• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jackie Brown barrels ?????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes unless you complain ALOT about the one he sent you with a groove running straight down to the breach plug.

I don't know about exclusively. I learned recently that one of his sources sells a variety of makes and types.
I have a fowler in progress by him right now. (today may even be shipping day) From what I have read about the DOM barrels, I am not concerned. But, in a letter, I did advise him a barrel with a visible seam would be unacceptable and would be sent right back to him for replacement.

Here is an excerpt from an email with him regarding a trade we did a year or so ago:

"A barrel is simply a piece of steel with a hole in it. Full time barrel manufacturers such as Green Mountain, Getz, Colerain, and Rayl use 12 L 14 leaded bar stock to bore the barrels because it machines beautifully. It is very soft and easily worked. Makes a great barrel. It is also easily bent. That's why you hear of people needing to "bend" the barrel to correct point of aim. Actually, they're not bending but straightening. My "tubing" barrels are made of 1026 cold rolled high carbon steel. Hard as Chinese arithmetic. It doesn't machine nearly as well but it doesn't bend. I tell my customers, if it needs bending to straighten it, it needs replacing. My barrels can be "sprung" a bit to change point of impact but it seldom needs it."

Take it at his word.They do file & drill lttle harder.
i would use one of his barrels for i used one off a lesser India gun....

Yes and unless he has changed his practice the oct section is straight and not tapered and rather unsightly and for me uncomnfortable to brimg to eye.

"i would use one of his barrels for i used one off a lesser India gun...."

I understand Alex, it is better to fall from a 75 ft cliff than a 100 ft cliff
:rotf: :rotf:

I will be the first to admit that I am no expert on Barrels.

This thread as well as others recently are discussing JB's use of Tubing/DOM Barrels and a lot of Folks who have posted seem to have concerns about the safety of these Barrels.

So my question is, and it is not intended to inflame or create any controversy, Is there any documentation of any of these Barrels Bulging,Blowing up or anything like that?

JB has been building a long time and apparently has used these Tubing Barrels in a lot of his Guns and I haven't heard of any issues other than Cosmetic, like a Non Tapered Octagon Section and visible Seams on the inside of the Barrel.

Again, I am not trying to stir the Pot just curious.

With as much money as one spends on a custom gun, why would you want anything less than the best products/materials for the job just to save a few $$?

Regardless of their safety questions: Why would one want a piece of pipe converted into a barrel on a gun instead of a actual barrel made for the purpose? Seems like the equivalent of putting wooden wagon wheels instead of Pirelli tires on a Ferrari to me. Yes, they are both wheels, but they are specifically made for different uses.

Get a barrel from a reputable manufacturer. Leave the plumbing supplies to plumbers....

And using DOM tubing instead of using an actual barrel is what - evidence of using a cheap substitute to save money?

alex efremenko said:
Here is an excerpt from an email with him regarding a trade we did a year or so ago:

"A barrel is simply a piece of steel with a hole in it. Full time barrel manufacturers such as Green Mountain, Getz, Colerain, and Rayl use 12 L 14 leaded bar stock to bore the barrels because it machines beautifully. It is very soft and easily worked. Makes a great barrel. It is also easily bent. That's why you hear of people needing to "bend" the barrel to correct point of aim. Actually, they're not bending but straightening. My "tubing" barrels are made of 1026 cold rolled high carbon steel. Hard as Chinese arithmetic. It doesn't machine nearly as well but it doesn't bend. I tell my customers, if it needs bending to straighten it, it needs replacing. My barrels can be "sprung" a bit to change point of impact but it seldom needs it."

Statement implies his barrels are better than those from Green Mountain, Getz, Colerain, and Rayl.

Their's can be "bent".....mine can be "sprung". Does that sound like typical "legal-speak" from lawyers?

Tube barrel India made Bess explosion
http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/special/HPWhiteReportWithPersonalInfoBlocked.pdf

I also found this seperate incident of a seamless tube (India) accident.

100-0074_IMG.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Their's can be "bent".....mine can be "sprung". Does that sound like typical "legal-speak" from lawyers?
Sounds like a steaming pile of double-speak horse manure to me....

roundball said:
Statement implies his barrels are better than those from Green Mountain, Getz, Colerain, and Rayl.

It comes down to a choice. You can have a strong steel that puts up with, for want of a better term, "abuse" but fails suddenly, or a softer steel that shows abuse immediately but is less likely to burst catostrophically. The first one may let you get away with a few mistakes over it's lifetime and never go out of service, and the second may be damaged the first time you fail to fully seat a ball.

Extreme cases on opposite ends of the spectrum. LOTS of custom barrelsmiths like 12L14 because it machines well, is strong, can be smoothed with a die for a buttery bore, but then guys like Caywood say it is dangerous because if it does fail it may do so spectacularly.

You shoot any of them with a stuck ball halfway up with a stout charge behind and likely it will be time for a new barrel, stock and undershorts. It's the ones that suffer a cummulative damage and go for unknown reasons that you worry about. If the Getz's, Rice, Rayl, Colerain & c. are satisfied with their choice I have no problem sleeping at night before I plan on shooting that barrel.

I have a real problem with him saying that his barrels are better than the ones mentioned,he has a reputation of talking a lot and saying little, I know this from personal experience ten years ago and it looks like the leopard has the same spots today, I do not see the upcomming "retirement" as a loss to the hoby personaly, considering he has not followed thru with policy changes he said he would in the past.

Glad to see you are still out there VA, I was afraid we had lost you in the shuffle...

If I'm paying for lock, stock and barrel AND considering I've got a controlled explosion happening inches from my face - I want a barrel, not plumbing/hydraulic fixtures....

I have a 20 gauge fowler I bought from him back in 05. I cannot see a seam anywhere on it. I never really noticed the octogon to round section not being period correct tapered until I read it here somewhere. But I'll swear it shoots as good as any 20 gauge I've seen posted here. Looks like manure on the outside. Lots of chatter marks where the octogon to round meet. I need to emery cloth those out. Very smooth on the inside. Windage was dead on. Its got a sunken place in the stock your jaw fits in to help in consistancy of aiming. Its definately a poor boy and it looks it, and I've shot so many squirrels with it I have lost count. I'll use it at Friendship in a few weeks. Sort of shoddy fitting of the lock, but I'll swear everyone that shoulders it and looks down the barrel says "man that fits perfect and aims real good". I guess it was cheap compared to better fitting guns from other makers so you definately get what you pay for

Would I buy another?.........No

Am I satisfied with it for what it is....Yes

I'll eventually sell it to someone here someday so they can get the smoothbore experience and I can finance another from someone else LOL

Black Hand said:
And using DOM tubing instead of using an actual barrel is what - evidence of using a cheap substitute to save money?

How about 'less expensive' rather than "cheap". He offers a product at far less cost than most other builders.
I'll agree the "sprung" and "bent" thing is a play on words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back