• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Jarhead

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you folks, for the good vibes. I never gave the dirt much thought. It was red, alright, and digging a new hole in it about every night is something I'd choose not to dwell on. I don't know what was worse: the mud or the brick. Then there were the flies and mosquitos. To this day I hate both with an inordinate passion. I've been known to get a few strange looks at picnics. Still do not like to eat outdoors: something my loves to do. Never told her why. I should get over it.

I remember watching you boys on the news. Maybe that’s why I joined the Navy and flew A-7Es. 1985 to 1992. VA-46 was my fleet squadron. One deployment in USS Eisenhower and one in USS Kennedy. I’ll never forget the support we received from the Vietnam Vets during Desert Shield/Storm. Thank you all.

I remember watching you boys on the news. Maybe that’s why I joined the Navy and flew A-7Es. 1985 to 1992. VA-46 was my fleet squadron. One deployment in USS Eisenhower and one in USS Kennedy. I’ll never forget the support we received from the Vietnam Vets during Desert Shield/Storm. Thank you all.
I'll piggyback on that... when I rotated back to the states from Desert Storm, the Vietnam Vets were the first people we saw when we got off the plane in Bangor, Maine.
Thank you all for a great homecoming!

rdavidson,

Glad your still here with us and thank you for your service.

The first year in RVN I flew slicks (UH-1H) and can remember flying you guys around the III Corps area. We were always getting shot up and shot down. During my second tour I flew the AH-1G... vengeance was soooo sweet.

Cobra6

Last edited:
rdavidson,

Glad your still here with us and thank you for your service.

The first year in RVN I flew slicks (UH-1H) and can remember flying you guys around the III Corps area. We were always getting shot up and shot down. During my second tour I flew the AH-1G... vengeance was soooo sweet.

Cobra6
I’ll bet it was brother!!!

Worked on medevac birds that flew from PI to perforated landing strips in
Nam and back out to hosp at Clark. Those birds flew even if holes were just covered with tape and paint.

Those birds flew even if holes were just covered with tape and paint.

Yea...Well believe it or not pilots had to patch themselves up with gauge and tape during flights. This was common. Flying into an LZ (landing zone) invited a lot of shrapnel, bullet wounds and metal spall from the aircraft. During flight to pick up troops in an LZ, it was paramount. Many pilots who were badly wounded would refuse to return back to base and continued the mission. Most of us were in our early 20s, when we flew in RVN. I was just 20 years old when I was "Pilot in command."

Cobra 6

Last edited:
I had a personal friend Who did your job. Only time I ever saw him shook up was when I stopped by his house back in the states and picked up a dozen sticks of dynamite from the pack hanging over his bed. I was a powder monkey for our caving group in N.M. from '70 till discharge in '72. 4 1/2 years in and out when I wasn't fit to go with squadron to Thailand.

Welcome Jarhead,
From a retired (85-09) HMC (FMF) USNR
It is always good to see my Devil Dogs about.

Thank you all for your service to our Country. We were doing our duty and proudly represented all of America, even those chickenshits who chose to evade their responsibilities. Free America for all!

Last edited:
Thanks for being there, Chief. In my 20 years USMC, I bled all over you guys. I don't remember how many Green Docs sewed me up, casted fractures, did X-rays, and re-assembled various appendages...…. My Med Record looks like a phone book! No Worries! Gunny

Back