• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Jerky, smoked fish, and other preservin recipes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VENISON SUMMER SAUSAGE

8 pounds of venison
2 pounds of lean pork
1 tablespoon black ground pepper
6 tablesoons salt
5 tablespoons sugar (some use brown sugar)
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon ground mustard (dry)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
6 tablespoons of corn syrup (liquid or solids)

this is a recipe my friend gave me. I made it a couple times and it was good. After it was all mixed, I stuffed it into casings and smoked it in my smoke house at medium heat for 4 hours (until you get a nice bloom). I then put it in the oven and bring the internal temperature of the sausage up to 165 degrees. After that remove the sausage and dunk it in a tub of ice cold water and cool that sausage down as fast as possible. This will stop all the juices from settling to one part of the sausage and keep the flavor even throughout the stick.

Because there is no preservative in this sausage I store it in the freezer. I take each of the sticks and vacuum seal them. Then all you do is unthaw and enjoy.

Submitted by Cayugad

Sausage

1 quart ice water
6 Tbsp salt
2 Tbsp powdered dextrose or brown sugar
2 tsp of Modern Cure (Prague Powder #1)
1 Tbsp Black Pepper
2 Cloves of garlic (minced)
1 tsp marjoram
1 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground ginger
8 lbs lean meat (venison, elk, antelope, etc)
2 lbs fat pork or trimmings (butt roast, rib, etc)

This also makes a good fresh breakfast sausage with the elimination of the cure, an increase in the fat meat to a 50/50 mix and cut the salt to 4 Tbsp. Great with eggs and biscuits...

I do one grind thru 1/4 or 3/16 plate and mix all the meat by hand. I then add the spices and water and mix again so it's as homogenous as I can make it. At this point, take a teaspoon of meat and cook in the microwave to taste for flavor. Adjust if necessary. Pack into the casing size of your choice then hang for 45 minutes at room temperature. Smoke at low temp for another 45 minutes or so with the damper open to dry a bit more, then smoke 2-3 hours at 160-170 degrees. The inside of the product should reach 152 degrees to kill possible trichinicae.
Remove from the smoke and hang until sufficiently dry to your liking. Some folks like it softer but we prefer it chewy - more like jerky. Of course, you can play with any of the spices to make it hotter or have a particular flavor come out. The only other advice I have is to keep the meat COLD prior to smoking. Some people abuse ground sausage meat but I treat it just like filet mignon and the final product will reflect your care in handling.

Submitted by Anvil

Corned Venison

3-5 lb venison roast (I prefer Rump)
1 T Mortons Curing salt per lb. of meat
1 Garlic cloves per lb. of meat
1 Bay leaf per lb. of meat
1 Whole clove per lb. of meat
1/2 T Whole coriander seeds per lb. of meat
2 T Whole peppercorns per lb. of meat
1 T Whole mustard seeds per lb. of meat
1/8 c Brown sugar per lb. of meat

Crush all ingredients together and rub into ALL sides of the roast, place in covered glass or crock dish ( or zip-lock bag) in Fridge, 'SQUISH' it around every day for 3-5 days (thinner= less--Thick= more) then either freeze till later OR cook it now... I like to cook mine in a dutch oven w/ baby red 'taters, baby carrots, and brussel sprouts...

Submitted by Badwind

Grampa Herbs Corned Deer meat
You need a plastic 5 gallon bucket with lid:

2 gallons water
3 pounds of table salt
2 pounds of Brown Sugar
2 ounces of Baking Soda
2 OUNCES of salt peter
Does 15 pounds of just meat
Ready to eat in 1 week

Submitted by Halftail

Jerky

4 cups liquid hickory
1 cup water
1 TB of dehydrated minced onion
1/2 TB salt
3/4 TB garlic powder
3/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
3/4 cup soy sauce
3/4 TB lemon pepper
3/4 TB pepper
3/4 cup Jack Daniels (optional)
put all the ingredients into a tight sealing container and mix real good....then cut your venison into strips and put in marinade and let soak for 48 hours in the fridge....then i use my electric oven and turn it on so that the oven temp light just comes on....it should be bout 120 - 130 degrees at this lowest setting that you can put it on....sit there for bout an hour stabbing these little pieces of meat till your back hurts and line them on the oven rack like in the pic....use a wooden spoon on the sides of it to hold open the oven door so that the oven is staying on almost all the time....it should be bout 8 - 10 hours and your jerky is done....then sit there fer bout another hour take all them picks out of your meat and enjoy your hard work....you can keep it in a plain ol gallon size ziplock bag....it should keep like that for bout a couple of months or more if it lasts that long.................

Submitted by Bob1961

VENISON / BEEF JERKY
(5-6 LBS BEEF / VENISON)

1 CUP SOY SAUCE
1 CUP WORCHESTERSHIRE SAUCE
1 CUP APPLE JUICE
1/4 CUP SUGAR
2 TABLESPOONS LIQUID SMOKE (OMIT IF USING A SMOKER)
1-1/2 TEASPOONS GARLIC POWDER
2 TEASPOONS BLACK PEPPER
1 TEASPOON ONION POWDER
3 OZS. MAPLE SYRUP
2 TEASPOONS LUIZIANNE CAJUN SEASONING
2-1/2 OZS. DURKEE RED HOT (OR RED PEPPER)

COMBINED ALL INGREDIENTS AND MARINATE MEAT FOR 48 HOURS.

CUT 1/4 THICK WITH THE GRAIN, BY 1

Jerky
2 lbs. venison, sliced 1/8 inch thick, with the grain
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. salt
1 tsp. ground red pepper
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 cup corn whiskey
1 cup water
OR substitute 2 cups red wine for the whiskey and water

Submitted by Tyrone

Jerky

2 lbs. venison, sliced 1/8 inch thick, with the grain
2 cups water
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1 cup beer
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup salt
dash Worcestershire sauce

Submitted by Tyrone

Jerky
My favorite jerky seasoning is one I make my self. This is a mix of peppers , raw sugar and salt. Works on all meats and is mighty powerfull stuff. This is a no liquid added recipe.

For my "Rub"
1 cup kosher salt, if you use table salt reduce by at least 1/2.
3cups raw brown sugar, for a milder sweeter taste cut brown sugar with white sugar to around equal parts.
1/4 cup garlic granules,
2 tablespoons black pepper,
2 table spoons ground red pepper
2-3 table spoons smoked dried jalapeno pepper powder
I make up the pepper mix my self, I dry my own jalapenos by slicing and smoking them until very dry , dry enough to crumble.I grind all my pepper in a coffee mill to keep the dust down. Mix all dry together and springle and rub into sliced meat,

CAUTION DO NOT RUB YOUR EYES OR TOUCH ANY PART OF YOUR BODY THAT YOU MIGHT CONSIDER VITAL UNTIL AFTER YOU HAVE THOURGLY WASHED YOUR HANDS, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

I slice the meat thin by hand with a sharp knife. Once meat is all coverd it goes into a ziploc bag over night. Next morning remove meat from bag and either:
rinse, for whimps,
squeeze off liquid, for girlie men,
or just let drip dry an hour then rack em up and smoke, not too much smoke as that is all you will taste is hot flavored smoke. In my Big Chief smoker 3 pans of chips over 10-12 hours is plenty. When done there is some mighty fine jerky. Not traditional but mighty fine.

Submitted by Bullwnkl

Brine for turkey
Here is the brine for a turkey / grouse or any wild Bird you would like to brine, cure and then smoke. Store bought turkey will work just fine also.

1/4 tsp cure
7gal water
5 lb salt
1.5 lb sugar
Large turkey soak 5 days*
small turkey soak 3 days*

smoke for 12 hours

Inside temp of meat should reach 160 before you remove it from smoker.

Submitted by Woodhick

*Editors note, most home smokers have a hard time acheiving a high enough temp. so size of turkeys to be smoked should be limited to under 10 lbs.

Jimbo's Jalapeno-Cheese Deer Bologna

15lbs ground venison
5 lbs ground pork butt
6 tbsp morton tender quick cure
4 tbsp mustard seeds
4 tbsp black pepper
2 tbsp crushed red pepper
4 tbsp garlic salt or powder
8 oz diced pimientos (optional)
10-20 Fresh Jalapeno Peppers (to taste)
2 lbs Velveeta (or 2 lbs pimiento cheese)

Grind the Venison and pork med to fine. Mix all ingredients
except peppers, pimientos, and cheese together in large bowl.
Refrigerate 3 days (including day mixed). Knead daily.

On 4th day, remove seeds and scrape pulp from peppers, dice
very fine. Dice Velveeta into 1/8 " squares (works best if
partially frozen) and return to freezer for 1 hour after
dicing. Knead peppers, frozen cheese. and pimientos into
sausage. Using sausage stuffer, fill 3 " red casings, twisting
off and tying 12 " links. Wipe dry with paper towels and
refrigerate 12 to 14 hours.

Smoke in smoker for 8 hours (80 to 100 degrees). Bake 8
or so hours at 140 degrees (internal temperature should read
140 degrees for 1 hour). Be careful not to exceed 140 degrees
or fat could render and cheese could melt. Be sure that 140
degrees is held for 1 hour to kill all bacteria. (I also wipe
all surfaces, containers, and utensils with a mild Clorox
solution and then wipe dry.)

Vacuum pack and freeze. Best if eaten within 6 months.

Pemmican

1# venison or equivalent; tough cuts are fine.
2# raisins
4 oz dried country ham, prosciutto, or cooked bacon
1/2 teaspoon salt

honey or peanut butter (optional)

Preparation: Cook the meat using dry-cook method - roasted uncovered for an hour, or dry-smoked until well done. Using the coarse blade on meat grinder, grind the meat. Combine the ground meat with all other ingredients. Change to the fine blade on grinder, and run the mixture through again. Form into golf ball size globs and wrap them individually in aluminum foil. Store the in the freezer. Like jerky, pemmican is basis for endless variation.
Although this recipe holds together well, you can substitute a few teaspoons of honey or peanut butter to achieve the binding effect of animal fat. for a more regional interpretation, replace raisins with any other seedless dried fruit-tart cherries, cranberries, Saskatoon berries or blueberries. Dried onions, sunflower seeds or nut add a different flavor.

Submitted by Fort Greene Ville

Fish Jerky

Cut ocean pearch fillets into 1x6" strips.
soaked in tabasco...to taste
1/2 soy and 1/2 worcestershire and
juice of one lemon.
Pat dry and dry in oven(door open) at
120 degrees...no higher than 150.
I used a dehydrater and it took 6 hours.
Don't know about the oven method.

Submitted by Snake-Eyes

Parched Corn

Here's a method that works well for me.
---------------------------------

First, peel back the husks on the ears of corn and hang them until they are dry. I hang them from the rafters in the garage as it stays nice and warm there.

After the corn is dry, I remove it from the cob and place it in a tray and let it dry a little more. At this point you have "dried corn".

You can stop now and save the corn until you are on a trip and parch it then or parch the corn ahead of time at home.

To "parch" the corn, cover the bottom of a cast iron skillet with a single layer of corn and roast it (shaking occasionally) until the kernels swell up and take on a slight brown toasted color.

That's it! You now have parched corn. You can eat it as is or throw it in soup or powder it to thicken soup or stew.

Submitted by: Claude

Lenape Pemmican

Ingredients:

(5) oz. of chipped beef
(1) 6 1/2 oz. of roasted peanuts
(1) cup of seedless raisins
(1) 8 oz. bar of beef suet

Preparation:

Dry beef on a cookie sheet for 20 minutes @ 140 degree oven, chop nuts and raisins up into small pieces, melt suet in a large skillet - low heat. Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl (beef cut in 1/4" shreds), add melted suet - mix thoroughly. Spread mixture in half inch layer in shallow pan, refrigerate until the layer is hard and then slice into squares. Wrapped in foil, bars stay clean and fresh, will keep for a year in freezer.

(makes 1 1/2 lbs) a quick trail lunch / high energy.

This was rewritten in the 1930’s for use in a hunting camp in Pennsylvania, the original 1840’s recipe has been lost in the passage of time.

Submitted by buck conner

Jerky
My favorite jerky recipe is simple and very bold in flavor....I've used beef and venison, I'm sure there is other stuff to try.
2 bottles of low sodium soy sauce
2 bottles of low sodium worcheshire sauce
2 bottles of hickory flavored liquid smoke
Mix all the sauces together in a large bowl,
Then slice jerky meat no thicker than 1/4 inch thick and add.
I marinate for 12 hours then dehydrate either in oven or dehydrater.
If you like bold flavor and low salt... This is the recipe for you!

BASIC JERKED MEAT
Works with venison or lean beef
1-2 tablespoons of sea salt
1 gallon of water
1 teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper (may be omitted)
Slice off any large fatty areas, then slice the meat into 1/2 wide strips, about 1/4 inch thick.
Add the pepper to the water and salt, or omit if you don't want the spice. Soak the raw meat in the brine for a few hours, then put the meat into a drier/dehydrator or an oven with a jerky rack and on the lowest setting.

SHIP'S BISCUIT
3 cups, whole wheat pastry flour (closest flour we have to what they had in the 18th century)
1 cup whole wheat bran (they used a flour known as "ship's stuff" that was full of chaff)
Water
Make the whole into a stiff dough. Roll it out to about 1/4 inch thick, and using a round cutter (a biscuit cutter or an inverted 12-ounce tumbler works) cut out the biscuits into rounds. Then with a fork, poke a bunch of holes into the biscuits to help let out moisture. Place them on a baking sheet and bake at 200 degrees for a few hours until good and dry.

ROCKAHOMINY
I like to use dry, dent corn. Though you may find that 50 lbs. is a bit much, it's good to have several folks "go in on" a bag.
https://shop.honeyville.com/yellow-corn-50lb.html
I lb. of dry dent corn
One cast iron or steel skillet, dry.
Metal bowl
A coffee mill
Add corn to the skillet to make a single layer, and heat the skillet. Brown the corn, and it may make a popping noise, and some kernels may "jump" but they won't pop like popcorn. When the kernels are browned, pour them into the metal bowl and repeat until the whole pound is finished.

You now have "parched" corn. This will keep for years if kept dry, and you can stop here if you wish.

To complete the process you grind the parched corn into meal with the coffee mill. You then have Rockahominy. It is not the same thing as cornmeal, nor toasted cornmeal, as the exterior of the kernals is all that are browned, which kills off any insect eggs that might be found in a kernel or two, as well as killing off fungus.

LD

Back