Jaeger Rifle Kits?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Reaction score
As I was in my tree stand this afternoon/evening, with the very long Kibler colonial 54 at hand, I was wondering about a shorter, Jaeger type rifle for such purposes.
Has anyone here built a Jaeger flintlock from a kit or assemblage of component parts?
(I do not have the capacity to carve a stock from a plank).
My first go-to would be Pecatonica. I haven't built anything from Track but it seems they are on back-order for so many things.
Thanks for any leads and photos if you have 'em.

Jaeger

40 Cal.
Reaction score
As I was in my tree stand this afternoon/evening, with the very long Kibler colonial 54 at hand, I was wondering about a shorter, Jaeger type rifle for such purposes.
Has anyone here built a Jaeger flintlock from a kit or assemblage of component parts?
(I do not have the capacity to carve a stock from a plank).
My first go-to would be Pecatonica. I haven't built anything from Track but it seems they are on back-order for so many things.
Thanks for any leads and photos if you have 'em.
I'm working on a jaeger from TOTW right now. Good quality parts and a lot of the work had been done already. BUT......it still is a lot of work and it pays to be a pretty good craftsman and woodworker. I've heard other kits have more of the work done already. With Track's kits be prepared to to do things like "drilling on centers" , eyeballing and aligning, and inletting. They are good kits but need more work. That's my opinion related to my skill level. My jaeger will be a short, sweet hunting and target gun when I'm finished.

Reaction score
Slowly working on my second TOW Jaeger kit (first one has moved on) using primarily TOW parts. More of a parts set than a kit. Last time I looked they were not currently offering their kit. I would suggest not getting one with a pre-inlet lock. Quite the PIA to correct things. Unfortunately, I have not been taking photographs, so none to offer.

Reaction score
Slowly working on my second TOW Jaeger kit (first one has moved on) using primarily TOW parts. More of a parts set than a kit. Last time I looked they were not currently offering their kit. I would suggest not getting one with a pre-inlet lock. Quite the PIA to correct things. Unfortunately, I have not been taking photographs, so none to offer.
thanks for that info- looks like they dont have stocks either but I can never find things easily on their website,

Reaction score
I'm working on a jaeger from TOTW right now. Good quality parts and a lot of the work had been done already. BUT......it still is a lot of work and it pays to be a pretty good craftsman and woodworker. I've heard other kits have more of the work done already. With Track's kits be prepared to to do things like "drilling on centers" , eyeballing and aligning, and inletting. They are good kits but need more work. That's my opinion related to my skill level. My jaeger will be a short, sweet hunting and target gun when I'm finished.
Thanks- wish you luck on your build!

Hatchet-Jack

.440, .490, .600 RB
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
PathfinderNC I've watched your posts for some time building several beautiful guns and horns. I would think you most definitely have the skills to build one from a plank. I have moved on to planks with some help. I am finding that it's easier in some ways versus a kit. May I ask what is that makes you say you don't have the capacity?

Also have you considered a Jim Chambers Edward Marshal or English Sporting Rifle? Both have shorter barrels.

Update: Do a little searching before considering SF. I've read many poor reviews on their service.

Reaction score
PathfinderNC I've watched your posts for some time building several beautiful guns and horns. I would think you most definitely have the skills to build one from a plank. I have moved on to planks with some help. I am finding that it's easier in some ways versus a kit. May I ask what is that makes you say you don't have the capacity?

Also have you considered a Jim Chambers Edward Marshal or English Sporting Rifle? Both have shorter barrels.

Update: Do a little searching before considering SF. I've read many poor reviews on their service.
Hi Hatchet Jack-
Thanks for you comment- as to my capacity for building from a plank- first-off I don't have a band saw big enough (mine is small bench-top model), and I don't relish the prospect of cutting one with hand saws 😣and I don't have the time or energy for that. Also my shop set-up and tools is for doing more delicate woodworking (luthiere).
I havent really looked carefully at the Chambers Marshal or the Sporting Rifle. Until yesterday I hadn't felt any interest in shorter barreled longarms..
And as to SF, yup I wouldn't even consider it.
Thanks, and hope your build is comig along well, as I imagine it is!

Last edited:

rodinal220

32 Cal
Reaction score
I did a JC Edward Marshall about 12 years ago in .58 at one of Jims classes. There was another guy doing the English Sporting Rifle that looked really nice as well.

I really like the handling of the EM and prefer the shorter barrel.

Latest posts