• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

JM Brown Percussion Shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would recommend at this point you set the breech end of the barrels in a container and pore a penetrating oil down the bore and around the breech till the nipples are covered. Let it set for a week or more while you research the gun. Then if you wanted to replace the nipples you’d have a better chance of getting them out. Besides it won’t harm the barrels or finish. A drip of penetrating oil on any screw on the lock and under the hammers will start working as well. Time is on your side so use it! Fine project that I wish was mine.
I appreciate the feedback - the hammers and trigger mechanisms all work, but the cap nipples are definitely deteriorated. This will be a fine firearm in my collection and will get displayed; not hidden in a safe. I'll keep searching out the history of JM Brown in or about London. When I learn more I'll post here. Thank you!

You got the wedge out, so my warning that the wedges may be captured in the stock is a bit late. If the wedge has a slot, then there may be a pin through the wedge that will prevent the wedge from falling out while letting the lug clear the ti' of the wedge.

You got the wedge out, so my warning that the wedges may be captured in the stock is a bit late. If the wedge has a slot, then there may be a pin through the wedge that will prevent the wedge from falling out while letting the lug clear the ti' of the wedge.
I sure did get it apart and the wedge has a pin just as you suggest. Thanks for thinking of me - this is my first black powder gun so I need all the advice i can find.

Could you please post a pic of an example of how the pin might go through the wedge? And then use needle nose pliers to extract the pin? I’m just trying to visualize how that would come together. Thank you.

Could you please post a pic of an example of how the pin might go through the wedge? And then use needle nose pliers to extract the pin? I’m just trying to visualize how that would come together. Thank you.
I should preface this with the fact that I am a newbie to muzzleloading firearms so I had presumed that the "wedge" is the device in the fore-end that holds the barrels to the fore-end. If not - please educate me... 20190319_074714.jpg 20190319_074725.jpg 20190319_074733.jpg 20190319_074801.jpg

I should preface this with the fact that I am a newbie to muzzleloading firearms so I had presumed that the "wedge" is the device in the fore-end that holds the barrels to the fore-end. If not - please educate me... View attachment 6844 View attachment 6845 View attachment 6846 View attachment 6847
Nice pics. Thank you. So there is a tiny retaining pin, pushed through the wooden stock, which pierces the center of the wedge. So obviously the pin must be romoved first otherwise additional damage could occur to the wood, right?

Nice pics. Thank you. So there is a tiny retaining pin, pushed through the wooden stock, which pierces the center of the wedge. So obviously the pin must be romoved first otherwise additional damage could occur to the wood, right?
From what I can tell the only reason to remove the pin is to replace the wedge. The wedge slides in and out very easily and that pin combined with the closed end of the wedge (see the pics) prevents excessive travel of the wedge to prevent you from removing it - I guess so that you don't lose the wedge in the field just as the birds are flying into range...

Back