• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

James Bowie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Top knife is not period in the least, it is a John Greco made knife. John Greco is well known for his fighting knives. The blade is 1/4" stock from 8670 steel and is bead blasted with a lacquer finish. I told John that I wanted a fighting knife that was a cross between a Bowie and a USMC KaBar but with a stag grip. I told him I wanted a knife strong enough to open crates and punch a hole in a car door, and this is what he came up with. The blade is 8 1/4".

The second knife is a skinning knife made for me by Ray Fincher who has since passed away. The seahorse is his makers mark, and the pommel cap and fingerguard are nickel silver.
View attachment 110881
Jeez, Gunny! Those are both great knives, but you could peel a brontosaurus with that seahorse skinner! Looks like about a 7" by 1-1/2" blade (?). The makers did a fine job on both of those. The same could be said for the cutlery @Einsiedler has shown us. I have some old trade butchers, but nothing like those.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Jeez, Gunny! Those are both great knives, but you could peel a brontosaurus with that seahorse skinner! Looks like about a 7" by 1-1/2" blade (?). The makers did a fine job on both of those. The same could be said for the cutlery @Einsiedler has shown us. I have some old trade butchers, but nothing like those.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Man, you're good. I had to go measure it, but the skinner blade is 6 7/8" long and 1 1/2" at the widest. Ray had never made a skinner before, so I took some original drawings from M.H. Cole's Skinning Knife Book and he used one of Mr. Cole's drawings for the blade pattern. I had him add a small fingerguard so I wouldn't cut myself and keep my hand from slipping. I've used it on three deer so far, two does and one buck. He made some very nice damascus blades during his day and had a nice old hammer forge.
Here is a link to a local publication that did an article on Ray Fincher's shop Discover St Clair/Ray Fincher
Sadly, Ray passed away in 2018.

Notchy Bob, you take care and a Merry Christmas!

Regards,

Richard

Reading all this,reminds me of a story of a Great Aunt, Jessie James mom, she sold off Colts and S& W revolver's claiming he carried them well after his death.
I heard she also sold pebbles from Jesse's gave to tourists. Every night she would go to the creek and replenish the pebbles on the grave, so they never ran out.

Latest posts

Back