• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jim Kibler Rifle, RANGE REPORT

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingsax26

45 Cal.
Reaction score
well I went out early this morning. Was Able to get off a few shots before it started to rain. I used 60gr 3f, .010 patch and a .530 ball. I guess this rifle really likes that combo. Only got to shoot at 25 yards offhhand, but 2 shots in one hole, 3 shots almost touching and a flyer (my fault).. I think ill keep her lol

Attachments

• 20200103_100915.jpg
    20200103_100915.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 337
I say that's a darn good start, and offhand to boot! :thumb:

That kit comes with square bottom grooves...round bottom optional? Which did you get and if square, how deep are the grooves. Just asking because on a round bottom groove, I've never gotten by with anything less than .018 pillow tick and up to .024 denim as a workable patch when the ball was .010 undersized. Even on my rather shallow grooved Pedersoli's a .015 to .018 was the workable patch. I've never, on any gun, gotten good groups with a .010 patch.

I say that's a darn good start, and offhand to boot! :thumb:

That kit comes with square bottom grooves...round bottom optional? Which did you get and if square, how deep are the grooves. Just asking because on a round bottom groove, I've never gotten by with anything less than .018 pillow tick and up to .024 denim as a workable patch when the ball was .010 undersized. Even on my rather shallow grooved Pedersoli's a .015 to .018 was the workable patch. I've never, on any gun, gotten good groups with a .010 patch.

Spike, I measured , it actually measures at .016....ish. I have a really really cheap set of plastic calipers the rifling is square bottom...measures .554 from bottom to bottom..... hope that helps

Spike, I measured , it actually measures at .016....ish. I have a really really cheap set of plastic calipers the rifling is square bottom...measures .554 from bottom to bottom..... hope that helps

Kings, thanks for taking the time to take a measurement.

If it's .554 bottom to bottom I think you have .007 deep grooves. If my math is right .554-.540=.014 which divided by 2 = .007 deep grooves. That's probably why the thinner patch is working.

Any up-dated range reports?
Did you have to do any fileing to your sights? I've heard that most don't have.

That's good shooting for sure. I personally like to shoot 10 shot groups from a range that lets the holes space out more, and from the bench so as to limit my own shortcomings in the equation as much as possible.

I only file the sights so they are close when I am shooting from the bench, as, most of my shooting is from standing position, and my POI is different in that position than from others, (usually higher) particularly the bench.

Last August I bought the kibler 50 cal colonial rifle kit. Nice rifle. I am new to flintlocks. With 70 grains 2f, 495 ball, and 020 patch I can hit consistently within a 4" black circle on the target at 50 yards. I sighted this rifle in at 50 yards. My rear sight is visibly set just left of the barrel center line. Also had to file front sight a little. At 100 yards, I need to elevate the barrel 5 inches which is expected. The thing I can't understand is that I need aim left about 7" to hit in the 8" black circle (basically upper left corner of target). Does anyone have any suggestions? Part of the problem is old eyes have a tough time with iron sights. Also trigger pull is heavy as well.

You need to start by eliminating variables to diagnose the problem. Stat by eliminating the biggest variable (you), have someone else shoot it and see if it shoots to the right for them too.

Are you shooting from a bench or off hand?
Are the sights on straight, have you tried moving the sights ?
Is the barrel bent?
Is the stock warped or pushing on the barrel?
Is the crown square?
Is the length of pull too long or too short for you ?

Lots of possibilities.

Flitch or if your right handed you may be pulling the shot try shooting supported (tri pod, fence post standing) barely squeezing the trigger

Last August I bought the kibler 50 cal colonial rifle kit. Nice rifle. I am new to flintlocks. With 70 grains 2f, 495 ball, and 020 patch I can hit consistently within a 4" black circle on the target at 50 yards. I sighted this rifle in at 50 yards. My rear sight is visibly set just left of the barrel center line. Also had to file front sight a little. At 100 yards, I need to elevate the barrel 5 inches which is expected. The thing I can't understand is that I need aim left about 7" to hit in the 8" black circle (basically upper left corner of target). Does anyone have any suggestions? Part of the problem is old eyes have a tough time with iron sights. Also trigger pull is heavy as well.
Did you make a slot in the underlug?
Or just drill a hole?

Is it me or does that patch/ ball combo seem awful tight??
Heavy trigger means you are probably using too much finger on the trigger (not just the fingertip) and that will pull you to the right every time. Gets more exacerbated the farther the distance to the target.

Yup. Hits to the right (for a righty) are usually due ti a flinch, and taking your face away. In standing position, those are usually in the 4:00 o'clock to 5:00 o'clock position, and further out, like the edge or slightly outside the bull vs. an inch out of the 10-ring.

One thing I notice is that I can rarely find the patches. Doesn't matter what size ball and patch combination I have also tried pillow ticking with ballistol. With the pillow ticking I would find a very thin ring. Center of patch completely blown out. I estimate 200 rounds fired in this barrel.

One thing I notice is that I can rarely find the patches. Doesn't matter what size ball and patch combination I have also tried pillow ticking with ballistol. With the pillow ticking I would find a very thin ring. Center of patch completely blown out. I estimate 200 rounds fired in this barrel.

I have a .54 Kibler Colonial. I love the gun but I’ve shot about 50 .490 prb thru it with red/wht pillow ticking patches and 80 grns ffg and can rarely find the patch. When I do it’s shredded. I ran a few scotchbrite pads thru the bore hoping to knock off sharp rifling edges. I haven't been able to shoot it since then so not sure if that helped. I use Mr Flintlock lube.

I have a .54 Kibler Colonial. I love the gun but I’ve shot about 50 .490 prb thru it with red/wht pillow ticking patches and 80 grns ffg and can rarely find the patch. When I do it’s shredded. I ran a few scotchbrite pads thru the bore hoping to knock off sharp rifling edges. I haven't been able to shoot it since then so not sure if that helped. I use Mr Flintlock lube.
Are you shooting .490 balls in a .54? or is this a typo?

I just finished a 54 Colonial. Superb kit. My first range session to sight in, used .530 ball, 0.020 patch and 90 grains of 2ffg Old Enysford I put 5 shots into less than an inch at 50 yards. Off a bench of course. This is the same load in all my 54’s and a Pedersoli barrel, Rice Barrel and Colarine barrel all pretty much shoot the same with that load. All my barrels are coned using a tool from Joe Woods. My patches can literally be reused. Depending on the patch lube, I swab between shots, especially with wonderlube. Bumblin Bear grease patches will allow me to shot a long string without swabbing.

With the heavy trigger pull, it is quite likely that you are pulling the rifle to the right as you fire. You may have to adjust the sear to get a lighter trigger pull. This would mean moving the sear arm toward the pin that the trigger rotates. I am assuming that this is a single trigger. If double set triggers (DST) then you need to adjust the release on the DST. Fire from a stable bench rest with the barrel resting on sandbags near the muzzle.

Since you have tried a couple of ball sizes and patch combinations, that leave the barrel as the next object to investigate. What does the crown look like? A sharp crown will cut patches around the circumference of the ball and all that is found is a ring of the patch. If the crown is sharp, then you need to smooth out the crown by getting the metal cutting abrasive paper and using your thumb, smooth the crown by sanding the edge at the muzzle. Perhaps a more tightly woven patch material such as cotton drill cloth is in order. JoAnn's cotton drill measures about 0.017" thick and is a tighter weave than most pillow ticking. Get a 45 caliber jag and a green scotch brite cloth to take some of the last edges off the lands in the barrel. About 50 to 100 passes should do. Jim uses a good grade of steel and it will take a bit longer to break in the and smooth the lands than some other barrels. Clean well after this bore treatment and you should be ready to try shooting again. My first shots would be with a o.490" ball, 0.017" cotton drill cloth or 0.020 canvas patch over 79 grains of powder. Use the 1 part Ballistol to 7 parts of water as the patch lubricant.

Are you shooting .490 balls in a .54? or is this a typo?
Good catch Jim. No I meant .530 RB. I guess a .490 would be a little loose in a .54 huh?

Back