• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jacks Battle Powder accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not being a competitive shooter nor hunter it’s something I’d like to try, but from what I understand from the web site it’s sold by the case only. I order Grafs house brand from Graf like that but $400+ is a bunch of money on powder that may or may not suit my needs.

Not being a competitive shooter nor hunter it’s something I’d like to try, but from what I understand from the web site it’s sold by the case only. I order Grafs house brand from Graf like that but $400+ is a bunch of money on powder that may or may not suit my needs.
Yes l agree with you. That's why I'm trying to find out about this powder before l put down my cash !

Yes l agree with you. That's why I'm trying to find out about this powder before l put down my cash !
One of those situations where attending an reenact-or event would pay off. Might find a participant willing to part with some at a reasonable price.
LoL. Wonder if I hung around the Patriots Stadium at game time I could find one of the minute men, they probably use Jacks.

Yes it is reenactor grade powder but some people seem to be getting pretty good accuracy with it . What has been your experience with it that caused you to say it is no good for competition?
Fellow competitors have tested it and competition accuracy isn't there. Velocity variation in black powder needs to be in single digits for best accuracy

Was in Louisiana on business in '11 and picked up a case from the judge while I was there.
Never had a problem with accuracy or ignition in the pan, in percussion rifles or revolvers.
You will note differences in the fouling and different interactions with different lubes. Not better or worse than with FFFg or with FFg but different. I noticed that right off because of the high lanolin content in the batch of LOOB* I'd concocted about the same time as I'd seen the judge.

LOOB.jpg

*lanolin, olive oil, beeswax

Was in Louisiana on business in '11 and picked up a case from the judge while I was there.
Never had a problem with accuracy or ignition in the pan, in percussion rifles or revolvers.
You will note differences in the fouling and different interactions with different lubes. Not better or worse than with FFFg or with FFg but different. I noticed that right off because of the high lanolin content in the batch of LOOB* I'd concocted about the same time as I'd seen the judge.

View attachment 93685

View attachment 93685
What size groups were you able to achieve at 50 and 100 yards ?

Has any one done any serious accuracy test with Jacks Battle Powder in patched round ball rifles ? I compete in competition (woodswalks and novelty shoots) and need accuracy. The SMR 54 CAL. l shoot will produce one ragged hole groups at fifty yards off the bench with Goex fffg or kik fffg . Is Jacks Battle Powder capable of producing this kind of accuracy ?
Jacks powder: my wife and I tried it for a short time. In my wife’s ML over and under 12ga. There was a minute hang fire in the lower barrel. Pored a small pile next to a similar pile of Goex. You could see the difference. Jacks had bigger grains mixed in . Goex was more similar in size. Switched back to Goex hang fire disappeared. It is cheaper so I use it in my BP cartridge and that’s all. With the different size grains I worry about constant velocity so haven’t used it in my rifles because it got into my head. Maybe it will work for you. Doc,

Off topic for a little historic tidbit. This thread on battle powder reminds me of an advertisement from 1771 which has always puzzled me.

THE SOUTH CAROLINA GAZETTE; AND COUNTRY JOURNAL
December 17, 1771
….japanned tea trays and waiters, guns, battle gunpowder, double and single F ditto, shot, powder horns , saltpeter, perfumery,….

Spence

I was told that reinactor powder was powder that had
minor quality control issues that was blended with
better quality powder to insure consistent ignition.
I have used a can before,and it seemed no different
than regular Goex. Unless you are a perfectionist,
it shoots excellent. I might go through some serious
weight powder in a normal year, with nice weather and
no covid scare and then it would be nice to save money.
But lately I have had less inclination to enjoy the range
and woods-- and could not see a case in my future at
this rate. When you buy less, you tend to buy better.
I am really sweet on OE because it is made with finer
charcoal and is Made in America.

Has any one done any serious accuracy test with Jacks Battle Powder in patched round ball rifles ? I compete in competition (woodswalks and novelty shoots) and need accuracy. The SMR 54 CAL. l shoot will produce one ragged hole groups at fifty yards off the bench with Goex fffg or kik fffg . Is Jacks Battle Powder capable of producing this kind of accuracy ?
It may be made by Goex but it is certainly not the equivalent. I tried it then traded what I had left for Goex.

Jacks is powder that is made for reenactors blanks. Not recommended for live fire but you might be able to get away with it. Garbage for competition use
thank you for setting me straight on the junk BP, that he sells. all right for blank loads, but not what I want. I want a shooting powder.

View attachment 93685
is the OLIVE OIL. PVOL? PURE VIRGIN OLIVE OIL? and where does one find a VIRGIN OLIVE?

I was told that reinactor powder was powder that had
minor quality control issues that was blended with
better quality powder to insure consistent ignition.
I have used a can before,and it seemed no different
than regular Goex. Unless you are a perfectionist,
it shoots excellent. I might go through some serious
weight powder in a normal year, with nice weather and
no covid scare and then it would be nice to save money.
But lately I have had less inclination to enjoy the range
and woods-- and could not see a case in my future at
this rate. When you buy less, you tend to buy better.
I am really sweet on OE because it is made with finer
charcoal and is Made in America.
What size groups did you get at 50 and 100 yds. From the bench ?

What size groups were you able to achieve at 50 and 100 yards ?

Been too long for me to be remembering groups sizes. Had to adjust my loads as with any powder. Shot it in revolvers and rifles of various calibers. Pretty sure I never used it in the 16" twist .40 bore or in the1847 model .69 caliber. Enjoyed the quick ignition in the .46, .50 and .58 flinters but noted that in high humidity it absorbed moisture more readily than FFFg. Going off of memory I don't know that I ever used it in the .62 flinter Hawken (The Rattler) because of sticking to FFg in it.

The main difference is that the granules are not polished; ie, more surface area for interaction with sparks or moisture, either one. Below is a photo taken in 2012 showing grain size comparison with FFFg. Light absorption (darker color) can give you some idea of what's what with the surface finish.
JBP and FFFg.JPG

Been too long for me to be remembering groups sizes. Had to adjust my loads as with any powder. Shot it in revolvers and rifles of various calibers. Pretty sure I never used it in the 16" twist .40 bore or in the1847 model .69 caliber. Enjoyed the quick ignition in the .46, .50 and .58 flinters but noted that in high humidity it absorbed moisture more readily than FFFg. Going off of memory I don't know that I ever used it in the .62 flinter Hawken (The Rattler) because of sticking to FFg in it.

The main difference is that the granules are not polished; ie, more surface area for interaction with sparks or moisture, either one. Below is a photo taken in 2012 showing grain size comparison with FFFg. Light absorption (darker color) can give you some idea of what's what with the surface finish.
View attachment 93806
Thanks for the info .

Roundball 54, I love your scientific approach to accuracy! Sometimes is hard to get straight answers on questions like yours since shooting is more a fun thing for most than true scientific experimentation. That’s why you hear a lot, terms like”minute of deer” instead of MOA, etc. True experimentation is hard to achieve as it takes lot of effort, time, meticulously not taking, weather conditions to minimize variables, etc. I have always tried to be a scientific as possible when I change components like caps, powder or lubes. I did acquired a case of JBP from the the judge himself back in 2008. It was $11 a pound delivered. Perfect for my meager salary at the time. The standard was: Hart BenchRest, Protektor Bunny Rear bag, cement bench, shooting 70 grains weighed charges of FFFg Shuetzen exclusively at the time on a TC Hawken with a 1:48 barrel with a .495 RCBS home cast PRB, .018 blue striped pillow ticking and water lubed (a pain in the rear to load). The gun has a Lyman 17A front and 66ML rear sight and the target was an NRA B-6 at 50 meters (53yds). Ten shoots swabbing between shots with water. Accuracy was on ragged hole that made the X disappear., good day a .90 inch group, bad day 1.25 inch. Velocity was a consisted 1670 FPS with a SD of 4 IIRC. BTW, TC barrels ARE of execellent quality and DO shoot PRBs! Anyhoo, at $11 per pound delivered I could pass. I tried to replicate the accuracy with JBP and could not. I tried adjusting the powder charges up an down with little success. The powder shot accurately enough for range work but I would get the occasional “cuasi-hang fire” that really threw on a ball 2” off and there it went the group to hell in a hand basket. I believe I tried to the usual to me 10-10 shot groups but gave up on number 7. By then it was getting to cold to be fair to the powder but I had not achieved the results anyhow so I gave up on it, BTW, velocity was lower as well, around 1530, IIRC and the SD was 21. Led me to believe that the powder was of less quality, inferior raw materials, a mix of FFg and FFFg or a combination of the above. I ended up burning it in CB revolvers where never really had serious issues when used with RWS 1075s. My Walkers really like that powder with an “undersize” .451 RB shooting ragged holes from the bench at 25 meters. I still have some cans left, I think they had a black and white label with an American eagles and flag on it, and it said Reenactor” on them, I have not bought more since and will not if I can help it. Remember, this lot is from 2008 and things may have changed, I know it was made for Jacks Powder Keg by GOEX for sure tho, both are in Louisiana! Sorry for the lengthy post but I hope it helps, I been in the place that $500 is a LOT of money as well and understand, on the other hand is not getting cheaper, and if you have a safe place to store it,..... hmmmm!!!!

Roundball 54, I love your scientific approach to accuracy! Sometimes is hard to get straight answers on questions like yours since shooting is more a fun thing for most than true scientific experimentation. That’s why you hear a lot, terms like”minute of deer” instead of MOA, etc. True experimentation is hard to achieve as it takes lot of effort, time, meticulously not taking, weather conditions to minimize variables, etc. I have always tried to be a scientific as possible when I change components like caps, powder or lubes. I did acquired a case of JBP from the the judge himself back in 2008. It was $11 a pound delivered. Perfect for my meager salary at the time. The standard was: Hart BenchRest, Protektor Bunny Rear bag, cement bench, shooting 70 grains weighed charges of FFFg Shuetzen exclusively at the time on a TC Hawken with a 1:48 barrel with a .495 RCBS home cast PRB, .018 blue striped pillow ticking and water lubed (a pain in the rear to load). The gun has a Lyman 17A front and 66ML rear sight and the target was an NRA B-6 at 50 meters (53yds). Ten shoots swabbing between shots with water. Accuracy was on ragged hole that made the X disappear., good day a .90 inch group, bad day 1.25 inch. Velocity was a consisted 1670 FPS with a SD of 4 IIRC. BTW, TC barrels ARE of execellent quality and DO shoot PRBs! Anyhoo, at $11 per pound delivered I could pass. I tried to replicate the accuracy with JBP and could not. I tried adjusting the powder charges up an down with little success. The powder shot accurately enough for range work but I would get the occasional “cuasi-hang fire” that really threw on a ball 2” off and there it went the group to hell in a hand basket. I believe I tried to the usual to me 10-10 shot groups but gave up on number 7. By then it was getting to cold to be fair to the powder but I had not achieved the results anyhow so I gave up on it, BTW, velocity was lower as well, around 1530, IIRC and the SD was 21. Led me to believe that the powder was of less quality, inferior raw materials, a mix of FFg and FFFg or a combination of the above. I ended up burning it in CB revolvers where never really had serious issues when used with RWS 1075s. My Walkers really like that powder with an “undersize” .451 RB shooting ragged holes from the bench at 25 meters. I still have some cans left, I think they had a black and white label with an American eagles and flag on it, and it said Reenactor” on them, I have not bought more since and will not if I can help it. Remember, this lot is from 2008 and things may have changed, I know it was made for Jacks Powder Keg by GOEX for sure tho, both are in Louisiana! Sorry for the lengthy post but I hope it helps, I been in the place that $500 is a LOT of money as well and understand, on the other hand is not getting cheaper, and if you have a safe place to store it,..... hmmmm!!!!
Thank you very much ! Your reply is more in line with the type of information l am looking for . My standard of accuracy is pretty much one ragged hole for 5 shots at fifty yds . This standard has worked very well for me in the type of competition l shoot in . lf JBP is not capable of producing this kind of accuracy it will never be in my horn .

Thank you very much ! Your reply is more in line with the type of information l am looking for . My standard of accuracy is pretty much one ragged hole for 5 shots at fifty yds . This standard has worked very well for me in the type of competition l shoot in . lf JBP is not capable of producing this kind of accuracy it will never be in my horn .
Bingo! One ragged hole is the standard. Not pretty good or good enough

Back