Quantcast

Jeremiah Johnson movie clothing

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

bprvan

32 Cal
Reaction score
I believe in Osborne Russel's book, he relates having a 30 something caliber rifle when he went west. Also the Lewis and Clark expedition had a small (.36?) that was one of the Captain's personal rifle. Neither of these were Hawken style rifles for sure, but at least give credibility to small bore rifles in the early fur trade, even if only 2 examples.
I'm sure , as mentioned, the movie industry in the 70's was not so interested in historical accuracy.
One scene shows the adopted boy randomly dumping beaver castor near a trap-a modern #4 Victor longspring. He is holding his nose. As a trapper myself, I find beaver castor to be a very pleasant scent. It is used in the perfume industry even today.
During the trek of Lewis and Clark there were of course no Hawken rifles as thiere expedition predated the American mountain man era In some areas there had previously been Voyageres. Lewis and Clark rifles by thiere own account were dissapointing due to the small calibers,and not adequate when used on the western bears. one of the best rifles they had was an air rifle thatwas very respected and admired by the Indians. It is now in the NRA collection courtesy of Mr. Beeman of Beeman air rifle fame . There is a very interesting story of how he found and researched this rifle an proved it was used by the Lewis and Clark expidition.

Respctfully B. Vanderhoof

toot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Umph
While based on a true story the movie took so many liberties the facts it made it unwatchable for me.
But let me be clear..... I like a lot of UN historical movies. JJ, The Mountain Men, The Patriot, Elizabeth, the Plymouth adventure, Northwest Passage......
So why did The Revenate rattle my cage? Just an excuse, I didn’t care much for the Frontiersman series that DeCapiro went to put on the History channel ether. But I can’t miss an episode of the Vikings😂
unwatchable? common. it is a thing called entertainment. I will agree that I for one don't like him. BTW, he is a vegetarian! after eating the buffalo carrion he be came violently ill!

jonathan butcher

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I enjoyed that movie very much, inaccuracies notwithstanding. And frankly I think it's the best movie of the period that I can think of. You can see that an attempt was made to get some things right, particualrly in the realm of the guns and accoutrements. One of my favs and I've seen now about 10 times. As to Decaprio I don't personally know him nor do I know enough about him to hold an opinion one way or the other.

unwatchable? common. it is a thing called entertainment. I will agree that I for one don't like him. BTW, he is a vegetarian! after eating the buffalo carrion he be came violently ill!

Last edited:

Essayons!

32 Cal
Reaction score
Umph
While based on a true story the movie took so many liberties the facts it made it unwatchable for me.
But let me be clear..... I like a lot of UN historical movies. JJ, The Mountain Men, The Patriot, Elizabeth, the Plymouth adventure, Northwest Passage......
So why did The Revenate rattle my cage? Just an excuse, I didn’t care much for the Frontiersman series that DeCapiro went to put on the History channel ether. But I can’t miss an episode of the Vikings😂
Most movies do take liberties. Yeah the bear attack happened in August(no snow) and other details that don't detract from the story. I did hear one criticism that in the dialogue, a reference to becoming a Texas Ranger, but couldn't because they didn't exist. Actually they did, established in 1824 by Stephen F. Austin, the Empresario.

Reaction score
The only rifle shown here is a Hawken.
It is incomple as there were other guns seen in the movie.
Go to the Association of Ohio Long Rifle Collectors site and scan through the newsletters for articles on the Hawken family gunmakers as the moved from east to west and the styles they made. Sorry i can't link to those pieces, but you can educate yourselves there. You will also see why the T/C is a pure Ohio design..

Look up the Fort Scott National Historic Site online for a bit of info on Dragoon uniforms. Some early US Dragoons were lancers. I wonder if JJ knew how to use a pig sticker.

griffiga

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t know if what they offered in the movie was authentic to the time or not, or if the props/costuming dept was trying to copy something. There were also private militias as it were like fire companies and boatman uniforms that went with military styling.
Sometimes you want to be careful copying a movie for authenticity, especially the older ones lest you be packing a .45-70 Trapdoor Springfield with a frizzen attached to it. Or, like John Wayne coming out of the Civil War with his '92 Winchester. LOL

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I enjoyed that movie very much, inaccuracies notwithstanding. And frankly I think it's the best movie of the period that I can think of. You can see that an attempt was made to get some things right, particualrly in the realm of the guns and accoutrements. One of my favs and I've seen now about 10 times. As to Decaprio I don't personally know him nor do I know enough about him to hold an opinion one way or the other.
I try real hard to ignore the people playing apart and judge them on just how good of actingg they can do.
I have liked Decaprio in other parts. Blood Diamonds and The Aviator come to mind. And I think he did his part well.
I don’t think I would like to spend much time with most Hollywood actors. And I know for sure there are several actors I really enjoy watching I wouldn’t cross the street to meet.
Maybe I entered it with some prejudice, I can’t say I thought he fit the part of Glass well. Then maybe I expected too much.
Taste is taste
Even though many actors playing real people didn’t look like the person they played they looked the Part. Danials as Chamberlain, Selleck as Eisenhower. And Redford will always be Johnson for me. Maybe I still see Glass as Richard Harris

griffiga

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I try real hard to ignore the people playing apart and judge them on just how good of actingg they can do.
I have liked Decaprio in other parts. Blood Diamonds and The Aviator come to mind. And I think he did his part well.
I don’t think I would like to spend much time with most Hollywood actors. And I know for sure there are several actors I really enjoy watching I wouldn’t cross the street to meet.
Maybe I entered it with some prejudice, I can’t say I thought he fit the part of Glass well. Then maybe I expected too much.
Taste is taste
Even though many actors playing real people didn’t look like the person they played they looked the Part. Danials as Chamberlain, Selleck as Eisenhower. And Redford will always be Johnson for me. Maybe I still see Glass as Richard Harris
Tenngun, Hugh Glass being portrayed by Richard Harris dates you. LOL

Deep Creek Dale

32 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Better late than never, I guess. I'm just now noticing this thread. As for JJ's trousers i think they are just impressionistic. If i were trying to pass as JJ I'd want the style worn by US Dragoons. They cavalry didn't come along until way after the fur trade petered out. I can see working some corduroy into an outfit.

I haven't seen the movie in a while, but my memory is the JJ rifle was more Ohio in style. Old Sally is definitely a bedraggled Ohio style rifle. The T/C Haeken and its ilk are fully Ohio in style and not a bit plains rifle.

Some of the dialog in the movie is lifted word for word out of Ruxton's book.
The real Johnson (real name John Johnson)was a civil war veteran. He was famous in his lifetime as a town Marshall in Montana. He died at the turn of the century. Still love the movie despite it causing a generation of mountain man wanna best to talk like Bear Claw in the 1960's

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
The real Johnson (real name John Johnson)was a civil war veteran. He was famous in his lifetime as a town Marshall in Montana. He died at the turn of the century. Still love the movie despite it causing a generation of mountain man wanna best to talk like Bear Claw in the 1960's
Tenngun, Hugh Glass being portrayed by Richard Harris dates you. LOL
LOL I was about two when dirt was invented

Kansas Jake

54 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
And I'm really dated because I read "Lord Grizzly" long before either movie came out. Of course I think I was about 3 years old at the time.

griffiga

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
And I'm really dated because I read "Lord Grizzly" long before either movie came out. Of course I think I was about 3 years old at the time.
Lord Grizzly by Fredereck Manfred is still on my book shelf. I bought it when I was in grade school back in the early 60's through that Scholastic Book Club flyer they gave us. Seems like it was $.50. Another good one by the same author is Scarlet Plume.

Intosomthin

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score

Attachments

springfield art

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I don’t know if what they offered in the movie was authentic to the time or not, or if the props/costuming dept was trying to copy something. There were also private militias as it were like fire companies and boatman uniforms that went with military styling.
I gotta think there's been a lot of research and authenticity thinking going into the mountain man re-enactor scene since that movie, which was in the infancy of such enacting. The film company probably was no more worried about authenticity than any other historic film of the time. It did set off a lot of interest, though!

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
We might chuckle at them now, but Man in the Wilderness, JJ, Winterhawks,Windwalkers, all made an attempt in the easily available research to dress them right. Pat Turney made much of the clothing for The Mountain Men and many of the background people were AMM