• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

January 2021 Postal Match - Red, White & Blue 5 Bullseye

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
January 2021 Red, White & Blue 5 Bullseye

Happy New Year shooters! This month we are going with a stock 5 bullseye target adorned in red, white & blue. Why? Because it's getting more difficult to judge targets that have a single point of aim. You guys are getting good enough to put ball on ball. Plus I figured your art supplies ✂ needed a rest after a busy holiday season. Hopefully some of you got new art supplies from Santa. You're probably going to need them for future shoots. :)

Grab your target by clicking the link below and write your forum screen name on the front of your target as soon as you print it!
January 2021 5 Bullseye Target

Fire one shot at each bullseye, 5 shots total.
The shooting distance for this contest is 25 yards.
No do-over’s. Shoot one target only. One rifle and one pistol is acceptable.
Only registered forum members may participate.

Only traditional, open iron sighted muzzle loading firearms; peeps are allowed under the condition you mark your target so I know you used a peep. (Tracking it) NO Cannons. Percussion, flintlock or matchlock ignition only. Pistol will be in their own class. Cap and Ball revolvers are OK.

Single patched round ball only. No restrictions on caliber. (a patchless ball may be used if so desired)

Shots shall be taken off-hand at the stated distance. Standing or seated is allowed, elbows unsupported by anything other than the shooters torso. In the event that a member is not physically able to hold his rifle up unsupported, a "prop-rod" that is supported only by the shooters torso, no part of which prop-rod may touch the ground, may be used to hold up the fore-end of the rifle.

Only original targets will be accepted. No copies, faxes, scan, etc. unless you're an overseas participant...
Overseas participants may scan and e-mail me. Just send me a PM through the forum and attache it or I'll give you my e-mail address. As long as I can CLEARLY make the target out I'll accept it.** (I recommend using a dark backing paper when you scan / copy it if possible so that the holes show clearly)

New Rule… Old Eyes - Small Targets, What To Do?
Considering the nature of the event being, a print and mail target and there being no prize other than bragging rights, the object is to encourage shooters to shoot and share their results, whatever they may be, in hopes we can all learn a bit. In September 2020 shoot participants overwhelmingly voted to adjust the rules to allow adding color to the target(s) to add contrast to better see the intended point of impact. This can be done at the individual shooters desire, this is optional.
Note: This may not be necessary with this target but it has been adopted as a standing rule.

Pistol Class:
For those who would like, you can shoot one target with long gun and one with pistol. Please mark your target accordingly.

Scoring will be as follows:
Yellow Circle = 10 on four large targets, 20 on center target (inner most circle = X)
Blue Ring = 1
Large White Ring = 2
Red Ring = 5
Small White Ring = 6
Miss the outer ring = 0

How close is close enough? Over half the ball must penetrate inside the scoring ring to be counted at the highest value. In other words, the ring in which the majority of the ball hits the target will be the score value. The center of the shot placement on the target will be determined by the judge. Judges decisions are final.

Fire 5 shots only, misses count! Mutilated targets or targets with more than 5 holes will be disqualified. If you have any questions, suggestions or concerns please don't hesitate to contact me.

Mail your target, postmarked no later than January 31st, to:
Marc Smith
1900 Parkway Drive
Casper, WY 82609
Attn: January Target

If you don’t mind sharing I would also like to know what you’re shooting. Include type of firearm, caliber, ball diameter, patch thickness, lube, powder type and grains used, barrel length and twist rate. This isn’t required I’m just the curious sort.

Thanks for shooting and Godspeed ladies & gentleman!!
MSmith

Shot mine today. We have had a very mild winter here in the midwest so far. It was windy though, and the wind cut right through me.

Got my target shot. Would've been 5 dead squirrels but it's not winning anything. Thanks for putting the match on.

As of the end of the day on January 26 I have received targets from the following six members:
11th corps
cankeney
Flinter 1977
Richard Dittman
Silent Walker
Sven205 - Pistol

The following two members have sent targets but have not yet been received:
J dirt - Rifle & pistol
Silky921

Our weather, i.e., snow, freezing temperatures, snow & ice, glare, haven't exactly motivated me to go out to the range and complete the January match. Indeed, I haven't fired a gun since our range closed for deer season in November.

As of the end of the day on January 26 I have received targets from the following six members:
11th corps
cankeney
Flinter 1977
Richard Dittman
Silent Walker
Sven205 - Pistol

The following two members have sent targets but have not yet been received:
J dirt - Rifle & pistol
Silky921
I mailed a rifle target yesterday. No pistol target.

January 2021 Final Results

We only had 9 shooters participate in the January shoot, down considerably from previous months. I’m sure it is mostly due to weather. I trust everyone is doing well. J dirt won both the rifle and pistol shoot this month. Mickey showed up for a quick photo shoot with the winning rifle target. He was very impressed and said he’s glad he wasn’t the target. Thanks to everyone for shooting!

Rifle Top 3

Member​
Score​
J dirt
43 XX​
1sgt
32​
hunter thompson
23 X​

Rifle All Shooters w/ Remarks

Member​
Score​
Remarks​
11th corps
22 X​
TC .50 flintlock, .490, 55gr 3f
1sgt
32​
Invest Arms carbine .40 - .395, 40gr Goex, .016 w/mm lube
Cankeney
23​
Kibler Colonial .54, 39-1/2” Rice bbl, 1:66, .526, .018 pt, TOW-mink oil, 80gr Goex 3f
Flinter 1977
13 X​
TC New Englander .54, 90 gr Graf 2f, .530, .015pt, beeswax / lard.
hunter thompson
23 X​
TC .58 which was .54. Had the barrel bored a couple years ago. Just started shooting it.
J dirt
43 XX​
TC Renegade, .45, GM bbl, 40gr 3f Goex, .440, .018pt spit patch
Richard Dittman
23​
TC .50 Hawken
Silky921
14​
.36 – 35gr 3f, .015

Pistol w/ Remarks

Score​
Remarks
J dirt
16​
.45 Uberti 1858 Rem. - 5.5 bbl, .454, 20gr, 2f, corn meal filler, Crisco
Sven205
7​
.45 Pietta Shooters Model 1858 - .461, 15gr 3f, Crisco

Attachments

• January High Score.jpg
    January High Score.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 141
Thanks for the scoring work M Smith.
May have to wait on February's until later this month.
We are having sub freezing temps next week.

Back