• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Jarhead

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eastridgebill never ate a M.R.E. but a lot of c-rats, no tootsie rolls in them there were some kind of I guess you could call them candy discs they varied depending on what rat you were fortunate enough to get. Little cans of joy in a cardboard box.

Welcome. I was Army myself, 6/63-11/69. Interesting time. You'll fit right in here. As far as first muzzleloaders is concerned, when you ask a dozen of us, you'll likely get at least 15 different opinions. I started with an original flinter back in the dim, dark past and my first "new" muzzleloader was a GRRW so I'm spoiled. I'd recommend you listen carefully to all those opinions, then take the time to go to a few shoots and talk in person to the shooters. Chances are they'll tell you more than you can digest, but it's a good bet they'll let you handle (and perhaps shoot) as many different pieces as there is time for and then invite you back again. Pretty soon you'll have your own opinion of what suits you best. My advice is -- Get the best you can afford. If you're like most of us, you'll end up with several favorites. Good luck. Don't hesitate to ask questions - You're in the perfect place to start collecting answers.
Tanglefoot

USMC 1969-1972 Semper Fi to all of the Jarheads out there!

Semper Fi and Welcome Brother,

I went to Boot Camp in 1971 and told the Draft Board they couldn't have me while home on leave in Jan 72, but also purchased my first ML then, a .50 Cal. TC "Hawken" Rifle.

Part of the reason I stayed in Muzzle Loading all these years was, it was one of the few places back then that welcomed Veterans. I am extremely happy more modern veterans never had to go through that.

So welcome aboard and you should enjoy this forum very much.

Gus
USMC 1971-1997, MGySgt, Retired

I have purchased the Manton, and am currently awaiting delivery. Who knows how long that will take. Very excited.

i wonder if you shoot your shotgun? If so can we converse? I am new to muzzleloading, so I have lots of questions.

dale
Daleallen,

Just wander over to the "Smoothbore" sub-forum, and ask away. We're here to help you learn the safe way.

Thank you, Sir! Now just between us, my current boss is an old squid, and asked me how I ended up with the Corps. I told him that I joined the Navy just like he did, but as soon as they figured out that I was straight, they sent me to the Men's Department. He didn't talk to me for weeks after that.

For what it's worth, except for boot camp, I did all my time with the Corps. And when it was time to reenlist ad they bribed me with whatever orders I wanted in exchange for signing back up, I asked to stay with the Corps. They screwed up and gave me my new orders before I signed anything or took my new Oath, so I told them where they could stick their orders and promoted myself to PFC (Private F.... Civilian).

Sounds like we should have a vet-together. East Texas? Don't have to be a former Marine. Me: 3rd. platoon- bravo Co.- 1st battalion- 1/26- 1st Div... M-60 jungle grunt.

Thank you, Sir! Now just between us, my current boss is an old squid, and asked me how I ended up with the Corps. I told him that I joined the Navy just like he did, but as soon as they figured out that I was straight, they sent me to the Men's Department. He didn't talk to me for weeks after that.

For what it's worth, except for boot camp, I did all my time with the Corps. And when it was time to reenlist ad they bribed me with whatever orders I wanted in exchange for signing back up, I asked to stay with the Corps. They screwed up and gave me my new orders before I signed anything or took my new Oath, so I told them where they could stick their orders and promoted myself to PFC (Private F.... Civilian).
Best one that I have heard in a long time. Took me awhile to get off the floor to post this

Sounds like we should have a vet-together. East Texas? Don't have to be a former Marine.
A vet-together would be great. How about a forum for muzzle loading veterans? Yea, maybe a stretch. 1st, 187th Assault Helicopter Company, Tay Ninh Viet. Two tours, Ugh!

Cobra 6

Last edited:
This is over my head. Did see a lot of red...
I'm unfamiliar with the red dirt term. I do recall a lot of red dirt, jungle mountains and valleys full of everything that could cut, sting, wound or otherwise abuse you. 1/26 moved around a lot (I Corps, and other places). Not sure if this is the proper place to discuss this? Don't want to offend anyone.

I'm unfamiliar with the red dirt term. I do recall a lot of red dirt, jungle mountains and valleys full of everything that could cut, sting, wound or otherwise abuse you. 1/26 moved around a lot (I Corps, and other places). Not sure if this is the proper place to discuss this? Don't want to offend anyone.
khe Sanh

RB Powell
Not sure if this is the proper place to discuss this? Don't want to offend anyone.

You should be proud of all the cuts, stings, wounds and other things that abuse. If anyone is offended by your discussion I would say to them "go scrxw yourself." This is said after a shot of Seagrams 7 and two Leffe, Blonds. God I love retirement!

Cobra 6

Last edited:
I always knew I was in the company of good folks here, and the company just got better.
Welcome to the Forum. And Thank you, All, for your Service.

Richard/Grumpa

The red dirt is called laterite.
I think it has some clay in it.
It worked into your clothes and hide as well.
Very dusty in dry season and a gooey mess during monsoon.

Red dirt is mostly attributed to the upper I corps area,. And yes the 26th marines where always on the move looking for trouble. D co 1/26 th Marines

Back