• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Jaeger Project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I snagged an old Jaeger a while back, and have just now gotten around to taking it apart. There are scant & few markings on it, but I think I'm putting together the clues as to what she might have been.

jager.jpgjager0.jpgjager1.jpgjager4.jpgjager7.jpg

The smooth bore currently measures at .710". The barrel is slightly swamped, with it being .915" at the waist. I don't think that this was a .60+ cal gun originally, as if I did my math right, there would not be enough margin left for a deep Jaeger type rifling.

The lock was originally flint, but the pan and frizzen bridle have been ground off, and converted. On the inside of the lock plate is one of the only markings. Is it an I? is it an H? Who knows?
E0375B87-CA8D-415F-AED8-AFCA8E4AFE85.jpeg

On the bottom barrel flat is etched XXVIII....28 bore is .550 caliber. I have seen a couple of original Jaegers in .55. My guess is that's what the bore size was in the beginning. C8498EED-2609-4AA1-8014-F83BA9F94F21.jpeg

This gun was advertised as a “Military Jaeger”. I rather discounted that, because well, it just doesn’t look much like a martial rifle to me....upon further examination, I found what appears to be where a bayonet lug was attached on the right side flat!!CE437473-1088-4BBA-B8F8-12A71EF1E0E6.jpeg7B37229D-B2AC-44A1-85CB-9AC2BC339D9C.jpeg
Also, the old rear sight dovetail is present, and filled.

D1739414-8260-475C-8634-EFEDDB6257BE.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm going to try my hand at building a liner for this ol girl and get the bore back down to the original .55 cal. Going to send the lock to Cabin Creek with a couple more here that need work. Maybe one day in the future it will once again sling lead.

Last edited:
I would not discount that this could have been a smoothbore when it was made, for boar hunting.

Would there be anything in particular I could look for to determine if it had ever been bored out from a previous size? I have the drum and the breechplug out and can see everything in the wide open.

Also, any idea on what the brazed piece would be on the RH barrel flat? Most of the 'swamp flare' near the muzzle on that flat has been filed down where its close to that piece....

A cylindrical drum is usually American, so you may be right that it was once rifled, and bored smooth here and converted to percussion. It doesn’t show as much wear as I’d expect. The whole thing is a bit of a mystery to me. Why would a 1790-1810 Germanic gun end up here in the first place, then be selected for conversion to percussion and bored smooth? Stranger things happen.

I generally don’t think of guns of this age as shooters, but the stock does look very sound. Not sure what your all-in cost will be if you get it lined with a rifled liner but that job with shipping both ways can’t be less than $300, I’d think, especially as it will necessitate a new drum installation. Good luck with your project.

I think it was a military Jaeger barrel and maybe some other military hardware that were repurposed into this smoothbore, and like you said, probably done here in America.

Up near the muzzle on the bottom flat remains a screw that was used at one time to affix the nosecap or the front of the forestock to the barrel. It was twisted off at some point, and was never filed completely flat on the outside. The stock shows the negative imprint of said screw bump in the channel. Also, from inside the bore, you can see the hole with said screw, but has been reamed flush.

All work will be done in such a manner to preserve as much of the guns originality as possible. No refinishing, no further woodwork save for preservation. Brad Emig is going to go through the lock for me. Really the only major things I will be doing is the rifled liner and dovetailing the barrel for a better set of sights.

The custom contemporary guns are beautiful, and yes there are replacement parts available, but the all-in costs of the projects I complete are just about the same as a newly built gun. When I'm done, I'm able to confidently spend a day shooting a 200 year old piece. That just "does it for me".

Last edited:
So, I've been working on the Jaeger project a little more, and I'm almost ready to shoot it. I decided against lining the bore, so it will remain the .715 smoothbore as it came to me.

I had to build a bushing for the bridle, where the sear bolt goes through. I made it out of a thin strip of soup can formed around a small nail. Pressed it into place and filed both sides flush. Fits/works perfect.

I installed a new, better fitting drum and nipple. I also had to remove some wood from under the sear in the lock mortise so it would lock into full cock positively.

The only thing left is I want to blow out the dust and then run some super glue into the age shrinkage cracks that are on the cheek rest side. The stock is rock solid, but I want to be able to say I did everything I could to strengthen it up before I fire it. Really excited about bringing this old piece back into the woods.

19A05825-0FFF-4561-A567-B6C1C6E5D837.jpeg8952FB3E-E7AB-4B71-B3A0-C399046F0899.jpeg

@Relic shooter

Those are marks denoting that the tumbler, sear, and bridle have been fit, and go together. Each piece has 4 file cuts in a non-important area. They were put there by a previous gunsmith. The barrel and breech plug tang also have matching file marks such as these, denoting that they go together.

@Relic shooter

Those are marks denoting that the tumbler, sear, and bridle have been fit, and go together. Each piece has 4 file cuts in a non-important area. They were put there by a previous gunsmith. The barrel and breech plug tang also have matching file marks such as these, denoting that they go together.
:thumb:

Latest posts

Back