06FAD99C.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 3FA192EC-5D95-474A-931A-4E5F89BF19B0.jpeg
    3FA192EC-5D95-474A-931A-4E5F89BF19B0.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 22A78BF8-75ED-41AE-855D-283CA1F24A97.jpeg
    22A78BF8-75ED-41AE-855D-283CA1F24A97.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I will contact them. I could stick it back together but that’s not my experience. I’d like somebody that’s done it before. Thank you for the lead.

I've repaired similar stock breaks where the rifles can be used again.
At 80 with arthritis in my hands & wrists I don't do anymore but bet there are forum members who are well qualified to repair the stock & lock.
Relic shooter

rodneys:

A couple of things: since your rifle is fitted with a false muzzle, it seems likely that it was intended for an elongated, cylindrical-bodied bullet. My Charles Foehl Philadelphia schuetzen rifle is made for the picket bullet, and has a countersunk muzzle to locate the patch, but does not require a false muzzle; rather, the muzzle is turned on the o.d. for the guide starter, and the picket is inserted into the guide starter, which is fitted over the muzzle with the patch in place and the plunger tapped to start the bullet straight. If your barrel is without the countersink for the patch, and rifled with a fairly fast pitch, that, too, would seem to indicate it was intended for a longer bullet - have you measured the rifling pitch? Alternatively, if the false muzzle is countersunk for the patch, it could, indeed, be intended for a picket bullet: I once owned an Edwin Wesson false-muzzled rifle set-up for the picket bullet, but my experience is that the false muzzle is not needed for the picket, if the muzzle is counterbored for the patch and turned for an accurately made guide starter. Just a matter of curiosity...

mhb - MIke

rodneys:

A couple of things: since your rifle is fitted with a false muzzle, it seems likely that it was intended for an elongated, cylindrical-bodied bullet. My Charles Foehl Philadelphia schuetzen rifle is made for the picket bullet, and has a countersunk muzzle to locate the patch, but does not require a false muzzle; rather, the muzzle is turned on the o.d. for the guide starter, and the picket is inserted into the guide starter, which is fitted over the muzzle with the patch in place and the plunger tapped to start the bullet straight. If your barrel is without the countersink for the patch, and rifled with a fairly fast pitch, that, too, would seem to indicate it was intended for a longer bullet - have you measured the rifling pitch? Alternatively, if the false muzzle is countersunk for the patch, it could, indeed, be intended for a picket bullet: I once owned an Edwin Wesson false-muzzled rifle set-up for the picket bullet, but my experience is that the false muzzle is not needed for the picket, if the muzzle is counterbored for the patch and turned for an accurately made guide starter. Just a matter of curiosity...

mhb - MIke
I do believe Meunier made only picket rifles (cloth patched bullet). His rifles were popular with schuetzen shooters in Chicago: many have turned up there.

I have sent it to Bruce to get the stock repaired. The false muzzle does have a recess for the patch About 7/8 diameter. I don’t know exactly what the twist rate is, but it is faster than a round ball gun. The bore is .420 . I happen to have a picket mold that is .410 at the base that I will try first With a cloth patch. I will be making a starter also that fits the false muzzle. Thanks again for your input.

Back