• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jaeger Rifle pictures.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ralph Meisse

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of the Jaeger rifle that I was talking about yesterday. I thought it would be better to post some pictures of it. By the way, thanks for all the folks who helped me figure out how to do this. The white inlays in the stock of this gun are made out of bone I think. The questions I had were, weather to shoot it or keep it in mint condition. To blue or brown the barrel, and what charges to use. Your opinions please. Thanks.

Beautiful rifle. Rifles are made to be shot. No point in having but not shooting, IMHO.
Blue, bare or brown? Yer choice. Brown is easier to care for. I would leave the lock alone to acquire it's own natural patina.

I need to clean the barrel. How can you get every bit of rust out. This gun was made over thirty years ago and only fired by the guy who made it, to be sure it worked. Don't think 4 shots have been fired.

Firstly, the barrel was finished bright on purpose. Many period guns were polished bright and many were blued. Browning began to be more common at the tail end of the 18th century, but would look off on that rifle, in my opinion. I wouldn’t touch the finish, but if you choose to, get some advice from folks who are well-versed in period metal finishes like fire bluing, etc..

For the bore (disclaimer: there are a 1,001 ways to clean a rifle, this is just one simple opinion). If it was my rifle, I would start simple with the bore and simply scrub it with some wet patches and then some dry patches to get a good feel for how much rust you are actually dealing with. If it’s just a little surface rust, scrub with oil-saturated patches with something like Breakfree and you might take care of it. You can use some cut up scotchbrite pad/bronze wool/brass brush as a mild abrasive if necessary, if you can actually feel the rusty spots as your wiping. Even if there is a little bit of surface rust left, you can probably take care of the remaining rust by shooting some patched balls out of it. Follow that up with a good cleaning, drying and oiling.

If the rust is more substantial and you have pitting in the bore, then the answer will be different. Post your findings and folks can chime in accordingly.

I'll give you my address... Send it to me, I'll shoot it for you! :rotf: Nice rifle! I agree with Rifleman, they're made to be shot. Have fun! :hatsoff:

Thanks for posting the pics. It is good to see Jaegers again. Mine is halfway complete.

Nice rifle, I have no experience with that cal. I have been told a good starting point is match cal to grains then go up in 5 grn increments. in your case 62 grn 2F powder. Hope this helps. :v

GREAT looking rifle!! After cleaning, that should be a pleasure to shoot. Again, congrats on a beautiful gun. :bow: :thumbsup: :hatsoff: Rick.

I was just cleaning this thing in the back room of my shop and a customer came in and saw it. He fell in love with it and wanted to buy it. I told him it was not for sale but he could have one of his own built if he went down to Dixon. I was just down there and the first guy I showed it to said, Wow, where did you get this gun from? Here he was the guy who did the engraving on it some thirty years ago. Can anyone tell me what a ballpark value would be on a gun like this or what would it cost to have one made? Thanks.

When you just think parts, the TOW parts kit is about $700-$800. Now this has some nice carving and some nice engraving on it, which bumps up the value. A general custom gun starts at around $1800 depending on how well known the builder is.
I think this gun would run around $2500-3300 from a competitive priced good builder, especially with all the inlays.
It lacks a double set trigger and a flip up sight though...

Scotiaboy,
I would suggest that you send it to the "Old Ford Geezer Recreation Club" and I will cheerfully send you a non refundable tax receipt :grin:
I'll even pay shipping :v
I do shoot .62 cal. I shoot .610 ball, with .015 patch and 90 grs. 2f.
At 50 yds. it shoots one ragged hole.
Right now, I'm building a .75 cal. Jaeger American with tiger stripe maple. Yours is mighty fine looking. My Compliments!
If I can be help, please call.
Don't forget the offer!
Fred

:eek:ff I love you guys. :thumbsup: Years ago I was given a fine limited addition center fire shotgun as a Christmas present (From my boss :wink: he was a darn good boss).

When I took it pheasant hunting I was chided by other hunters for "ruining it's value by shooting it" :yakyak: Glad to be with others that think a fine gun is better when it smells of burnt powder!

How fine can even a limited edition commercial modern mass produced shotgun be that it really matters in the scheme of things whether you shoot it or not? Fairly common shotguns on the Trap circuit and in leagues as well as shooting and country clubs are worth the downpayment on a luxury car to a house.

It didn't matter that much I wouldn't guess...

Back