• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

J.O.Mayne, London, Muzzle Loading shotgun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vairochana

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Gday all,
I am looking at buying this muzzleloading shotgun, I have never heard of the make before, however I know it is pre-1900.
It is in Australia at present.
Does anyone know about this make?

Cheers
WS

J.O.Mayne, London:

1256118996.jpg

1256119036.jpg

1256118966.jpg

1256118924.jpg

Hi Widow's son,
I would love to help more but I cannot find much info on the maker. J. O. Mayne does not show up on my list of London gunmakers working before 1850. The gun was probably made in the 1860s or later. After looking for info on the internet, it seems a fair number of his guns are on sale in NZ and Australia. I wonder if he specialized in inexpensive guns for export. Certainly the gun you are looking at is well made but must have been an inexpensive product of the London gun trade.

dave

Thanks mate,
I have seen a few on the local sites, mainly SXSs.
I agree I think that these are late 1800s and meant as "trade" or farm guns.
I haven't been able to find anything about the manufacturer tho and am open to any leads.

WS

I couldn't find anything in my references either.
It looks like the hammer has been replaced, however...it doesn't seem to fit correctly as it is too small.

"..open to any leads"

I can't help with the manufacturer either but I will say that it looks like a nice gun in good condition for its age. There is enough wear to show that it was used which is better than the alternative which would indicate that it wasn't reliable or otherwise was left in the cabinet. The hardware says "made for the trade" to me. These farm guns or I call them hardware store guns were made quite well for the prices asked at the time.

As mentioned the hammer doesn't look original to the gun but that is easy to fix or if it works OK then ignore it. Do you plan to shoot it or hang it on a wall for decoration?

If the price is reasonable then I say go ahead and buy it.

L.Dog

It looks a lot like the one I just bought. Are there any markings on the barrel. The lock on the one I have is "Bell."

Gday,
Thanks for the replies,
I will be trying to get hold of it in a week or so (gonna become a new dad in between :) )
Ideally this will be used fairly regularly in our Farmgun (modified sporting clays) comp.
I have a modern repro based on a zouave (in another thread) but it would be good to use an original from time to time.
I didn't even pick up on the hammer, if it works I wont change anything, otherwise I might have a chat to Forbes (in Oz) and get a bigger one.
WS

Latest posts

Back