• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Jame Butler Hickok Howie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 48679

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Here's a pic of Wild Bill Hickok that shows his belt knife

2169cdec-93b8-4baa-ade1-50fa46ac686b-Hickok_7.jpg

One of JB Hickok's biographers Joseph Rosa suspected that the knife, belt, and coat may have been photographer's props. He points out citing several eye witness accounts that Hickok usually dressed quite fashionably in a Prince Albert coat, and carried his twin Colt Navies tucked in a sash.

That unsheathed toothpick might cause some blood loss.

NO DOUBT, if the man was striding with a purpose and swinging his hands as he walked, he'd lop-off his left thumb!

Gotta be staged..., but they did that back then.

Though it DOES show you a large butcher knife that was available back in those days, if anybody wanted to carry a knife that large, there's a good image of one.

LD

One of JB Hickok's biographers Joseph Rosa suspected that the knife, belt, and coat may have been photographer's props. He points out citing several eye witness accounts that Hickok usually dressed quite fashionably in a Prince Albert coat, and carried his twin Colt Navies tucked in a sash.
Hickok surely dressed for the occasion whenever he could. If he was involved in outdoor activities, formal attire would not have been practical, and vice-versa.
I have long believed that the majority of visible guns in non-law enforcement related old photographs were props.
Particularly those taken of cowboys, and young men headed to the gold fields aspiring to become miners

Hickok surely dressed for the occasion whenever he could. If he was involved in outdoor activities, formal attire would not have been practical, and vice-versa.
I have long believed that the majority of visible guns in non-law enforcement related old photographs were props.
Particularly those taken of cowboys, and young men headed to the gold fields aspiring to become miners

Agree 100%.
Most of those guys went west because they were broke.
Not because they already had money to afford nice firearms.
Lots of them spent several years working in the mines and gold fields and were still broke.
Not to say none prospered. History tells us many did, if they weren’t killed or maimed by accidents, or ruined by illness.
It is surprising how many people ( particularly new immigrants )
travelled to and/or lived on the American frontier as it was pushed back over the centuries without owning a firearm of any kind because they were either unfamiliar with firearms, or couldn’t afford one.
A situation a lot of them came to regret.

Semi-retired photojournalist here, and it's obvious to me that many of the guns and other weapons in "old west" photos were indeed props given to the subjects. Too often the subject holds the gun somewhat awkwardly, looking exactly as if it had just been thrust into their hands and they posing for a gun advertisement more so than a portrait. If it had actually been the cowboy's own gun that they regularly carried, I can only assume it would be worn more practically and handled with more confidence and familiarity.

The Hickok photo posted above is a perfect example of this. I can't really believe old Bill would really wear such a knife, and absolutely not in such an impractical manner. At least not for any longer than it took to have his portrait taken.

Then again, having your photo taken wasn't a daily occurrence like it is today, so who can blame the photographer for trying to make them look extra cool when they did?

Last edited:
We can't just blame the photographer. Bill agreed to take the picture. So, what does that say about him?

Back