• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

J. Funk & comp:in SUHL

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the broken hammers this gun would sell for $400 give or take a little. If the hammers weren't broke, maybe twice that to the right person.

hounddog said:
Gents I took another look there is a knob attached to the piece. I believe what we are looking at is the cocking mechanisim, pressing down on the knob will raise the hammer. This gun aint broke! It was made that way.
It seems you are guessing. Or do you have another example of this "cocking mechanism"?

Jack Wilson, feel free to give your opnion as to what the part does. After all no one had spotted the item untill I saw it and brought it to everyones attention. Yes I made a guess as to what function the part might do. If a knowledgable gun man could get a hands on look the mystery would be solved. go ahead jack you done put your 2 cents in. go haead and spend a nickle and make your guess hounddog

I was just looking at the photos that are linked in the original post.
In Photo #6 it clearly shows a top view looking down at both hammers showing the rear surfaces.

The surfaces of both hammers has the granular appearance of a broken casting.
In my opinion, if the hammers were intended to be the way they currently are, these surfaces would be finely filed like all of the other machined surfaces are. They would not have the rough granular texture.

There's no guessing.

It's a safety of a type that was very common on percussion era German guns. Just look at pics of mid 19th century German guns on any auction house and you'll see various examples of this type of safety with differences only in shape.

Also I've seem a monster head fish themed lock with the hammer spurs representing the tail on a shotgun by Jung in Suhl that is very similar to another V. Funk lock. The similarities of the locks seems striking. I was only trying to find hammers similar to the broken hammers on the gun in question. Of course without a comparison it's impossible to know what the spurs should look like since they are gone. I have failed but I appreciate the art of German guns more now anyway.

Ahh.... another very similar dragon hammer on a gun by Paul Ebert in Suhl so evidently this was popular in Suhl at one point.

I have a musket with a backaction lock in flint that has a safety on it the hammer itself is actually notched to act as a half cock, the tumbler has only a full cock notch, so the safety is actually a external half cock. the lock is massive being 8 1/2 long a weighing close to a pound, biggest dan lock I have ever seen and also the only back action flint lock I have ever seen. If I werent so dumb I would post a picture. Mabey if my wife would let me use her digital I could learn hounddog

Backaction locks can look pretty classy and sleek. That would be interesting. Where I was searching was the archives of Herman Historica auctions by the way.

there has to be some stamps on the barrel somewhere, possibly unter the forstock.
If you can, take a look and post a couple of picts. The size of the Barrels would also help. please measure them with a micrometer exact as possible
I will ask around here (Germany) and see what I can find....parts, info and such. It will take a couple of days.
just up front...Suhl is a city known for its weapons and weapon masters. I have to look at the pictures again in high quality, but it could be that the engraving is done in Silver

Back