• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

John Buck Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teleoceras

45 Cal.
Reaction score
John Buck has been building a combination Flintlock\Matchlock .72 Musket these past few months for me. The biggest obstacle has been making the lock mechanism itself.

Today Mr. Buck sent me a few picks of the lock.

w233.jpg

w235.jpg

w239.jpg

This one is going to have two triggers. The Matchlock trigger will be a lever trigger which will also double as a trigger guard for the Flintlock trigger.

Wilma (That's what I'm going to call her) is based on a French musket design from the late 17th Century.

I'll tell ya, I can hardly wait to get her in my hands!

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

That is a neat lock. Were these combination locks made in the past or is this just a new concept.

Has anyone ever built a single barrel gun with a percussion lock on one side and a flint lock on the other side? Now that would be really neat.

10 gauge:

That is a neat lock. Were these combination locks made in the past or is this just a new concept.

These types of locks were made in the past. Many were Wheellock\Matchlock combos. But there were some Flintlock\Matchlock combos as well and this one was based on a design from the late 1600's in France.

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

Well this morning I finally got word that Wilma was at the post office!

Wilma.jpg

Wilma3.jpg

The lever trigger for the Matchlock serves as the trigger guard for the Flintlock trigger. A .72 Musket based on a French design from the late 17th Century.

After taking the pics, I was off to the range. The load I used was a .690RB with .015 patch with 85grs of GOEX Fg.

The first shot was as a Matchlock and she went 2" from the bullseye at 7 O'Clock. The next shot was as a Flintlock and it was a BULLSEYE touching the 10 ring at 12 O'Clock!

Pleased, I then settled to to seeing which was more accurate, A Matchlock or a Flintlock?

As a Matchlock the average was 2"-3" groups at 25 yards.

As a Flintlock, she shot 1"-2" groups at 25 yards.

I did this all shooting on a bench as to keep the variables down to a minimum.

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

Britsmoothy:

Thanks, she is a very accurate shooter.

I don't hunt (I can't stand the sight of blood) so she is just for paper punching and historical demonstrations.

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

The few times that I've fired a matchlock with a lever trigger, my shooting was terrible. Squeezing that lever just upsite my aiming way too much. Those who shoot them all the time tell me that it's just something you have to work with before you can overcome it.

Yours is definately something to be proud of. I've seen them in a book but can't recall where. Mr. Buck did a right fine job for you and it sounds like it'll be an accurate piece for you as well.

Impressive! :thumbsup:

Your collection is FANTASTIC!!! :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: I enjoyed your site.
Thanks,
Dusty :wink:

That is one fine looking front-stuffer !
And that is a god piece of craftsmanship on the lock !
Mike in Peru God Bless ya´ll

To all:

Many thanks! I couldn't say enough of John Buck's work. The man really builds some beautiful pieces.

That lock was built by hand from designs that were posted online. John told me that now the design was perfected, he is going to make that lock design one of the regular offerings.

I know John will be getting repeat business from me.

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

All you gott'a do is think up something more challenging than Wilma for John to take on! :thumbsup: Also found a new name, how's Margredel? :v

Wes:

All you gott'a do is think up something more challenging than Wilma for John to take on! :thumbsup: Also found a new name, how's Margredel? :v

I already have John Buck building Eva, Bertha, and Brünhilda for me. All are smoothbores. Not kidding!

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

Teleoceras said:
John Buck has been building a combination Flintlock\Matchlock .72 Musket these past few months for me. The biggest obstacle has been making the lock mechanism itself.

Today Mr. Buck sent me a few picks of the lock.

w233.jpg

w235.jpg

w239.jpg

This one is going to have two triggers. The Matchlock trigger will be a lever trigger which will also double as a trigger guard for the Flintlock trigger.

Wilma (That's what I'm going to call her) is based on a French musket design from the late 17th Century.

I'll tell ya, I can hardly wait to get her in my hands!

Earlier this month, I made a shooting video of this musket in case anyone is interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KfNOJxIoQs

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

Now I know why I can't get my Escopeda :cursing:
You got John busy building your guns :haha:

Seriously cool gun!! That has to be a "blast" to shoot. Thanks so much for posting. :thumbsup: Rick.

Back