• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Japanese Brown Bess identity question.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newtire

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi,
Probably posted somewhere already so sorry if this is just a repeat.

I have a Brown Bess "replica" that is marked Japan. Question is, Does this mean that it is made by Miroku? Any ideas or a link (still working) that would tell me more about identifying this beast?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You!

Calvin

Yes, made by Miroku. They are very high quality. They are easily recognized by the flat-bottomed trigger guard. The story goes that the original they copied had been dropped at one time, denting the trigger guard. Miroku coped it exactly. I have one that I made into a Frederucksburg musket. The trigger guard is still flat.

This shows the Miroku trigger guard.
P1001990.jpg

The miruko’s made some of the best working Brown Bess’s. While the actual authenticity of the gun is questionable, its a darn good flinter, that lock is like a zippo and will never fail.

The Locks from the 1970’s and 1980’s era guns are often used to make custom Long Lands and Short Lands.

Nicely tapered barrels too !

Hi Newtire,
The Miroku Bess has probably the best and safest barrel of all the commercial repros of Brown Besses. They also have the best designed lock of the commercial repros. The only fault with the locks is they do little to polish or tune them. The internal parts look like they just came out of the mold. I look on them as an unfinished kit that can be turned into one of the best short land pattern Bess locks around.

dave

Nice! I wish I could find one of those.

All I've managed to locate so far for a Miroku is an 1864 Springfield. I'd rather have the Bess.

Yes, made by Miroku. They are very high quality. They are easily recognized by the flat-bottomed trigger guard. The story goes that the original they copied had been dropped at one time, denting the trigger guard. Miroku coped it exactly. I have one that I made into a Frederucksburg musket. The trigger guard is still flat.

I’ve heard many stories about how the trigger guard was ‘bent’, from it being purposes flattened to be distinguishable from originals and just being dropped.

The only issue I’ve ever had with miruko Bess’s were the stocks were kinda junky, especially the earlier ones.

Navy Arms began making their own stocks from a copied pattern, and offered stocks in Birch, Cherry and Walnut. The stocks that came directly from Miruko were some kind of East Asian maple dyed to resemble walnut.

The miruko Bess’s are great guns, even better if you can successfully restock one in black walnut.

Years ago 25 or thirty I did my only stint with a reenacting group that laughed and poo pooed my japenese bess and was told to get a pedersoli, now theyre much sought after

In my Miroku Bess I like 90 grains of FFg, or 100 grains of Fg of Goex behind a .715 or .735 round ball. I also find that my trigger finger is too short to reach the trigger properly so I pull the trigger with my middle finger. It works fine. As i got it, the trigger pull was really hard, so I had it reduced. It's not a target grade trigger by any means, but substantially better.
You won't need a spotting scope to see the holes in your target.

Latest posts

Back