• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jager and Yaw-ger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I have a pretty decent audio book that I would recommend: Gun Smoke and Saddle Leather.

Funny thing in it though is that several primary source quotes from the first half of the 19th Century differentiate muskets and other muzzleloaders from "Yawgers".

The way I know it is actually written that way, despite being an audio book is that one of the quotes is from an primary source expeditionary character who actually says "Some of the men were armed with some of the old Jager rifle guns but which they referred to as Yawgers."

Until I read this book I never knew that the pronunciation differed anywhere. I have some familiarity with German, but it is of course modern and not at all related to shooting or hunting. I do know though from a lot of research(because of this book) that the word in German is currently pronounced Yay-gehr, not Yawger.

Anyone else ever heard it called a Yawger gun?

So I have a pretty decent audio book that I would recommend: Gun Smoke and Saddle Leather.

Funny thing in it though is that several primary source quotes from the first half of the 19th Century differentiate muskets and other muzzleloaders from "Yawgers".

The way I know it is actually written that way, despite being an audio book is that one of the quotes is from an primary source expeditionary character who actually says "Some of the men were armed with some of the old Jager rifle guns but which they referred to as Yawgers."

Until I read this book I never knew that the pronunciation differed anywhere. I have some familiarity with German, but it is of course modern and not at all related to shooting or hunting. I do know though from a lot of research(because of this book) that the word in German is currently pronounced Yay-gehr, not Yawger.

Anyone else ever heard it called a Yawger gun?
Regional accent attributed spelling. It's nothing new. Standardized American spelling/usage (Orthography) while introduced in the late 1830s did not really take hold until the turn of the century (1900) and even then took a couple of decades of school application to become widely utilized.

Last edited:
Back