• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Javelina with a flintlock southern rifle…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cooleys

32 Cal
Reaction score
409B6561-D958-499C-BE29-79238F3829F8.jpeg
3183DF40-4E55-49DA-880B-5179B31547C3.jpeg
I thought I’d share a neat picture of my .40 southern mountain rifle on a recent javelina hunt in Arizona. I just finished making the rifle this winter and was looking forward to this hunt. I was very comfortable shooting off sticks out to 100 yards, and glad I was. I needed to make a 110 yard shot at a javelina sharply quartering to me, it was an either hit or miss shot. I hit and made a follow up shot at 84 yards that dropped the animal in its tracks. The first shot was a clean pass through just behind the shoulder, the second shot lodged in the hide after going through a shoulder, the heart and lungs. The round ball that I recovered held up well as usual.
I did carry the rifle cased because everything in the desert wants to poke, scratch, cut, or otherwise hurt you and a rifle stock. The game warden that checked me said that it was the first time in his 30+ years that he’d seen someone hunting with a gun and kit this “old school”…couldn’t have said words that made me feel any better.

Good shooting. I have a javelina hunt lined up in couple of weeks. I'll be packing my 45 caliber percussion. I thought about taking my 40 cal flintlock but I haven't shot it enough to have the confidence yet. Maybe next year. It's good to see the 40 is enough gun.

Fair at best.

Need to get the gland off as soon as possible.

In Texas it is the law you have to take the meat as they are a game animal, I have a feeling a lot of them end up in a dumpster.

Had my own swine encounter just this morning! Was headed to the package store when I decided to swing by an old local manse that is for sale, and to be honest, is playing on my speculative real-estate inclined mind. Pulled up to the 5 acre small town corner city lot and said "Um... what?" Large pot-belly pig grazing in the drive way. It was not what I expected to see this fine Tuesday at one of the most distinguished estates in town.

Anyway, congrats on both a beautiful rifle and a beautiful side of pork!

I’ll let you know how they are for table fare soon…barbacoa tacos braised in bear fat are on the menu for tomorrow night. I am currently pieces in a roasted garlic marinade.
I have heard the whole spectrum of opinions on javelina, but I’ve yet to find a game meat that tastes poorly if it’s prepared properly from the field to the table. The more lowly an animal is thought, typically the more poorly it is taken care of.

Good stuff right there. Congrats on the stink pig and that’s a fine looking rifle too.

I see them almost every night when I am exercising on my bike, if you plant and try to grow something they will eat it if you don't put a screen around it, and that's true, you can smell them before you see them

View attachment 120665View attachment 120666I thought I’d share a neat picture of my .40 southern mountain rifle on a recent javelina hunt in Arizona. I just finished making the rifle this winter and was looking forward to this hunt. I was very comfortable shooting off sticks out to 100 yards, and glad I was. I needed to make a 110 yard shot at a javelina sharply quartering to me, it was an either hit or miss shot. I hit and made a follow up shot at 84 yards that dropped the animal in its tracks. The first shot was a clean pass through just behind the shoulder, the second shot lodged in the hide after going through a shoulder, the heart and lungs. The round ball that I recovered held up well as usual.
I did carry the rifle cased because everything in the desert wants to poke, scratch, cut, or otherwise hurt you and a rifle stock. The game warden that checked me said that it was the first time in his 30+ years that he’d seen someone hunting with a gun and kit this “old school”…couldn’t have said words that made me feel any better.
As a secondary aside, I have to hand it to you western folk for spotting a grey swine among a sea of grey scrub! We encounter similar circumstances here on the southeastern side of the nation with whitetails in winter. The beautiful red and tan of summer fades to a vexing grey that matches the scenery in the winter.

I see them almost every night when I am exercising on my bike, if you plant and try to grow something they will eat it if you don't put a screen around it, and that's true, you can smell them before you see them
Not unlike grey foxes! Those beggars will eat an entire row of corn in a night! And they smell like cheap marijuana. I grew up visiting my uncle who kept a fox in the house at our family tobacco farm. Frisky the Fox used a litter box. In fact, one Thanksgiving I went with Uncle John to pick up that tiny kit and she bit and drew blood on first contact with him. But as the years went on, she smelled dreadfully of what I would only learn years later was the same active scent in marijuana. If you're in the woods far from high schoolers and smell weed, it's a grey fox.

Back