• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Joe Meek Rifle Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosmoline

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This is an idea I have for building a recreation of Joseph Meek's rifle. I'm going to keep a running thread here to assemble my primary source material and pick up any suggestions folks have. My concept at this stage is to work off of a Kentucky kit or Kentucky parts set, but I've got to get more info before I know what to get.

Here's the general description from Carl Russel, Guns on the Early Frontiers at p. 73-74

"The maker of the Meek rifle has not been identified, but the piece displays the earliest deviations which marked the beginnings of a new rifle type. it retains the full forestock and the sharp drop to the butt which characterize the Kentucky rifle, but it has been decidedly shortened. It was brought to the Willamette Valley, Oregon in 1848 by the noted trapper Joseph L. Meek and is typical of the modified Kentucky rifle first manufactured for use in the West in the early 1830's. ... On the barrel behind the rear signt is the inscription, inlaid with silver, Verien zum Schutze Deutsher Einwanderer in Texas, which may be translated as "Organization for the protection of German immigrants in Texas. Crudely carved on the right side of the stock are the words "J. Meek, Rocky Mountains." On the left side of the stock are similarly carved the word "Death," followed by the figure of a running deer and the signature "A. Kelly." Three notches have been filed in the right edge of the trigger guard. The lock is percussion, and as was usual during the period of the Plains rifle there are double triggers."

I tracked the rifle itself down to the Oregon Historical Society, and they were kind enough to send me this information on it:

My name is Kimberley Buergel and I am the associate registrar here at the Oregon Historical Society. I received your email inquiry regarding Joe Meek's rifle.
We do have the Joe Meek's rifle. I can give you some information on the rifle.

Barrel Length: 70.48cm
Barrel is Octagonal
Rifle is percussion
Overall weight: 6lbs, 4oz
Brass front sight, brass pin sight dovetailed into muzzle end of the barrel
Rear fixed sight dovetailed into the barrel. Has a steel pin remaining indicating that it once was a folding leaf-type sight.
Double triggers, ramrod missing.
Stock material: walnut

Additionally, I have some notes that say the barrel of this gun has been cut short of its original length at one time and has been bored out of all its rifling. The notes go on to say that the gun must have originally been a .50 or .54 caliber. The gun has, according to these same notes, a hooked breech and nipple "snail" fixture.

Buy or check out the book THE PLAINS RIFLE by Charles E. Hanson, Jr.

On page 115 plate 51 shows "Old Sally". There is quite a lot of information about Joe and his gun in the book.

The photo on page 115 shows Old Sally is a back action percussion with hints of the CVA Kentucky mixed in.
The reference to the CVA Kentucky is due to the apparent two piece stock that seems to have a metal insert between the forestock and the main stock. (That may be an optical illusion. It could be a nail or something but it sure looks like that brass plate CVA used).

Because of its back action percussion lock, I don't know of any off the shelf guns or stocks that would be available from a commercial supplier to replicate it.

The butt of the stocks comb looks to be close to a Lancaster style but it is slightly rounded rather than being straight like the typical Lancaster.

Hope this helps you with your project. :)

I have a story to tell. My dad was raised in the Hillsboro area (1941 graduate of Hillsboro High School) and grew up with some of Meek's descendants most likely his great grandchildren. Anyway my dad took me along to visit his childhood friend, Steve Meek close to 60 years ago. Over the mantle were hanging two flintlock rifles that I was told belonged to Joe Meek. Being that this was family member I would be inclined to accept the statement at face value. Noticing my interest in the rifles he took one down and let me handle it. Then He cocked the rifle and gave it to me said I could pull the trigger. Being 9-10 at the time the shower of sparks surprised me having up to this point only fired my 1906 Winchester '22 rifle and my dad's .22 High Standard double nine revolver. I wish I had asked more questions at the time but I was excited just to handle the rifles which i was told belonged to Joe Meek.

Back