• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Jaeger Smoothbore ID

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bought this Jaeger at auction at a reasonable price as it needed some love. No markings on the lock or the exposed portion of the barrel, but there are some on the underside. These markings have me puzzled. Near the breech are the initials "AMD"(not quite sure on this one), Also TILSELEY RIFLER over the word BUTLER followed by H&F. I've tried to get photos of these stamps but they are not too sharp. Any help on the markings would be greatly appreciated.
Shutzen.jpg
Shutzen 1.jpg
IMG_0767.jpg
IMG_0768.jpg
IMG_0766.jpg
IMG_0765.jpg
IMG_0764.jpg

Well, I'm sure you know already, but it's probably continental European - that trigger guard is likely to be horn and will be FRAGILE!!! Take care.

Thanks for the response. The TG is actually carved wood with an in-letted strip of brass reinforcing it. My confusion comes from the lack of any European proofs on what appears to be a Continental gun and the English style stamps under the barrel.

Thanks for the response. The TG is actually carved wood with an in-letted strip of brass reinforcing it. My confusion comes from the lack of any European proofs on what appears to be a Continental gun and the English style stamps under the barrel.

This gun is likely to be German, and Germany did not exist as a unified nation until 18 January 1871. Each state had its own proof house, but apart from Prussia, there is no remaining record - In any case, the only clear record of a proof mark was to be found in Prussia - an eagle and the letters SB - Solingen Probieranstalt. That was it. Not until the new Proof Laws of 1891 was there any other recorded proof house stamp. OTOH, if it had been made for sale in the UK then it have had English Proof Marks on it these were required on ALL arms, home-produced or foreign - after 1868. I'm betting that this gun predates that date by at least twenty years - maybe more.

The use of an English name was a common ploy in those days, especially common on Belgian-made guns, to give the impression that the piece was an English-made gun, although, TMK, no English gun would be seen with such an obviously continental-style trigger guard. Have you measured the calibre - in fractions of an inch, please, as well as millimeters?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back