• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Jim Chambers flintlock rifle kits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deerhunter54

Black Powder Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know how long it takes to get a flintlock rifle kit from Jim Chambers? I had ordered a Isaac Haines kit on March 21, 2022, I received the barrel in the mail mid June 2022. I never got the stock or the other parts. I called Chambers and spoke with Barbie, she told me as soon as they got the stock cut out the rest of my order would be shipped. It's been 5 months yesterday (08/21/2022). Is this a normal wait time for Jim Chambers rifle kit? When I had made the purchase, Barbie said it would be 8 - 12 weeks, it's been 20 weeks now. I've been told Chambers kits are one of best.I have a gun builder who is going to help me put it together.

Did you order extra fancy maple? I ordered their English Fowler kit and it does take a lot longer the fancier the wood. But I will say well worth it love my Fowler.
I did order the fancy maple. I've never seen or handled a Jim Chambers rifle. I've seen pictures. From what I have been reading about what people are saying, they are worth the wait time. I guess I just gotta try to be patience.

I ordered a left hand Issac Haines 45 with one upgrade on the wood. She told me a year at first and then 4-6 months. Two days after the order I was notified of a shipment coming. Don’t really know what all is coming but seems odd.

When I ordered mine I was told there would be a considerable wait for a barrel in the caliber I originally wanted. Ditto for a fancy piece of wood. I agreed to a different caliber and plain wood. I got the impression they do not keep much inventory and order from their sources only when a customer wants something.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get a flintlock rifle kit from Jim Chambers? I had ordered a Isaac Haines kit on March 21, 2022, I received the barrel in the mail mid June 2022. I never got the stock or the other parts. I called Chambers and spoke with Barbie, she told me as soon as they got the stock cut out the rest of my order would be shipped. It's been 5 months yesterday (08/21/2022). Is this a normal wait time for Jim Chambers rifle kit? When I had made the purchase, Barbie said it would be 8 - 12 weeks, it's been 20 weeks now. I've been told Chambers kits are one of best.I have a gun builder who is going to help me put it together.
I have been thinking of ordering either a Kibler or Chambers kit and still can't decide at the moment. I've done a few production kits so far with another one lined up for the fall. I'd hate to order one and have my money tied up for 6 months to a year when I could have just ordered the parts and gotten it done sooner.

Here is a Chambers built rifle for inspiration, and no I am not the builder.

IMG_1572.JPG
IMG_1573.JPG
IMG_1574.JPG
IMG_1575.JPG
IMG_1577.JPG

We all need patience when it comes to semi-custom or custom rifle orders. You are making a good choice by having a gun builder assist; I think the Chambers' need a bit more tweaking than the Kiblers. Good luck!

I am not aware of any other hobby where it takes as long to get products as it does with the muzzleloader parts production industry.
I’ll bet if someone ordered a custom-built race car just like the one that won the last Indy 500 it would be finished, shipped, and parked in their garage in less time than it takes to get a finished gun ( or even a complete UNASSEMBLED parts set ) from Chambers or TVM and other suppliers.
And don’t even get me started on The Rifle Shoppe.
These places have multiple employees and stock duplicators, too.
I understand not wanting to have a huge amount of time and money tied up in parts, but most of these places pretty much know how many stocks, barrels, locks and parts, etc. that they are going to sell over the course of a year, especially the more popular items. Maybe they are undercapitalized and operate on shoestring budgets or something.
Looks like they would be concerned over all the business they lose by not keeping anything in stock, causing a lot of potential customers to buy lesser quality factory guns, or used custom ones when they can be found.

I am not aware of any other hobby where it takes as long to get products as it does with the muzzleloader parts production industry.
I’ll bet if someone ordered a custom-built race car just like the one that won the last Indy 500 it would be finished, shipped, and parked in their garage in less time than it takes to get a finished gun ( or even a complete UNASSEMBLED parts set ) from Chambers or TVM and other suppliers.
I understand not wanting to have a huge amount of time and money tied up in parts, but most of these places pretty much know how many stocks, barrels, locks and parts, etc. that they are going to sell over the course of a year, especially the more popular items. Maybe they are undercapitalized and operate on shoestring budgets or something.
Looks like they would be concerned over all the business they lose by not keeping anything in stock, causing a lot of potential customers to buy lesser quality factory guns, or used custom ones when they can be found.

All are small specialty businesses. Patience is the watchword - when we were running a sutlery, my wife was backlogged two years on custom clothing orders. I have learned to tell myself to abide patiently, or not order it. And at my age, waiting eats up years, of which I have only a limited allotment.

David
NM

All are small specialty businesses. Patience is the watchword - when we were running a sutlery, my wife was backlogged two years on custom clothing orders. I have learned to tell myself to abide patiently, or not order it. And at my age, waiting eats up years, of which I have only a limited allotment.

David

NM
Why not hire or contract with a couple of more people to increase production?
I know that something like that is not always easily done, there are people out there that can do that kind of work.

Got my shipment yesterday and it’s just the barrel. Looking at the Rice website the barrel I got seems kind of odd/special order. It’s a 38” premium heritage swamp with square cut rifling B weight.45. The square cut is not standard on that profile according to the Rice website.

This will be my second Chambers Issac Haines. I have a 50 B weight. So why another you may ask. I wanted one in the all American 45 caliber and for me nothing fits and points as well.

Last edited:
I built an a Chambers IH in 54 back in 2009. Barbie was super helpful.I asked for a fancy grade stock but was told the wait would be painful.She said since I had expressed a desire for fancy but the wait was so long, she would personally pick out a stock of the next tier down- she did a fine job. I did have to wait quite some time for all the parts to come in. I had many questions and recieved many answers from some very experienced builders. I don't know how to link those threads but there must be some kind of search to find it. The wait was well worth it. As I remember I anticipated quite a long wait and ordered it months before I planned on actually starting the project.

Why not hire or contract with a couple of more people to increase production?
I know that something like that is not always easily done, there are people out there that can do that kind of work.
I think TVA has a staff, almost like an "assembly line" to build orders. It's got to be tricky to find dedicated skilled workers for that sort of product!

Back