• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

J.p. beck flinklock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RUN, don't walk, RUN away from this.

And also, if it were me, I would never do business with them again. I'd also probably pull them up on Google Maps, click on the reviews and give then a bad review relating their shady practices. They know darn well it isn't a real J.P. Beck. I'm sure they also know the bore is of suspect condition.

I suppose it's hypothetically possible that they're worried about somebody seeing photos of a valuable item and trying to rip them off. I'm more inclined to think that they know darn well that they're advertising this as something it is not and they don't want the word to get out.

Its

That's what they loaned the guy on it and he never came back for it
It would be a rare pawn shop that knew who Beck was. And a rarer pawn shop that would lend $1800 on a rifle they did not even know enough about to check for a load. Sounds like a full load of horse pucky.
Would like to see pics though.

It's in north Idaho. St.maries idaho. Don't think they know much about muzzleloader or guns in general everthing they have is pretty expensive
Hmm, I wonder how they would react to some out of state inquiries into the rifle.
Might get interesting of several of us contacted them saying, "I've heard you may have a signed J.P. Beck rifle, I am in the state of _______, could you please send me pictures as I may be interested in paying to have it shipped to me."

Has to be a fake. It is funny because I made my own, modeled after Beck but it has my name on it.

this just reeks of bogus ... if they won't dicker, and they won't even let you take some snaps of it, I'd run from this deal faster than the proverbial scalded dog

Just went back they wouldn't let take pictures of it hmm
If it hadnt been cleaned and reloaded after a shot, after 2 years, they’re would be crusty kernels growing on the bore. Gotta believe it was loaded to hunt and never shot. If the nipple or flashhole had been covered, moisture shouldnt have gotten in. Before you make an offer, ask to run a patch down the bore. If it slides in and out easy, your main worry will be the powder chamber . Once aquired, pull load, scrape compressed BP with breech scraper, dump powder out, then flush with hot soapy water, dry, and head to the range. Good luck!

“Don't think they know much about muzzleloader or guns in general”

That’s interesting…and highly unlikely….more than likely they are luring you in with the “…We are just dumb hicks and don’t know what we got here…” schtick.

It is likely a reproduction of low comparative value.

I know the area well, and pretty much every pawn shop knows firearms, especially black powder arms and historic makers up here.

This is gun country far as the communities go. If you don’t own firearms you are in the absolute minority here. Whether you are poor or wealthy, educated or not, people know guns and farm equipment up here….including high value arms.

Buffalo Arms is up in Ponderay, about an hour and half north of St Marie’s for a reason.

40 minutes from St. Marie’s is the Hayden and the CDA area….two things common there….uber affluent people and dedicated black powder shooters and collectors with incredible black powder firearm collections.

From south of St Marie’s to north of Bonners Ferry all the way to the Canadian border, word travels fast on things like this.

If it was worth having at $1800 it would have been long gone.

Long story short, it is more than likely, that the Pawn Shop knows what it has, one way or the other. Don’t get played. You do not know more than them, they know their business. I agree with everyone here, avoid the place.

But if they know the value, and everyone around knows about blackpowder guns, why are they sitting on what seems to be an overpriced rifle? With a load in it? And a possibly bad barrel? If they, and the folks around, know this stuff, why is it languishing? Just bad material? Then why the high price? Why no photographs? Too many questions, je pense!

I meant to say you’re better off buying a used flintlock rifle on a used rifle for sale forum,

Listen to what all the other guys are saying sounds like bad deal

IME, pawn shops work on at least a 100% profit - soooo, With a tag of $1800, the shop has a lot less than that in it.

BTW, the Gold Standard for dickering in a pawn shop is to speak to the shop owner only (not a clerk), and actually lay cash on the counter, saying "this is all I can spend on it" - Then, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT (aka: he who speaks first, loses).

Latest posts

Back