• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Jim Chambers flintlock rifle kits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've built 2 Chambers Early Lancaster parts sets and both arrived shortly after the order was placed. There were a couple of mistakes which were repaired and learned a lot and the finished products were very handsome. Shown below is one of the Chambers LRs.....Fred

Attachments

• LehtoL245LRSVhi.jpg
    LehtoL245LRSVhi.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 0
Some people have the patience of a saint. I unfortunately am not of that tribe. Waiting for a custom gun or my dinner is just too painful. My brother in law was one of those people, he told me he actually enjoyed the wait for things he ordered. That was about the only saintly thing about him God rest his soul.

I am not aware of any other hobby where it takes as long to get products as it does with the muzzleloader parts production industry.
I’ll bet if someone ordered a custom-built race car just like the one that won the last Indy 500 it would be finished, shipped, and parked in their garage in less time than it takes to get a finished gun ( or even a complete UNASSEMBLED parts set ) from Chambers or TVM and other suppliers.
And don’t even get me started on The Rifle Shoppe.
These places have multiple employees and stock duplicators, too.
I understand not wanting to have a huge amount of time and money tied up in parts, but most of these places pretty much know how many stocks, barrels, locks and parts, etc. that they are going to sell over the course of a year, especially the more popular items. Maybe they are undercapitalized and operate on shoestring budgets or something.
Looks like they would be concerned over all the business they lose by not keeping anything in stock, causing a lot of potential customers to buy lesser quality factory guns, or used custom ones when they can be found.
Here we go again I've never bought anyones kits But I do know Jim Chambers he's a great fellow full off fun & I got one well . Bought locks but rolled my own guns .I suppose ime saying Pobodies nerfect give the makers a break.
Rudyard

In a world of instant gratification,
Spoiled rotten children(all of us)
And technocrappollah!what gets left out? God, Art,and fine things!
A fine flint lock is a piece of art.
And resourcing has not gotten easier and gunmakers get worn out!
(They even die😇)
And for myself,i aint in no hurry.!
Art takes the time it takes .
And when is chicken done?
When its cooked-all the way.😳
If you want it fast order a itl. Ready out the box.And then whine forever how its "not really what i wanted"
Or,.. Learn a little patience!

I had ordered a Isaac Haines rifle from Jim Chambers on March 21, 2022 with a fancy maple stock. Barbie just called me on January 13, 2023 to tell me my kit was shipped, and that she sent me an email with a tracking number. Now I'm all excited to get it. Not sure how long it will take to get it back from my builder once he gets in his hands.

I know at one time around a year ago when talking with the gal at the office, she advised that due to all the Covid shutdowns, shipping waits and such gun parts they order and/or parts for parts were in short supply and way way behind. Also the area they get their wood from had a devasting storm that ruined alot of the trees harvested for stocks and the person who cut their trees and stock blanks was swamped/behind schedule.

I built my Chambers Lancaster .58 in 1994, and my .50 cal York about 2000.
Yesterday I called the shop and spoke with Karen. Barbie and Jim were there as they helped Karen check stock for me. Well it seems I’ll be driving to Candler next week to pick up a Mark Silver VA rifle in .58. Can’t wait to get started. The only part that was not in stock was the lock. But I will get some work done and remain patient.
It is great to see good people doing good work. I don’t think you can beat a Chambers flintlock.
Rick

Barbie and Jim are good people. I am thinking about an Isaac Haines left-handed rifle in 50 cal. They have answered a lot of my questions over the two years I have been into this hobby. Someday I will take a drive up there.

I think the days are gone when we could order parts and have them in our hand in a week or so, I don't see it getting better. I remember the days when I could call Colerain or Rice and have a barrel headed my way shortly after my call. I am almost a year and a half waiting on a specific odd ball pistol barrel now.

I do wonder if there are more of us jumping into building than there were in the past. KIbler sales could be an indicator, if he ever offers percussion rifles, he will probably have to build a new facility to handle the orders. I know a lot of guys who just don't like flint at all but love historically correct rifles in percussion.

After being teched out, people are returning to traditional archery in droves which could be the same thing that is happening in B/P.

One thing that surprises me is the ammo shortage. If I ran an ammo factory I would be using this current shortage / demand to purchase more equipment, ramp up production and take business from my competitors. Of course that would only work if you could get the equipment, materials and labor to do so. The Wutang flu shutdowns have so disrupted our economy and supply chain it might not get back to normal in some of our lifetimes.

I think the days are gone when we could order parts and have them in our hand in a week or so, I don't see it getting better. I remember the days when I could call Colerain or Rice and have a barrel headed my way shortly after my call. I am almost a year and a half waiting on a specific odd ball pistol barrel now.

I do wonder if there are more of us jumping into building than there were in the past. KIbler sales could be an indicator, if he ever offers percussion rifles, he will probably have to build a new facility to handle the orders. I know a lot of guys who just don't like flint at all but love historically correct rifles in percussion.

After being teched out, people are returning to traditional archery in droves which could be the same thing that is happening in B/P.
I venture, all the aforesaid is true. And,perhaps after all the ammo shortages, powder shortages, primer shortages .Some have realised the value of a less complicated tool .

I made it out to Candler to pick up my parts. Barbie helped me pick the best of 3 upgraded stocks available. And they were able to locate a lock for my Mark Silver VA rifle so I will get started right away.
This will be my third Chambers build (York and Lancaster), my second time to Chambers shop, and my first time meeting Jim, although I have spoken with him on the phone years ago. Good people. Seeing their operation really makes me think of ordering a PA fowler, even before starting the rifle.

Latest posts

Back