• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Joe Woods Coning Tool

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m new to the forum and flintlocks. Like many once you get the taste you are hooked. I watch a lot of YouTube videos on subject and recently watched one of Mike Bellevue’s where he talked about barrel Coning. He presented a tool and instructions of a tool made by Joe Woods. Setting a ball using a short starter to me was just annoying. I contacted Joe Woods who after a few minute chat i new I was talking with a fine gentleman. I received my order in a few days. I purchased several sizes but was mainly interested in the Coning tool for my 45; the rifle I use most. I used the tool on one of my 45 flintlock this morning. Works perfectly! Like the instructions say once you get going it’s a breeze. It doesn’t take much sand paper. I think I used 6 or 7 template size pieces of 220 so one sheet is plenty then 3 each of 340 and 400 a quarter sheet each. This is Going to make life so much easier no more banging balls in with a starter! American ingenuity at its best! Way to go Joe! Looking forward to my next range day where I can get more lead down range with one less thing to slow me down. I consider my self a novice in the flintlock world but I’ve been a tinker my entire life. I know good tools when I see them. This is something anyone can do IMO and the price of the tool is a lot cheaper then any smith would probably charge. The end results are a perfectly conned barrel and a rifle that now loads easily!

Did one of mine back in the ‘80’s. No one I knew had ever coned a barrel, and only the concept was known in my circle.

I took the bull by the horns and made my own coning tool with things I had. A tapered wood spool, a bolt, a pulled round ball and a wood screw. I was satisfied with the results.
2E2D858B-5F6D-4B6C-8E0D-7D5E5839A93B.jpeg

Got a .62 tool for my .62 Jaeger. That’s when I discovered it is actually a .61 caliber. The bore guide end wouldn’t even fit in the muzzle. He then sent me the proper size. Nice fellow.

Coning is not a new idea in fact I was at the NMLRA long rifle show today and a group of gun builders were there hand rifling a barrel. These guys know their stuff! I asked them what they thought about coning, one of them told me he experienced an increase of accuracy when he first tried it many years ago. They told me about how they had seen antique barrels that were coned with files. They said the muzzle end of a barrel has nothing to do with the accuracy of the rifle which is why coning it can't affect the accuracy. I'm seriously thinking about trying it out myself.

It does make loading easier. Most of the guys I shoot with are of the “drive ‘em in with a hammer” type.

Hatchet Jack,
I beg to differ with your statement that the "muzzle has nothing to do with accuracy". Of all parts of a rifle if the muzzle isn't perfect you might as well shoot a slingshot. Round ball can tolerate differences in ROT, powder charges, depth of rifling, patching and many other things but if the muzzle is not right that ball is not going where it's pointed at, IMHO.

Hatchet Jack,
I beg to differ with your statement that the "muzzle has nothing to do with accuracy". Of all parts of a rifle if the muzzle isn't perfect you might as well shoot a slingshot. Round ball can tolerate differences in ROT, powder charges, depth of rifling, patching and many other things but if the muzzle is not right that ball is not going where it's pointed at, IMHO.
Not my statement and I probably didn't quote him correctly. It came from one of the NMLRA Gun Maker Hall guys. I don't think he meant if you filed off one side of your muzzle it would have no effect on accuracy. The gist I got was if coned properly it would not effect the accuracy and there are originals that they have seen that were coned so it's not a new thing.

Has anyone used Ed Hamberg's universal coning tool? He sells them on the ALR site. One tool for .32 to .75 cal.

It looks like a nice tool well thought out again American ingenuity at work! I don’t know if it matters it appears you would end up with a steeper cone with it though without measuring it I’m guessing and probably doesn’t matter. I’m happy with joe Woods tool and would buy another caliber because I’m happy with the out come of the way my 45 came out. I can’t wait to show all the black gun guys at the range next week LOL.

I've coned all of my builds with Joe's tools ... he's a really fine fellow and makes excellent gear. With much said about the "loss of accuracy" question, i would posit that if you're more inclined to go shoot (which you will be, since the whole system is easier to load ) and if the shooting is more fun (which it will be, because you're not bashing you hand against the little ball of wood) then you'll be much more inclines to practice, which will make you a better shot (usually).

just one guy's opinion...

free advice and worth every penny

Latest posts

Back