• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Jack Garner 40 Year Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdbama80

32 Cal
Reaction score
I just picked up my 40 year rifles from Jack Garner this weekend. Pretty cool story on these. My wife's grandfather started building these 1982 and then passed away. They have been laying unfinished for the last 40 year. Jack Garner, who owns Tennessee Valley Manufacturing in Corinth MS agreed to finish them for me. He put 40YR on the barrels for the "40 year rifle". One of them is a 29 caliber with a Rex Maxey barrel and a Haddock lock. The other one is a 45 caliber with a barrel from Belgium. Both rifles stocks are cherry. I'm looking forward to shooting them.
Thanks

Image (2).jpeg
Image (1).jpeg
Image.jpeg

my last name is Garner, wish i had one of his rifles signed by him,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Mr. Garner has been building rifles for a long time, yet I don't often see his products on the used-gun market. I'm pretty sure he is still building, though, and I seem to recall he joined this forum not too long ago, as @JackGGarner . I'll bet you could get him to build a new rifle to your specs, with your/his name on it!

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
Beautiful rifles you were fortunate to get it all ship-shape and shooting. My only question is, "why wait so long"?

Beautiful rifles you were fortunate to get it all ship-shape and shooting. My only question is, "why wait so long"?
Hey Hanshi,
The unfinished rifles went to my mother in-law after my wifes grandmother passed away. She took them and put them in a storage unit along with a lot of other inherited rifles, shotguns, and pistols (The grandfather was VP of the Tennessee Gun Collectors association, so he had a lot of fine guns) and they stayed there for many years until my mother in-law passed away. When the family was dividing up all the other gun stuff, they wanted to just throw them away because they were not finished. That's when I raised my hand and said I would take them. I done a lot of research and decided that Jack Garner was the right man to do the job and he graciously accepted. Not only do I have 2 nice rifles, but meeting Jack has now gotten me hooked on this hobby. I think this will be the first of many rifles I'll have. I have a unfinished birdseye maple blank stock that was in the same storage unit for the last 40 years. I've really taken a liken to Jim Parks rifles over at Calvary Longrifles. Once I get some more money in my pocket I may give him a call.

Where are you going to get a mould for the .29" caliber?
If it were me, I would use buckshot, as many of the old-timers are known to have done. This chart is from Ballistic Products:

Buckshot Size Chart.png
The #2 buck (.270") would probably work with a thick patch, and I think that's what I would use. The #2-1/2" (.290") might be hard to start, but a lot of the old-time target shooters used bore-sized balls. In The Muzzle-Loading Rifle, Then and Now, Walter Cline said, "Regarding bullet size, the old rule still holds good; a [bare] bullet that will go through the barrel under the weight of the ramrod is a good rule to follow" (p. 58).

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

If it were me, I would use buckshot, as many of the old-timers are known to have done. This chart is from Ballistic Products:

View attachment 191281
The #2 buck (.270") would probably work with a thick patch, and I think that's what I would use. The #2-1/2" (.290") might be hard to start, but a lot of the old-time target shooters used bore-sized balls. In The Muzzle-Loading Rifle, Then and Now, Walter Cline said, "Regarding bullet size, the old rule still holds good; a [bare] bullet that will go through the barrel under the weight of the ramrod is a good rule to follow" (p. 58).

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

This is a great question and response Rifleman and Notchy Bob. I struggled with finding bullets, molds, jags, etc. for the 29 caliber. I found the Ballistic Products as well as I found .283 RB's on Track of the Wolf. I went with the .283 balls to start and figured I would try a thin patch. If that didn't work well then I was going to order the .270 from Ballistic products and use a thick patch. Does this sound like a good approach? Once I figure out what works best then I'll try to find a bullet mold.
Thanks

This is a great question and response Rifleman and Notchy Bob. I struggled with finding bullets, molds, jags, etc. for the 29 caliber. I found the Ballistic Products as well as I found .283 RB's on Track of the Wolf. I went with the .283 balls to start and figured I would try a thin patch. If that didn't work well then I was going to order the .270 from Ballistic products and use a thick patch. Does this sound like a good approach? Once I figure out what works best then I'll try to find a bullet mold.
Thanks
That sounds like a very good way to get started… Good thinking!

Buckshot is typically just a little harder than pure lead, and a bore-sized buckshot might be difficult to load. The .283” round balls are pure lead, and should work well. You may need a brass rod for loading, though. I have no recent experience with the very small calibers, and the shooting I did with small-bore originals in my carefree days of youth was not very scientific. However, I routinely shoot balls .020” under bore size in my .50 and .54 caliber rifles now, and I’m satisfied with the results, although I don’t see well enough to be a competitive shooter anymore, regardless of the accuracy of the rifle. I think the .270” buckshot should make good “plinking” ammo… easy to load, and cheap.

Have fun with those rifles, and by all means check back in with us and tell us how the work.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
I can’t find it but I know I read an article about using a 29 caliber for squirrel, it was a custom barrel he had made.. he then continued to talk about testing out the TC Cherokee .32 and how they changed the twist from the Seneca. Interesting article for sure but talks about the .29 should be a fun caliber to shoot! Also you could get a mold made here is you so desire..

Callahan Bagmolds & Accoutrements

His website says he can make anything you need just cost a little more then the common sizes

I can’t find it but I know I read an article about using a 29 caliber for squirrel, it was a custom barrel he had made.. he then continued to talk about testing out the TC Cherokee .32 and how they changed the twist from the Seneca. Interesting article for sure but talks about the .29 should be a fun caliber to shoot! Also you could get a mold made here is you so desire..

Callahan Bagmolds & Accoutrements

His website says he can make anything you need just cost a little more then the common sizes
I found the website I knew I would, it’s been referenced here plenty of times but this way you don’t need to go looking for it...

http://www.namlhunt.com/mlsmallgame2.html

Thanks for sharing Ibothell. That was an interesting article. After reading it I realized that I was probably using to much powder in my .29 caliber. I was loading it with 30g of FFG. He was only using 12g. I’ll have to try that when I shoot again next week end.

Latest posts

Back