• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Jim's New Years Shoot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herb

54 Cal.
Reaction score
He held his traditional shoot on New Year's day, but it was so cold no one wanted to shoot. Bob comes from Golden, CO for this each year, so I said I'd shoot with him. Kyme came along, plus two observers. We shot steel targets out in the junipers along the trail and across a canyon, "at least 100 yards". Bob and I hit both targets, Kyme was shooting a 66 caliber English officer's personal rifle (smoothbore 16 gauge) and missed one. Bob and I both shot .54 Hawkens I made, his was left handed and I cut the stock from a walnut blank by hand about 20 years ago. He took first and I second.

W Ferris 1833.JPG

Attachments

• Jim 2019 Bob XX Kyme.JPG
    Jim 2019 Bob XX Kyme.JPG
    246.9 KB · Views: 354
  • Herb at canyon.JPG
    Herb at canyon.JPG
    280.8 KB · Views: 380
  • Bob, Herb, Kyme.JPG
    Bob, Herb, Kyme.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 383
  • Bob my LH Hawken.JPG
    Bob my LH Hawken.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 381
  • 2 Carsons Bridger 58 FL 50 antelope.JPG
    2 Carsons Bridger 58 FL 50 antelope.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 389
  • FiveHawkensRSlant.JPG
    FiveHawkensRSlant.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 379
  • Carsons & Bridger Hawkens.JPG
    Carsons & Bridger Hawkens.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 345
He held his traditional shoot on New Year's day, but it was so cold no one wanted to shoot. Bob comes from Golden, CO for this each year, so I said I'd shoot with him. Kyme came along, plus two observers. We shot steel targets out in the junipers along the trail and across a canyon, "at least 100 yards". Bob and I hit both targets, Kyme was shooting a 66 caliber English officer's personal rifle (smoothbore 16 gauge) and missed one. Bob and I both shot .54 Hawkens I made, his was left handed and I cut the stock from a walnut blank by hand about 20 years ago. He took first and I second.

View attachment 2868
Great selection of quality rifles! Again the scenery is spec! Well done

I didn't know how to put the captions with each photo. I built all these rifles except Kyme's. The first five Hawkens are two Kit Carson .54 caliber, my copy of the Jim Bridger in .54, which I hunted deer and elk with and have shot 1500 to 2000 times, a .58 flint halfstock which I killed a mule deer with and shot a few hundred times, and a .50 fullstock with a swamped barrel that I killed an antelope with. Shot it maybe 300 times then gave it to my nephew for a family heirloom.

The five Hawkens picture has a .40 St. Louis Hawken I built at bottom. The three rifles photo has the rifle I shot at Jim's at top. It is a Kit Carson Hawken but with a 15/16" .54 caliber Hopkins and Hobbs barrel, weighs about 7 pounds. I no longer have the muscles to hold up my heavy Bridger.

Back