• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Jim Bridgers first rifle.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJC

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was at a museum that is just down the road from me. It is called The Native American Museum and it is here in Bentonville AR.

http://monah.us/museum.html

While walking around and seeing all the great displays I noticed a muzzleloader in the corner of one display.

It turns out it is Jim Bridger's first rifle that he made for himself.

It is a full stock .50 cal. It started out as flint but was converted to percussion.

I guess he made it when he was a gunsmith. I did not know he was a gunsmith.

I wish I had a picture but while talking to the curator I forgot to snap a shot.

Its worth see if you are in the area. Some great Indian head gear. I thought that the stuff you see on westerns was just Hollywood garb but they had some serious talent in making that stuff.

Dang...I need to go see that.

I was raised in NW Benton County (many moons ago) and my sister lives just over the city limits in Rogers.

I'll definitely go see it next time I visit her.

Tnx for the post.

Jim Bridger lost his mother when he was 12 and his father (a surveyor and tavern owner among other jobs) when he was 13.

He worked at a ferry and then apprenticed to become a blacksmith.

Jim Bridger joined General William Ashley's Upper Missouri Expedition when he was 17 years old.

I have never heard of him being a gunsmith and I doubt he ever was.

Although the welding he would have done while learning to be a blacksmith could be useful in making a rough barrel blank, there is a world of difference between blacksmithing and gunsmithing.

Had the museum said the gun was used during the Mountain Man era they might have been right.

Had they said the gun was owned by Bridger at one time there is a small possibility they could have been right.

To say Bridger built it is, IMO, stretching it a bit far.

John Adams was related to the beer guy Sam. I think he did some stuff in the revolution and got some government job later on. He also sailed on HMAV Bounty with Bligh and Christian, ran with Mckinze in Canada. Busy guy. You heard of Jesse James? Seems he had a great great uncle or so that kicked up a little fuss in Missouri right after the war between the states.
I wonder if James Bridger built a gun, years after the fact someone was to say, why looky here, a rifle gun built by Jim Bridger???

Aside from all the doubting Thomas's regarding Bridger's early life: "Col. Grenville M. Dodge recorded that while on survey parties Jim Bridger related that he was born in Richmond Va. In 1812 he came to the American Bottoms at Illinoistown and with the death of both parents in 1817 he was apprenticed to Philip Creamer (Gunsmith). On Feb. 13, 1822, he went with Maj. William H. Ashley on his first expedition and became one of the most renowned mountain men." I have more about Bridger's apprenticeship but have to go digging through my books and archives. From memory, I'm pretty sure young Bridger ran away at some point during his apprenticeship and there exists an early news paper clipping advertising his return for a reward by Creamer the gunsmith. Philip Creamer was a very talented gunsmith who started out working in Maryland and later moved to Illinois. Many of his rifle's and pistols, many which are fine "golden age" pieces have survived to this day. His guns are highly sought after by collectors of Kentucky rifles. I am pretty sure that the museum rifle described by BJC in his opening post is this one also described in the KRA "Brown Book" from an article written by Daniel Hartzler. "The rifle is brass mounted but plain and has seen much use. It was originally in flint and has been converted to percussion and the lock was apparently replaced. The present lock is stamped "Fall and Cunningham Nashville Tenne," The 50 caliber swamped barrel is crudely stamped "P. Creamer" on the top facet and the bottom of the forged barrel is crudely stamped " J.A.B.___ker" which is believed to read J.A.B. maker. Research has not revealed any journeymen or other apprentices working for him (Creamer) in the West. If someone could find the middle initial of Bridger it would be exciting to know that he really participated in the manufacture of this rifle and others used by his compatriots in the shining mountains."

This post would be found on page 5 of the ALR antique rifle collecting forum. It was from Gibster back in May 2015. Pictures of this rifle are included.

Yep, that's the rifle..

It just blew me away that this rifle is just a few blocks from my house and I had no idea. Literally 3 blocks from my house.

tenngun said:
I I'm less then 2 hours away so I need to get there thx for this post :thumbsup:

Its a very small museum with very few guns. The head dresses are awesome though.

While in town you can also see Crystal Bridges Museum. It is a Museum started by Sam Walton's daughter and it is world known. It is only American artist and it has some very old paintings.

You can also come see our Cabela's. I like it 10 times better than Bass Pro.

Zonie said:
Jim Bridger lost his mother when he was 12 and his father (a surveyor and tavern owner among other jobs) when he was 13.

He worked at a ferry and then apprenticed to become a blacksmith.

Jim Bridger joined General William Ashley's Upper Missouri Expedition when he was 17 years old.

I have never heard of him being a gunsmith and I doubt he ever was.

Although the welding he would have done while learning to be a blacksmith could be useful in making a rough barrel blank, there is a world of difference between blacksmithing and gunsmithing.

Had the museum said the gun was used during the Mountain Man era they might have been right.

Had they said the gun was owned by Bridger at one time there is a small possibility they could have been right.

To say Bridger built it is, IMO, stretching it a bit far.
The "blacksmith" that Bridger apprenticed under was famed gun and high quality lock smith(both flint and percussion) Philip Creamer.
The majority of 1800's era gunsmiths also did a lot of blacksmithing, including many mundane tasks such as making tires, knives, axes - both from scratch as well as re-steeling them. Look at the Hawken Bros sales records listed in Charles Hansen's book and you'll see just how varied a smith's could be.
So Jim did at least train in part as a gunsmith, but there's no record of him being a journeyman or master of the craft. In any case there is no absolute proof as of yet except for the barrel stamps which are not clear. Even them I am doubtful that Jim had much more input than that presumably put into the making of the barrels and hardware.
One interesting thing I have found is the similarity between this rifles and a Hawken in the BBHC Collection - Link to Hawken Pics
Prior to the Hawken shop taking on the USA Indian Dept repairs contract, Philip Creamer did. It also shows the same influences and details that denote what a mountain or Plains rifle was.

Latest posts

Back