• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Jim KIbler is hiring

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troy2000

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Just got an all-hands notice from Jim Kibler, saying he's accepting applications thru ziprecruiter, at Flintlock Muzzleloader Gunsmith Job in Kensington, OH at Kibler's Longrifles, for an experienced flintlock gunsmith - although reading between the lines, I'm willing to bet he'd trade off a little specific experience for good hand-eye coordination,, a willingness to learn, and some dedication.. No, he didn't specifically say that; it's just my read of the situation.

To repeat, this is the ziprecruiter link. You should be able to just click on it... Flintlock Muzzleloader Gunsmith Job in Kensington, OH at Kibler's Longrifles

It's enough to make me wish I was forty or fifty years younger, because that would have been my dream job.

If this heads-up is in the wrong place or breaks forum rules, I apologize to the moderators and they can move or remove it...

Last edited:
My oldest son thought working for a gun manufacturer would be pretty cool too. No names here but they make really high end competition pistols and are in Central TX.
The reality is that the work is hard, hours are long and pay is low. (Unless you own the business)
Ask Jim how many hours a week he puts in..... Any mention of pay level?

My oldest son thought working for a gun manufacturer would be pretty cool too. No names here but they make really high end competition pistols and are in Central TX.
The reality is that the work is hard, hours are long and pay is low. (Unless you own the business)
Ask Jim how many hours a week he puts in..... Any mention of pay level?
The description says starting at $15.00 - $22.00/hr, depending on experience. I doubt anyone would want to make a long career out of the position, if they're young instead of retired and looking to stay busy. But they'd be getting paid to learn about flintlocks from a master. Jim was a well-respected builder of flintlock works of art for years, when he started his current business making flintlock kits. He combines quality and authenticity with modern CNC technology, and his kits are something to behold. Google Kibler's Longrifles...

Matter of fact, I plan to stimulate the economy by buying one of his southern mountain rifle kits, when I get my check. Unfortunately, the IRS doesn't have a direct deposit account on file for me, and judging by my place in the queue I probably won't get a paper check until sometime in July.

I had to smile at your description of the job; it's probably accurate. Judging from what I've read on home brew forums, that's the same reality that hits people in the face when they get a job at a craft brewery. But some of those who stick it out go on to start their own breweries...

Last edited:
Reading this made me chuckle as I currently work in a craft brewery, and yes people seem to have "unrealistic expectations" shall we say about what the job is going to be like. That said, if you have a strong work ethic and an ability to adapt and learn it can be a very rewarding job... Probably not going to get rich doing it, but I make beer happen with a good bunch of people and get to take a great deal of pride in what we do. I will happily trade that for money any day of the week.... Plus free beer... So you know, I got that going for me! Working for someone like Jim would also be on my short list of job interests.

If I lived in Jim's neck of the woods, I'd be tempted to pull the trigger on my long-deferred retirement and apply for the job. But I don't think my wife would be too happy, if I tried to drag her across the country at this stage in our lives...

And besides, I haven't finished my trebuchet yet.

Attachments

• 20200405_143341.jpg
    20200405_143341.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 95
Trebuchet! Lol. That's awesome Troy! We'll need video of that in operation when done.

Would be very fun to work with Jim Kibler. He and Katherine are great people and solid business owners.

Trebuchet! Lol. That's awesome Troy! We'll need video of that in operation when done.

Would be very fun to work with Jim Kibler. He and Katherine are great people and solid business owners.
Yeah... as far as I can tell without knowing them personally and auditing their books, the two of them seem to have their s*** together and make a good team.

Does a trebuchet count as a muzzleloader? I suppose it depends upon which end of the chute the sling is resting on, when you initially load it.

Last edited:
I had to smile at your description of the job; it's probably accurate. Judging from what I've read on home brew forums, that's the same reality that hits people in the face when they get a job at a craft brewery. But some of those who stick it out go on to start their own breweries...
LOL, yes to both... Ever seen the inside of a blueing-plating shed in the middle of summer? Vats filled with salts and solvents, most heated - middle of summer in Texas - only a fan blowing.

My son-in-law took his dream job at a craft brewery when he graduated from Universtiy of Texas. A fitting job for a 190K education eh?
What a job! - scrubbing out tanks, scooping spent mash from the vats, untold hours wresting kegs in and out of bars.
When he reached his peak as master brewer - he still did not make enough $ to support his family (MY DAUGHTER)
He finally decided to use his expensive education and get a job that is both interesting and pays enough to support a growing family.
BUT - this is drifting off topic. Mr. Kibler offering $22 an hour tops for a well experienced smith? Building for a hobby - heck yea!!!!!

An update: I had read articles that stated paper stimulus checks would go first to low-income people and work up in batches, and predicted my income group wouldn't get ours until July - but our check showed up last week. I promptly stimulated the economy by ordering a southern mountain rifle kit from Kibler Longrifles.
I was shocked by my wife's response, when I handed her the check for her signature so I could deposit it. She's the grim guardian of our family solvency because I happen to be a financial idiot, and I was bracing for all-out war if she tried to disappear the whole shebang into wherever she squirrels windfalls away.

Instead, she looked at me with an ink pen in her hand and asked, "how much of this is mine?"
'Half of it.'
"Just half?"
'Yep. $1200 for you, and $1200 for me.'
"Ok..." She signed, and handed the check to me.
I was tempted to ask, 'who are you, and what have you done with my wife Cindy?' But I decided it would be smarter to just shut up and head for the bank...

Back