• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

James Bowie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
now, as a Yenkee curmudgeon, i a, confused ... in Alabama, a pro 2A state, they're anti knife?

Like the english Parliament, but on bad drugs?

Are they serious about this, or is it one of those wierd- o laws like no bathtubs, or no walking your camel down main street on Sunday?

I need to fact-check myself on this to be sure, but I believe Noah Smithwick also claimed he made a knife for James Bowie.

I'm reminded of the story of Sitting Bull's buttons. When he was touring with Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show, he would cut buttons of his coat and sell them to souvenir-seekers. Every night, he would stitch some more cheap buttons on his coat. James Bowie was notorious in his own lifetime. We wonder just how many of those knives he might have owned... and maybe distributed, for favors or profit.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
We know for a fact Rezin gave out many, and some were English imports which started pre-1840.

now, as a Yenkee curmudgeon, i a, confused ... in Alabama, a pro 2A state, they're anti knife?

Like the english Parliament, but on bad drugs?

Are they serious about this, or is it one of those wierd- o laws like no bathtubs, or no walking your camel down main street on Sunday?
With Alabama's well earned reputation, I would not push them on the matter. Their cops are not cool about you being able to protect yourself yourself.

It is nice to read an informative thread where a person can learn, enjoy it and no negatives.

Thanks

I'm reminded of the story of Sitting Bull's buttons.
And how about other mysteries like what constitutes a real Hawken, or where are Walker's Walkers, or the story of a famous outlaw's mother (I've forgotten who) selling pistols she claimed belonged to him, but weren't. As long as money isn't involved it's all fun. 😁

I need to fact-check myself on this to be sure, but I believe Noah Smithwick also claimed he made a knife for James Bowie.

My memory is frequently faulty. Smithwick didn't make the original Bowie knife, but he said he copied it at James Bowie's request. Here is the quote, from The Evolution of a State, by Noah Smithwick (pp. 136-137):

2021-12-22.png

Twenty bucks for a knife, in the 1830's! Wow! The Bowie mystique gained a foothold very early.

Like the story of the
Santurio de Chimayo
The blessed dirt in the cuartito
Never runs out

Jim in La Luz
😎

I've heard that story, somewhere...

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
According to Google's inflation calculator, $20 in the 1830s is equivalent to $600 today! 😲

In 1847 a new Walker Colt was $25.

With Alabama's well earned reputation, I would not push them on the matter. Their cops are not cool about you being able to protect yourself yourself.
I don't know where you get that. Alabama has had basically a stand your ground/castle doctrine decades before other States even thought of it. Several years ago, the State AG made a determination that one can open carry a handgun, and concealed carry permits have always been issued on a shall issue basis. As I said, the Bowie Knife law has been on the books since 1837, thanks to Jim Bowie and his fame, and there just hasn't been a great deal of protest or public outcry from those who wish to carry one concealed. Just about any other knife including dirks and daggers can be carried concealed, they just can't meet the description of a Bowie, which states, a single sharpened edge knife with a clip point, and generally considered to be a blade over 8" inches in length. Alabama is also one of the very few States which has an immunity statute to protect one who is justified in using deadly force from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of such force, unless the force was determined to be unlawful.

Totally off subject, one of the nicest places I have been is Decatur, Al, would move there in a heart beat.

Now, let's see some more knives.

Reading all this,reminds me of a story of a Great Aunt, Jessie James mom, she sold off Colts and S& W revolver's claiming he carried them well after his death.

Cows, they like Texas. Cows can move west and do fine, moving cows east, they do poor.

Top knife is not period in the least, it is a John Greco made knife. John Greco is well known for his fighting knives. The blade is 1/4" stock from 8670 steel and is bead blasted with a lacquer finish. I told John that I wanted a fighting knife that was a cross between a Bowie and a USMC KaBar but with a stag grip. I told him I wanted a knife strong enough to open crates and punch a hole in a car door, and this is what he came up with. The blade is 8 1/4".

The second knife is a skinning knife made for me by Ray Fincher who has since passed away. The seahorse is his makers mark, and the pommel cap and fingerguard are nickel silver.
Knives.jpg

For those interested, here’s a dang close copy (if not exact) of the Perkins-Shively Bowie which I believe Rezin had made (by Mr. Shively of Philadelphia) possibly as early as 1828. The original is in possession of the Mississippi Historical Society. Some believe ( notice I wrote some) that this was more like the knife used by brother Jim in that Sandbar incident. I dunno??? I’m old but I wasn’t there.

Again knife was made by Mr. Allen mentioned in my post above, for a good friend of mine who happens to be site director at Presidio La Bahia at Goliad Tx.
If nothing else, it is a great tool for slicing BBQ brisket!! 😉

For those interested, here’s a dang close copy (if not exact) of the Perkins-Shively Bowie which I believe Rezin had made (by Mr. Shively of Philadelphia) possibly as early as 1828. The original is in possession of the Mississippi Historical Society. Some believe ( notice I wrote some) that this was more like the knife used by brother Jim in that Sandbar incident. I dunno??? I’m old but I wasn’t there.

Again knife was made by Mr. Allen mentioned in my post above, for a good friend of mine who happens to be site director at Presidio La Bahia at Goliad Tx.
If nothing else, it is a great tool for slicing BBQ brisket!! 😉
As you said , not exact, but of the same flavor. The original has an octagon grip and different rivets. The blade is pretty close. Very nice.

Back