• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jax black Barrel Advice?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In the next day or 2 I will be using the Jax black on my SMR barrel. I was just wondering if anyone can offer up any tips for getting a nice even color down the length of the barrel.

Chris

In the next day or 2 I will be using the Jax black on my SMR barrel. I was just wondering if anyone can offer up any tips for getting a nice even color down the length of the barrel.

Chris
I'm also interested in any tips. I'll be following along. OP be sure to post pics of how it turns out

Have seen a few folks using this in the forum and posting up good results. I myself like birchwood casey super blue better…I didn’t get the absolute perfect job in getting even result the length of the barrel, but multiple coats definitely helped. Felt like any of the areas that still weren’t perfect made it look like some patina from age….if you’re super anal and want it perfect, I think it’s tough to achieve with cold bluing. I read a tip to warm the parts up above room temperature with a heat gun, that it helps the reaction. Can’t say for sure that I noticed a big difference doing that, but your mileage might vary.

Chris
Agree with @deertraks. Watch Jim’s video. Wear your latex gloves, was well with warm water & a little Dawn, rinse, dry, wipe it down with denatured alcohol, apply evenly with fine scotchbrite or cotton cloth, let it sit several minutes. Then personally, I put the barrel in my shop sink and go over it with warm water and the 3M synthetic 0000 wool to remove the residue, dry it, and spray with WD40, then use regular 0000 steel wool to draw it back where you want it. Be prepared to degrease again do a 2nd or 3rd coat till it’s uniform. When your finished with all the above wipe it down liberally with a gun oil of your choice and let it sit over night with excess oil on.

I used a lot of Brownells Oxpho blue. It does make an even black. I did not get what I was looking for with Jax. It is not much more trouble to rust brown it. So, that is what I do now

I have both Brownell's cream Oxpho Blue and Brownell's Dicropan T-4. Both are good but the T-4 gives a darker true black color. The Track of the Wolf brand Tried & True Rust Brown will turn into nice a black with repeated coats if that's what I want.

Back