• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Jim Chambers Rifle Kits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since posting a post back on 04/21 in regards to Track of theWolf kits, I've been reading alot on this forum about flint rifle history and various kits available pros/cons, also reading on the web about alot of the history behind flintlock rifles and flint kits. In reading the home page info on Chambers rifles, products, etc., I noticed on all the links about Chambers rifles that the price list is always May, 2010. I assume Chambers Rifles is still in business due to recent talk about his rifles. Anyone have any site that has current pricing. Could always call too.

Reference Chambers kits, everything I read here and elsewhere indicate they are top quality. Wondering how they stack up in regards to stock pre-inletting vs say Tracks and other kits available. Do they require more, less, or about the same as others. I'm interested in Kiblers, but any kit available that does require some moderate or minor fitting of wood/metal, I wouldn't be shy on doing. Also I'm kinda leaning at present on a 40 caliber rifle vs a 36 that I penned about in my post wondering about TOTW kits. Alot of posts by those having and shooting both indicate the 40 is better at long range and with shot placement and toned down powder charges, the 40 isn't much different than the 36 on rabbit/squirrel hunting. I have hunted deer here in Iowa with my 45 TC Hawken, but 45 is the smallest caliber currently allowed. If the law is ever changed to allow 40 caliber, I could use any 40 caliber to hunt whitetails with. If not, I could always build a 50/54 flinter in the future if using the percussion TC loses out. Appreciate any feedback. CC

Chambers is quality but not always without issues. Suggest you search the multi-post of when Dave Persons built my 'Little Fella' rifle. Only his advance skills were able to overcome a couple of the issues. If you want quality wood or a specific barrel be prepared to wait, and wait, for them to get it in stock.

I have built two Chambers kits, which are the only two that I have built so cannot speak to others. I have been nothing but overwhelmed by the outstanding product that they put out and they have been nothing but superb to work with. It is not a weekend project as a Kibler, my first one which was a 54 Cal Edward Marshall took me over 200 hours, but a lot of that was research and double checking to make sure what I was doing was correct. The second one a York in 40 Cal probably took 120 hours or so, much easier second time around. I upgraded wood (to help hide my lack of experience) and was thrilled with both pieces. Yes there were a couple minor issues, but you will get that with any pre-carve (aside from Kiblers) but nothing that was not correctable. If there is a major issue, they will take care of it. I am patiently waiting for a English Fowler from them... And yes, you will wait for a high grade wood.
20190414_0951240.jpg
20200323_163822.jpg

Nice lookin rifles Buckskinn!!! You mentioned getting wood thats over the normal kit grade. Is the wood on these one step or two over what is normally provided. Nice color and grain. At first I thought they may be the same rifle, not having enough knowledge to ID certain models and builders. I noticed at least to my eyes a difference in the rear of the locks and certain grain differences at certain areas. Maybe I'm all wet, but nice looking. I won't have a problem with minor fitting, but having never even loaded or shot a flint rifle I guess the biggest thing I'd be concerned about is getting the lock right, trigger too for reliable ignition. I've done alot of gun work over the years, but it was always modifications to an existing firearm.

Have done alot of stock refinishing, some gun bluing. Put together a old Remington 22 bolt action once that was broke in around four pieces that is hard to tell unless a keen eye is used. Sort of along the lines you mentioned I go slow, read and reread as much as I can, measure and check alot to make sure what I'm doing will be right, then do it. The Chambers offerings look good, might give a call to see what is available, current prices also as all I see is listed for May 2010 Would do a York as it is available in the 40 caliber. Don't want anything bigger. Then again, a Kibler might be the way I should go to get a feel on a flint build, then on a 2nd go around tackle a Chambers or TOTW kit.

Hi,
These links will help.
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...s-isaac-haines-rifle-kit.116533/#post-1594212https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/building-a-chambers-little-fellas-rifle.110688/
Chambers kits are very good but they can involve a lot of work and there is plenty of room to screw up and make them ugly. It is harder to do that with Kibler kits. One problem for folks new to building with only experience of modern guns or modern commercial versions of muzzleloaders is they rarely know what an original gun looked like. The beauty of the Kiblers is they are already well shaped and representative of good architecture before you ever start. They serve as nice models showing you what a rifle of that style should look like. That said, that precision shaping limits your ability to modify them, whereas there is more freedom and possibilities with Jim Chambers kits. It is a trade off. You can end up with beautiful guns with highest quality components from both maker's kits but there is less chance you will screw up with a Kibler.

dave

Thank you Dave for the info. Helps alot. I'm pretty well decided 99.999% at present to go with a Kibler kit. Mostly due to the fact I've never attempted a rifle kit before or had much experience with flint rifles and want a better understanding of them before doing a kit that involves alot important metal/wood tuning. The high quality marks everyone gives Kiblers is important also. Also I'll be a busy beaver this spring and summer with house and yard projects and although I can give time to a Kibler, any other kit that requires the hours many say is needed for a Track, Chambers, or other offering would not allow me to be able to shoot later this summer or into the fall. I wanna make smoke ASP, although I won't slam a Kibler kit together my any means. Probably be one of those Kibler builders if I keep track of the hours and post it, everyone would say "He spent that much time on a Kibler kit"!!!

I had seriously thought of doing a kit last winter as project, but finishing up house renovation before cold and snow hit and then the dreaded Chinese Flu kept me with lack of energy and drive for around six weeks. Thanks for posting your two links of the Chambers Haines and Little Fella projects. Rifleman1776 mentioned your build of his Little Fella in his post and I wore out my Keyboard searching for it. Both links look very interesting and I plan to read each. I talked with Jim Kibler last week about the availability of a Southern build in either 36 or 40, either was promising for a fairly quick turnaround. I think a recall to Kibler's will take place this week and order placed. Already envisioning my self in my back yard range and my river stompin area making smoke, boom, and dead eye hits. I've already shot several squirrels with a build. HaHa!!!!!! Thanks again. Crow Choker

I just finished a Kibler. Then I picked up the phone and called Chambers to order a PA Fowler. I will pick it up at the NMLRA shoot in June. The price was the same as what's listed on his sight.

I do not remember what grade of wood they were, but I do know they gave me a good deal on them! I get high grades of wood to hide my lack of experience and knowledge as Dave was referring to. The only two flinters I've ever seen in person or at least up close are above. So at least I don't know what I'm missing and since I live in Wisconsin and not Pennsylvania nobody around here does either!

Prices for Chambers are what they have on website.

I have built two Chambers kits, which are the only two that I have built so cannot speak to others. I have been nothing but overwhelmed by the outstanding product that they put out and they have been nothing but superb to work with. It is not a weekend project as a Kibler, my first one which was a 54 Cal Edward Marshall took me over 200 hours, but a lot of that was research and double checking to make sure what I was doing was correct. The second one a York in 40 Cal probably took 120 hours or so, much easier second time around. I upgraded wood (to help hide my lack of experience) and was thrilled with both pieces. Yes there were a couple minor issues, but you will get that with any pre-carve (aside from Kiblers) but nothing that was not correctable. If there is a major issue, they will take care of it. I am patiently waiting for a English Fowler from them... And yes, you will wait for a high grade wood.View attachment 75510View attachment 75511
Beautiful work!

Back