• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Jenks Mule Ear Carbine-I think

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Metalshaper,
Here are 2 photos from the August 1964 issue of The Gun Report (written by Andrew Lustyik), it is portion of a 6 part series about the Jenks carbine. Good luck, Mike
View attachment 1560 View attachment 1561
Mike,

Thanks for the pics and especially the chamber drawing! everything helps.... My version will have the bent hammer. I've even considered 'trying' the Maynard tape conversion.. but I think I'll stay with the simpler version!

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Here are some pics of my Jenks"parts.. just so you guys no I'm not just blowing smoke . the rusty piece is the chuck of industrial angle/L
the breech receiver was shaped out of.. No machine tools other than a belt sander and drill press were used to make these.

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

upload_2018-12-6_11-6-7.jpeg
upload_2018-12-6_11-6-28.jpeg
upload_2018-12-6_11-6-49.jpeg

The Maynard tape primer version was made under contract by Remington, 1,000 made, quite rare. I had one in "deplorable" condition many years ago. It was missing some tape primer parts which couldn't be found and would have needed a complete rebuild to make shootable. I had bought a large collection and I need replacemnt funds far more than I needed another project so it went to someone in California. The Jenks and another gun brought in about 60% of my investment so I was able to keep everything else. I really could have fallen in love with the Jenks and would like to have a shooter but I will never be able to afford one.

Metalshaper that's some impressive work, please keep us informed of your progress.

Metalshaper that's some impressive work said:
Hawkeye,

Thanks! here is my 'rounder' ;) used it with a carbide burr and the drill press to slowly mill/gently feed the front of the lock plate and turn it round!
the ends of the link and the boss on the lever were 'rounded' using a shop made, hardened, filing button set? ( for lack of a better term )

upload_2018-12-6_14-58-3.jpeg

of course I now have a mini mill to help on these things..

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Metalshaper & Others,
Here's a pencil sketch dated 1908 of the Jenks action. The name appears to be J. Pitman and he even included a bar scale!
00-SA (2).jpg

Note that the action mounting screw from the front of the trigger guard goes into the chamber. Seems odd to me but here's a photo that shows it:
3223862_6.jpg

Last edited:
Fritz,

Ok I'm gonna bug you again! any chance you have a set of calipers around? I'd appreciate the barrel dimensions ( maybe every 2" ) from the breech to muzzle if you can/would.. Please and thanks! ( your pics get me kinda close on the muzzle ) I'm working on laying out a template for the stock.. and have already gotten a .50 cal smooth barrel from Rice made.. I just need to know what diameter things are.. then I can get my blank cut and turned down..< barrel is gonna be reamed and rifled at .525>

Like I said, I've been working on a 'version' of my own.. but would like it to be reasonably close to the original in dimensions! Wish I could find some post war gun pics.. that showed if anyone cut/shortened the stocks fore arm and mod'd a front sight???

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

I missed this post for some reason I apologize. The Jenks is with a family member. I will try to get it back and get measurements posted.

It happens with the Spencer carbines as well.. is it a 56/56 or a 56/52?? Some where and some weren't . .

Respect Always
Metalshaper / Jonathan

Woodenbow,

I've been out of the shop for a bit.. Just getn ready to try building again! DD's recent post has sure got me fired back up a bit ;)
Part of my stall, other than injuries and such, has been finding really good measurements.. Not that I haven't received some really good help
but getn it all translated to metal and wood is a bit of a challenge!

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Alright Metalshaper, I have a modicum of talent for woodworking but none for metal, or at least so little as to be nearly undetectable... so I greatly admire those who have the knack.

Perfectly fine to talk about here, as long as it is fired by a separate percussion cap as these were. Seems like a pretty decent carbine. These were originally made for the Navy and were used in the Mexican war. By strange bands do you mean the discolored area around the barrel and forearm? That looks like it spent many years hanging on gun hooks over a fireplace or something of the sort.
That's what it looks like to me.
http://www.nramuseum.org/guns/the-g...nes/us-n-p-ames-jenks-percussion-carbine.aspx

Hi, I just found this thread, and DD832's newer thread. I have an 1846 smoothbore Jenks, with the round loading hole. I have shot it a few times. The breech does not leak any gas, but it does have the problem that caused a lot of complaints back in the day: fouling makes the action very hard to operate after a few shots.
In response to the question about the finish on the barrel, the Jenks were furnished with a brown lacquer finish on the barrel. The stocks were not finished with linseed oil, as was common on military arms of the era. I don't remember what the stockfinish was, but it looks like a varnish or lacquer.
MetalShaper, I talked to you some years ago on another forum, and sent you some pictures and dimensions of my Jenks. Glad to see that you are making some progress on yours.

MetalShaper, I talked to you some years ago on another forum, and sent you some pictures and dimensions of my Jenks. Glad to see that you are making some progress on yours.

Joe,

I remember!! and My Thanks to you again!! The info you and DD provided to me has been a HUGE help.. Now I just gotta get organized enough to Get-R done..

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Back