Jeremiah Johnson movie clothing

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Reaction score
Check out links for Mexican war period uniforms, remember the scene where he ask the military officer how the war was going. And I believe there were small references where he may have deserted from the military.

tenngun

Cannon
Reaction score
I don’t know if what they offered in the movie was authentic to the time or not, or if the props/costuming dept was trying to copy something. There were also private militias as it were like fire companies and boatman uniforms that went with military styling.

Reaction score
I know you didnt say shirt, but a 19th century osnaburg trade shirt should get you set up for your upper half
https://www.townsends.us/collections/mens-shirts-and-smocks/products/19th-century-trade-shirt-in-osnaburg-oh-131

For the pants I suggest what appalachian hunter said.
Look for mexican war uniform trousers.

As for the coat, if your talking about his reddish wool lookin coat and not his buffalo coat, I may be able to direct you to a couple close look alikes.
Townsends has a red wool blanket shirt (coat) that has a resemblance to Johnsons coat, only difference is its not buttoned down the front.
https://www.townsends.us/collections/coats-frocks-and-jackets/products/blanket-shirt-sh-121
Now this coat is not documented easily.

Also Northwest Traders canoe jacket (might not be HC, but then again most movies are not also) is button down and looks like johnsons coat execpt it has a single cape.
https://www.nwtrader.com/capotes_styles.html

You could also make it yourself, I've never made one, but you could try wool blankets, or for a less bulky coat, you could use broadcloth.

Hope this helps you.

NWT Woodsman

Eutycus

58 Cal.
Reaction score
This thread is going to be an interesting read. I asked about those pants about half a year ago and never got an answer.

Reaction score

Griz44Mag

54 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Real life, JJ was a deserter, twice. Once from the Navy, once from the army. (Thus the name change from Garrison to hide his true (wanted) identity. The third time he signed up as a scout and finished his hitch and therefore was able to finally retire (1899) in a veterans home in California where he died a few months later. The pants Redford was wearing were likely from the army after his second desertion.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/blast-from-past-jeremiah-johnsons-hawken/
jj rifle and knife.jpg

Tom A Hawk

45 Cal.
MLF Vendor
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the gun they used as a 30 cal was really a 50 cal in real life, but the movie used it as a 30 cal in the script, I dont know if it was a real muzzleloader or a prop tho.
Remember the ridiculous recoil depicted from Hatchet Jack's 50 cal? Wow, what a cannon...

lou puleff

32 Cal.
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the gun they used as a 30 cal was really a 50 cal in real life, but the movie used it as a 30 cal in the script, I dont know if it was a real muzzleloader or a prop tho.
I believe green river rifle works made Redford that gun that's what I was told if I'm not mistaken by Ron paull gunsmith that worked there a green river

Tom A Hawk

45 Cal.
MLF Vendor
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
It sold a lot of Hawken rifles indeed. TC brand Hawken rifles (by name, can’t argue its model name!), not the Hawken rifles of fame however.
Walk
I suspect this movie had a significant influence on many of us. I had already been interested in muzzle loading ( 58 Zouave ) but I know that Jeremiah started me down the Hawken path and I acquired a TC .45 Hawken not long after seeing the movie. Looking back now I think the writers were in desperate need of technical advisors. There were so many incongruous aspects. The portrayal of the rifle, lighting fire with flint and steel, floundering in an icy stream while wearing your only change of clothes and leather boots. Even a young fella from New Jersey would know better..:)

Eutycus

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I suspect this movie had a significant influence on many of us. I had already been interested in muzzle loading ( 58 Zouave ) but I know that Jeremiah started me down the Hawken path and I acquired a TC .45 Hawken not long after seeing the movie. Looking back now I think the writers were in desperate need of technical advisors. There were so many incongruous aspects. The portrayal of the rifle, lighting fire with flint and steel, floundering in an icy stream while wearing your only change of clothes and leather boots. Even a young fella from New Jersey would know better..:)
I got a chuckle out of Will Geer ( Bear Claw) letting grizzlies chase him into the cabin. Yeah right. Let a grizzly chase you and see how far you get.

rshveyda

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I got a chuckle out of Will Geer ( Bear Claw) letting grizzlies chase him into the cabin. Yeah right. Let a grizzly chase you and see how far you get.
I knew the difference between fantasy and reality at a young age, especially once I learned to count to six (and the gun kept shooting), but never let it get in the way of enjoying a movie.

Group Builder