• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jim Kibler got it to me quickly

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
purple haze, all in my mind... i also remember the blue musket thing ... i think it was in Muzzle Blasts, but i can't be sure. it was on a trade gun...

still working on my .40 cal SMR with an ash stock ... i'll post photos when it's done...

purple haze, all in my mind... i also remember the blue musket thing ... i think it was in Muzzle Blasts, but i can't be sure. it was on a trade gun...

still working on my .40 cal SMR with an ash stock ... i'll post photos when it's done...
It was on a British trade gun sometimes referred to as the Carolina gun; basically an early version of the Northwest Gun. The differences were in the dragon side plate, the trigger on the Carolina gun was brass, and the butt plate, also brass had a spade shaped finial.

Like the Northwest gun, the tang bolt passed upwards from the trigger guard to the barrel tang

SpringfieldYeah, but, you know, I've read that there were some trade muskets or such that had red or blue painted stocks back in the 18th C. does anyone recall that? I must have read it in Muzzleloader or Muzzle Blasts, some article or n inventory mentioned it, and I think one modern maker painted his stock like this

I read the same thing, that American Indians in the east liked them in blue. I can't remember where I read it, though, I think in a site called Scavenology

Well, Hello Mary Sue, Goodbye heart.

Attachments

• rBVaVV7zCeiAaJmEAAPtSO-7Cuk480.jpg
    rBVaVV7zCeiAaJmEAAPtSO-7Cuk480.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 0
It was on a British trade gun sometimes referred to as the Carolina gun; basically an early version of the Northwest Gun. The differences were in the dragon side plate, the trigger on the Carolina gun was brass, and the butt plate, also brass had a spade shaped finial.

Like the Northwest gun, the tang bolt passed upwards from the trigger guard to the barrel tang

The fourth from the top is a Jack Brooks made Carolina Trade Gun made after the famous extant Bumford painted gun. Gotta love red covered in line-painted black ivy.

…so your geetar idea, OP, isn’t that over the top….

Attachments

• 8F6A47C1-CA7B-49C1-A9E2-7B078016FF8B.jpeg
    8F6A47C1-CA7B-49C1-A9E2-7B078016FF8B.jpeg
    253.8 KB · Views: 0
I thought I would go with rock guitar blue. And a hula girl on the butt. Just sayin

Also, now that Ive dropped by and reread my post and the thread, I realize what prompted you to unleash your iron wit. I’m a bit slow on the upload sometimes. I didn’t mean to write “traditional looking finish” but “traditional finish”, as opposed to more modern finishes that give that over-glossy or deep finish look of a more modern gun. Lots of folks just use what’s handy. Anywho, I’ll leave you fellas to it…

I read the same thing, that American Indians in the east liked them in blue. I can't remember where I read it, though, I think in a site called Scavenology
I remember reading years ago that the Boys Militia of Williamsburg carried blue painted muskets. I've seen photos of them somewhere as well.

Also, now that I've dropped by and reread my post and the thread, I realize what prompted you to unleash your iron wit. I’m a bit slow on the upload sometimes. I didn’t mean to write “traditional looking finish” but “traditional finish” instead of more modern finishes that give that over-glossy or deep finish look of a more modern gun. Lots of folks use what’s handy. Anywho, I’ll leave you, fellas, to it…
Bob, No offense meant, It struck me as an odd comment, but hey, this has turned into a fun and interestingly weird conversation.

I have been researching a great deal about colonial finishes. I found some information that the makers 200 years ago finished with a shellac sealer and a varnish coat. Neither of which strikes me as very weatherproof, Not too much like the aqua fortis finish. I want to have some control over the final product, so I am thinking about an initial couple of coats of black dye with a metallic-based tint, sanding those back then either a yellow (amber maple)or shade of orange followed by an antique maple. This can result in a dark golden maple that is not too dark or too light, and I have seen this on some reproductions.

Living in an apartment now also makes the aqua fortis a challenge. Final finish thinking an oiled base with dulling it a bit. Still thinking and will do some testing with dyes before making any final decisions. Have you used dyes like trans tint? (the black coating of paint does pop the stripes but not sure how light fast it is.)

Bob, No offense meant, It struck me as an odd comment, but hey, this has turned into a fun and interestingly weird conversation.

I have been researching a great deal about colonial finishes. I found some information that the makers 200 years ago finished with a shellac sealer and a varnish coat. Neither of which strikes me as very weatherproof, Not too much like the aqua fortis finish. I want to have some control over the final product, so I am thinking about an initial couple of coats of black dye with a metallic-based tint, sanding those back then either a yellow (amber maple)or shade of orange followed by an antique maple. This can result in a dark golden maple that is not too dark or too light, and I have seen this on some reproductions.

Living in an apartment now also makes the aqua fortis a challenge. Final finish thinking an oiled base with dulling it a bit. Still thinking and will do some testing with dyes before making any final decisions. Have you used dyes like trans tint? (the black coating of paint does pop the stripes but not sure how light fast it is.)

No offense taken at all. As a matter of fact, my odd comment feels right at home in this thread. I've tried most every thing you can imagine but switched long ago to just hitting up someone like Dave Person or Al Martin, and doing what they suggest based on what I'm after. I use analine dyes over Ferric crystals mostly but have used things like 1:3 TransTint Honey Amber/Alcohol under nitrate stains on Maple and like it a bunch. Ask guys like Dave who make high end guns and you can't go wrong. He's great about getting into the weeds with folks on this stuff and he sure knows what works and what doesn't.

Last edited:
No offense taken at all. As a matter of fact, my odd comment feels right at home in this thread. I've tried most every thing you can imagine but switched long ago to just hitting up someone like Dave Person or Al Martin, and doing what they suggest based on what I'm after. I use analine dyes over Ferric crystals mostly but have used things like 1:3 TransTint Honey Amber/Alcohol under nitrate stains on Maple and like it a bunch. Ask guys like Dave who make high end guns and you can't go wrong. He's great about getting into the weeds with folks on this stuff and he sure knows what works and what doesn't.
Yes, I have been communicating with Dave. Beautiful work. Tell me more about your TransTint Honey Amber/Alcohol under nitrate stains. Pictures?

Yeah, but, you know, I've read that there were some trade muskets or such that had red or blue painted stocks, back in the 18th C. Anyone recall that? Must have read it in Muzzleloader or Muzzle Blasts, some article, an inventory mentioned it, and I think one modern maker painted his stock thusly.
I went to Colonial Williamsburg once and sat at the armory and listened to the guy talk about it. Seems to me he stated that they kept blue painted guns there. I forget the reason but seems like he mentioned drilling with the younger militia members. Also, Clay Smith has some painted stock guns on his web site that have historical backgrounds. Check his web site, he has one called the Bumford Style Type G trade gun, a blue painted Type G trade gun, a lightning painted trade gun, and a vine painted trade gun. There's a good back story on the lightning painted gun.

Hi Guys,
Many years ago I made a rifle for a friend, Steve, and he told he had dream about the gun. In his dream the barrel was completely wrapped by chrome exhaust pipe and there were flame decals on the butt stock. I told him I didn't think I could do the pipes but I sure could put on flame decals. Steve's idea of hunting was waking up in his farm house, spotting a deer from his bedroom window, shooting it, and then going back to sleep for an hour or so before going outside to get it.

dave

You might consider tanic acid ,instead of black.(abraided back)

Back