• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

January 2019 contest

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Happy new year my forum friends!! This month will be a simple hit or miss with 5 individual circles. The target I chose has 5 mini targets; you may feel free to completely fill them in to make black circles or put stickers on them as you see fit.

find your target here: http://www.mytargets.com/Target31.pdf

Rules:

Take one shot per target circle only, there are five total and misses count.

Each hit in a circle counts as 1 point. multiple holes in the same target circle count as only one point so remember to shoot only once at each of the five target circles on the page.

The shooting distance for this contest is 25 yards.

No do-over’s.

Only registered forum members may participate.

Only traditional, open iron sighted muzzle loading firearms (NO Cannons). Percussion or flintlock ignition. Cap and Ball revolvers are OK.

Single patched round ball only. No restrictions on caliber. (a patchless ball may be used if so desired)

Shots will be taken off-hand at the stated distance. Standing or seated is allowed, elbows unsupported by anything other than the shooters torso. In the event that a member is not physically able to hold his rifle up unsupported, a "prop-rod" that is supported only by the shooters torso, no part of which prop-rod may touch the ground, may be used to hold up the fore-end of the rifle.

Only original targets will be accepted. No copies, faxes, scans, etc.

Mutilated targets, or targets with more than 5 holes will be disqualified.

The center of the shot and the placement on the target will be determined by the judge.

Judges decisions are final.

Each contestant's score will be posted at the end of the contest.

Your member screen name must be written on your targets.

Mail your target postmarked by January 31st 2019 to:

Terry Stephens
9043 E Butternut Ave
Mesa AZ 85208

Take one shot per target circle only, there are five total and misses count.

Each hit in a circle counts as 1 point. multiple holes in the same target circle count as only one point so remember to shoot only once at each of the five target circles on the page.
Does a "touch" count as a hit, or does the entire shot have to be totally "in a circle" ?

printed now off to shoot. i got a new rifle that i am stoked about, so i am going to shoot that one.

Shot mine today. Ill mail it Monday. Dang lyman lock is giving me fits. Works fine for a few shots then hangs up. Have to pull the set and hair trigger twice, sometimes three times before it will go off. Then it will work fine for a half dozen shots. Making me nuts. I just cant figure out where the trouble is.

Shot mine today. Ill mail it Monday. Dang lyman lock is giving me fits. Works fine for a few shots then hangs up. Have to pull the set and hair trigger twice, sometimes three times before it will go off. Then it will work fine for a half dozen shots. Making me nuts. I just cant figure out where the trouble is.
Im no expert, but I'd try adjusting the set spring if yours has that option. My Traditions has an adjustment for the trigger pull and the set spring tension; If you have that option increase the spring tension slightly.

Shot mine yesterday with mixed results. Three pretty good shots and two misses. I called one of the misses but the other was a surprise. Oh well, I never claimed to be a very good shot offhand.
Maybe not a very good shot off hand Russel, but Im fair to certain you could best me two out of three matches :) just keep shooting for fun!

Shot mine yesterday with mixed results. Three pretty good shots and two misses. I called one of the misses but the other was a surprise. Oh well, I never claimed to be a very good shot offhand.

I know just how you feel Russell. I was doing okay till the last shot. On shot five I had a lllooonnnggg hang fire and started to lift my head just as the rifle went off. I thought it was a pan flash. Just barely nipped the edge of the paper. I said some bad words.

Holy manure. January is almost over. Apparently 2019 is in warp speed just like 2018 was. Better take my boy and a gun out to the woods and make some smoke!

I'm not going to make it this month due to weather and range not being available except the next two days with nasty weather forecast here. I admit, I'm a wimp about cold weather.

Back