• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CLOSED John Browning MTN Rifle Lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I am looking for a John Browning Mountain Rifle percussion lock (did they even make flint locks?) or a replacement lock that can be fitted to a JBMR stock without too much work. If you have one, or know of a good substitute, please contact me via PM.

In addition to the above, you could try to match your lock to the locks in the Track of the Wolf catalog as the pictures a true to size. I was able to replace a Russ Hamm caplock by matching the size to a flintlock using their catalog. I wanted to convert the gun to flintlock and it certainly gave me an idea what locks were close. Inletting was minimal, but some work was required.

Don’t have the backstory, but do you have the OEM lock? Hard to believe it wouldn’t be repairable.
Since I have owned this gun I have had 3 mainsprings snap. Replacements are unobtainium, so i was thinking I may have to replace the lock. Maybe someone could direct me to a place where I can get a new main spring that is not so brittle.

Since I have owned this gun I have had 3 mainsprings snap. Replacements are unobtainium, so i was thinking I may have to replace the lock. Maybe someone could direct me to a place where I can get a new main spring that is not so brittle.
A properly made (no sharpe corners or stress risers) and heat treated spring should not snap unless they are improperly handled going in and out of the lock. Don’t exactly know what your gun’s spring looks like, but post a clear photograph along with overall dimensions and maybe someone could direct you towards a solution. Would like to think a snapping spring issue solution with the Browning rifle has been figured out, but I am not familiar enough with them to know for sure.

I’ve worked on these locks, they are a problematic design. As the hammer is drawn back the leverage becomes worse. A different lock would be the best bet but even that would be hard to adapt.

Does anyone know any reputable spring fabricators that I might contact to have a new spring made that hopefully will be more durable than the original equipment springs?

Also had the same problem. Sold rifle after two replacements broke. Original lock/mainspring lasted many years. Browning no longer stocked parts but one fellow purchased remaining parts. That was over 15 years ago. Replacements snapped first time cocking to full cock.

Good luck.

contact Jeff Miller/Flintlock Forge
Nit Wit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back