Jim's New Years Shoot

Discussion in 'Photos' started by Herb, Jan 11, 2019 at 5:26 AM.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Jan 11, 2019 at 5:26 AM #1

Herb

Herb

Herb

54 Cal.

He held his traditional shoot on New Year's day, but it was so cold no one wanted to shoot. Bob comes from Golden, CO for this each year, so I said I'd shoot with him. Kyme came along, plus two observers. We shot steel targets out in the junipers along the trail and across a canyon, "at least 100 yards". Bob and I hit both targets, Kyme was shooting a 66 caliber English officer's personal rifle (smoothbore 16 gauge) and missed one. Bob and I both shot .54 Hawkens I made, his was left handed and I cut the stock from a walnut blank by hand about 20 years ago. He took first and I second.

W Ferris 1833.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Jan 11, 2019 at 7:30 PM #2

Artie Peltier

Artie Peltier

Artie Peltier

40 Cal.

Great selection of quality rifles! Again the scenery is spec! Well done

3. Jan 11, 2019 at 9:14 PM #3

Herb

Herb

Herb

54 Cal.

I didn't know how to put the captions with each photo. I built all these rifles except Kyme's. The first five Hawkens are two Kit Carson .54 caliber, my copy of the Jim Bridger in .54, which I hunted deer and elk with and have shot 1500 to 2000 times, a .58 flint halfstock which I killed a mule deer with and shot a few hundred times, and a .50 fullstock with a swamped barrel that I killed an antelope with. Shot it maybe 300 times then gave it to my nephew for a family heirloom.

The five Hawkens picture has a .40 St. Louis Hawken I built at bottom. The three rifles photo has the rifle I shot at Jim's at top. It is a Kit Carson Hawken but with a 15/16" .54 caliber Hopkins and Hobbs barrel, weighs about 7 pounds. I no longer have the muscles to hold up my heavy Bridger.