Jim Kibler Woodsrunner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Reaction score
Well, there was a Issac Haines "transitional" rilfe like the kit/stock that Dunlap Woodcrafts sells, that is characterized by the short, balanced, 38″ long barrel, but the shape of the comb is entirely different.

I personally don't care for the Woodsrunner buttstock and comb profile at all ... looks too "Lehigh" of school to me, which means very 'droopy'at the nose of the comb. Ugghhh ...

TraderVic

40 Cal
Reaction score
I pulled up Jim Chambers website and compared his "Isaac Haines" rifle to the Kibler "Woodsrunner". They seem a bit similar to my untrained eye, but...

Reaction score
Well, there was a Issac Haines "transitional" rilfe like the kit/stock that Dunlap Woodcrafts sells, that is characterized by the short, balanced, 38″ long barrel, but the shape of the comb is entirely different.

I personally don't care for the Woodsrunner buttstock and comb profile at all ... looks too "Lehigh" of school to me, which means very 'droopy'at the nose of the comb. Ugghhh ...
I don't mind the Kibler Woodsrunner comb nose too much. I am not a fan of Lehigh Valley combs at all, but the Kibler Woodsrunner(as opposed to the original rifle) is surprisingly close to at least two known Golden-Age Jacob Dickert rifle combs. True Lehighs are (purely to my own eye which is not objective) gross.

Apart from this pic in PA Rifles of Note, there is another signed Dickert rifle for sale on the net right now that has an even more similar comb to Kibler's Woodsrunner.

Attachments

• 20220717_201945.jpg
    20220717_201945.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 0

ZUG

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I don't think the Woodsrunner has a "Lehigh" look at all more of a Reading "ish"/ Berks "ish" look to it.

Reaction score
The woodsrunner has a big English Round Faced lock, looks like the same one Kibler used on his Colonial. The original I looked at in my book (and I don't have many original examples of Haines to go by) has a smaller Germanic lock, flat lock plate, square pan. The Chambers kit has a Golden Age Germanic lock.
The nose on the woodsrunner is round which makes the wrist look long and the comb is very curved. The nose on the Haines I looked at stands proud and the comb is pretty straight.
The woodrunner looks to me to have a lot of drop in the heal and a short length of pull. That might be an optical illusion due to that shark fin comb though.