• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

J. golcher research

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Firearm ID - l have an unidentified perc. sporting rifle with, what I believe to be a Josh or Joseph Golcher lock plate. There are two marks on the top of the barrel - what looks like the letter “C” lying on its back with the opening looking down the barrel. Below that is a “TC” and it’s not Thompson-Center. On the lock there is, what might be “G_ _ _ cher.” Also, on the left end of the lock, there is a scene with two, what I think might be, guinea hens. I also have a Henry Deringer sporting rifle with “J Golcher” in old English font and a simillar scene on the left end of the lock with the hens.
I’m new to the forum and I’m wondering if anybody is doing any Golcher research. Any assistance will be appreciated.
BMCS

Golcher marked locks were used all over the place from 1820s onward. There’s not much else to know as far as I know. It’s impossible to tell who made a gun or where it was made or precisely when it was made by the Golcher lock on the gun.

Greetings bpd303, here's some pics of the rifle I spoke of - H. Deringer Philad is stamped on the barrel and it has a J. Golcher lock. I'm new to the forum, neither collector or expert and, from what limited research I've done, I'll venture, in my opinion, that it's an indian trade rifle. And, that's a wild guess. Any info would be appreciated and my thanks in advance.

Attachments

• GetAttachmentThumbnail_013.jpg
    GetAttachmentThumbnail_013.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 109
  • GetAttachmentThumbnail_012.jpg
    GetAttachmentThumbnail_012.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 128
  • GetAttachmentThumbnail_010.jpg
    GetAttachmentThumbnail_010.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 118
  • GetAttachmentThumbnail_008.jpg
    GetAttachmentThumbnail_008.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 123
  • GetAttachmentThumbnail_007.jpg
    GetAttachmentThumbnail_007.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 108
  • GetAttachmentThumbnail_006.jpg
    GetAttachmentThumbnail_006.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 112
  • GetAttachmentThumbnail_005.jpg
    GetAttachmentThumbnail_005.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 104
  • GetAttachmentThumbnail_004.jpg
    GetAttachmentThumbnail_004.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 111
  • GetAttachmentThumbnail_003.jpg
    GetAttachmentThumbnail_003.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 112
  • GetAttachmentThumbnail_002.jpg
    GetAttachmentThumbnail_002.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 108
Thank you for posting, BMCS. Regarding the lock, I think those might be intended as pheasants, or possibly grouse. They do look a lot like guinea hens, though!

I believe the first name was Joseph, sometimes shortened to "Josh," but with the "h" in superscript. I have seen the last name as "Golcher" and "Goulcher."

That certainly is an interesting and very fine rifle in post #5. I'm not an expert on Indian trade rifles, but I've never heard of one with birdseye maple stock wood.* The figure in that stock is impressive. The trade rifles with which I am most familiar, by the various makers, tend to have trigger guards with more rounded bows. I think of those "flat-bottomed" bows more in association with target and sporting rifles, although I am presenting that as opinion, rather than fact. I believe trigger guards of that type were sort of a percussion era "Philadelphia thing." You also see them on Tryon rifles.

Your rifle also appears to have a wooden under-rib, which is unusual but not unknown. I'm not aware of this being used on trade rifles. Wooden ribs have come up as topics of discussion a couple of times recently, on various forums. It's good to see anther original that has one. I'm sure images of your rifle would be welcomed in future discussions of that topic.

Thank you for posting!

Notchy Bob

*EDIT: I went back and leafed through Ryan Gale's For Trade and Treaty, and found two trade rifles stocked in very impressive birdseye maple, one by Tryon, and one by Dickert. I stand corrected!

Last edited:
Notchy Bob, thank you for the very insightful interpretation. I bought this rifle at auction in about 1971 and, after a very quick assessment, bought it in haste. I was irritated when I got to examine it and discovered the Golcher name on the lock plate. I always thought, because of the different lock plate, that it had been gussied up for auction. Fortunately it's a good looking rifle and it hung for many years on our fireplace.

I started doing a bit of research on it about a year ago and have been quite intrigued by my findings, especially discovering that the Golchers made many of the lock plates that the Deringers used. If I come up with anything new I'll post it.

Again, thanks for the input.

BMCS

Back