• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Jo-Anns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went to Jo-Anns fabric store today to get some patch material. I walked all around the fabric aisle with my micrometer searching for material a few thousands thicker than the pre-cut patches I'm using now. All they have was a bunch of cartoon and fru fru stuff then I found the "utility fabric" section that had stuff like duck canvas and pillow ticking. :)

Pleased, I found some blue ticking and cotton drill that was just right for my needs. I also got some tight weave 100% linen fabric of some kind that is fairly thick.

The guy at the register asked what I was using it for and I mentioned it was for muzzleloading. He didn't know what that was at first but then said "Oh you're going to use it in a musket?" and I said "yeah" (close enough I guess). :grin:

I was surprised how cheap it was, most of a square yard altogether and only cost a few bucks after the military discount. I also got some good hemp cordage to tie my measure and pick to my bag.

Jo-Anns is where it's at. I like it much more than Hobby Lobby which really doesn't seem to have much good stuff.

Just thought I'd share, take care gang!

Smokey

Very nice, I will be back for sure. Right now I have strips of patching laid out drying, lubed with Dutch Shoultz recommended Ballistol and water mixture. I can't wait to try cutting from the muzzle, I've always just used store bought pre cut patches and it feels good to get away from that, I imagine it is much cheaper.

I went into a jo-anns to get some patching. was had my mics. out checking material. one of the women asked what I was going to use it for. I went out got my rifle and showed her the others in the store were interested too. well I found what I wanted. then she told me something I did not know if I take remnants which is anything under a full yard. it is cheaper. I wanted a yd. but came out with a little over 2 for what a yard would have cost.

You guys should check their website, or get your email on their list.

Jo-Ann's will send you coupons for discounts. Depending on the size of the Jo-Ann's (there is a "regular" store in my county, and "super" store in the next county West of me) you can find some appropriate materials for other projects.

You can often find good tools and other stuff too. I've gotten glover's needles (leather) and heavy duty machine sewing needles (cotton and linen canvas gear), needles with wide eyes (good for hand sewing for those of us who are not nearsighted), hook & eye fasteners, washable marking pens and pencils that come off of your project when you're done. Don't forget buttons..., sure, alone they aren't "right", but cover them with cloth and they work fine. :wink:

LD

I shop there for ticking for making shirts and enuff for patching and char cloth.

Good point about the coupons! And if you don't have them ... ask!

My last time there, after getting my patch material, the checkout clerk asked me if I had any coupons ... and I said "No, simply getting items for the Mrs ...", so she smiled and pulled out some barcode sheet from below the register and gave me an instant 40% off. Sweet!

I spend time there, the women are always wondering what I'm doing there :grin: :grin:
I also get camo cloth etc.

While you're there, slip on over to the sewing tools and accessories department. Dunno what else to call it, but over where the needles and scissors are displayed.

If you're the least bit crafty, there's lots of good stuff. Handy little beeswax dispensers, scissors and nippers of all sorts, needles of course, storage containers, needle cases (etui), buncha other little stuff that slips my mind right now.

Look at my leather working bench, and there's quite a bit that came from JoAnn's.

The jute twine is good tinder- if shredded up, they also have cotton cord for tinder tubes.

Back