• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

ive got a jumbo barr hog coming behind the house think ill hunt him this week

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr. Poker, honestly I have no idea, ive weighed only 1 hog in my life, iwill say this at my hunting spot I paint 3 lines at various spots around the bait sights a line at 12 inches 24 inches and 36 inches, a hog that is 31 inches at the shoulder is considered a trophy this hof at the sholders was way bigger than 36 inches at the shoulder, when I dressed it (Barr) it had a 5 inch layer of fat around the body. I call it a it because he has no reproductive jewels. they grow fast and cutters get huge as they no longer fight

Howie, thanks for your explanation. Its obvious by the photos that this one was a giant. Good for you on harvesting it.

Mr. Poker, honestly I have no idea, ive weighed only 1 hog in my life, iwill say this at my hunting spot I paint 3 lines at various spots around the bait sights a line at 12 inches 24 inches and 36 inches, a hog that is 31 inches at the shoulder is considered a trophy this hof at the sholders was way bigger than 36 inches at the shoulder, when I dressed it (Barr) it had a 5 inch layer of fat around the body. I call it a it because he has no reproductive jewels. they grow fast and cutters get huge as they no longer fight
You can supply the carnitas kettles with lard forever!

Does unsalted lard contain any or much salt. Are wild hogs saltier than commercial hogs?

I’m not being a smart a@@. I just want to know. I’ve used unsalted lard in lube mixtures with no ill effects.

Just think Howie, if you rendered all that lard you could make enough soap to last for 20 years of hand washing.

Congrats! I've been watching this post for awhile, hoping for this outcome. :)

Now, could someone edumacate a dumb Canuck on one point: Do people actually trap wild hogs, castrate them, and then release them back into the wild? Considering the damage these critters do, is that considered acceptable practice? I get that they are hoping to grow them out and then harvest them later, but a pig like that must do a lot of crop and game damage throughout its life in the meantime.

We don't have wild hogs up here to any extent, but I'm just imagining the reaction I'd get from one of the local sheep or dairy ranchers if I told him that I had live-trapped a coyote, snipped his jewels and then let him go. That would not be a pleasant conversation after that point. And coyotes are native around here, not introduced like the wild hogs.

Congrats! I've been watching this post for awhile, hoping for this outcome. :)

Now, could someone edumacate a dumb Canuck on one point: Do people actually trap wild hogs, castrate them, and then release them back into the wild? Considering the damage these critters do, is that considered acceptable practice? I get that they are hoping to grow them out and then harvest them later, but a pig like that must do a lot of crop and game damage throughout its life in the meantime.

We don't have wild hogs up here to any extent, but I'm just imagining the reaction I'd get from one of the local sheep or dairy ranchers if I told him that I had live-trapped a coyote, snipped his jewels and then let him go. That would not be a pleasant conversation after that point. And coyotes are native around here, not introduced like the wild hogs.

mr john, yes sir it is common practice to castorate boars and re release them, normally around here its the vhog doggers, guys who hunt hogs with dogs

Last edited by a moderator:
Does unsalted lard contain any or much salt. Are wild hogs saltier than commercial hogs?

I’m not being a smart a@@. I just want to know. I’ve used unsalted lard in lube mixtures with no ill effects.

Just think Howie, if you rendered all that lard you could make enough soap to last for 20 years of hand washing.
Kansas Jake, I don't think it is as salty however hogs have no sweat glands so they maintain a lot of salt, salt actually helps them digest food according to the feed store. wild hog fat is considered a semi soft or semi hard cant remember but it tastes different then domestic pork fat. matter of fact when I make smoked jalepeno cheddar smoked sausage I always go to the buther and buy domestic pork fat, I don't fry wild hog, ill throw in an oven bacg like a roast most of the time ill separate into 2-3 lb packages cube it up for the crock pot

mr john, yes sir it is common practice to castorate boars and re release them, normally around here its the vhog doggers, guys who hunt hogs with dogs

Thank you, sir! I had no idea; wild hogs are rare up here...extended winter spells of -30F to -40F might have something to do with that...and when you come across any you are expected to shoot on sight.

Again, congratulations on the nice pig. :)

A barr hog is a boar hog that has been cut or castrated. ... But one of the main reasons people catch these feral hogs and castrate them is because once they get cut, and released back in the wild, they grow faster, fatter, and don't have that strong taste or smell common to them.

Howie says it's a barr boar - take it to the bank.....

That's gonna be a lot of pork!!!

First of all... Good going, Howie!

Regarding the castration of wild hogs, I had not herd of it before, but I'm not surprised.

I read a book a while back about the (Scottish) Earl of Southesk crossing the Canadian plains in the 1850's. Naturally, he hunted buffalo. He described at one point someone in his party killing a "buffalo ox." I thought at first he meant a crossbreed of a bison and a domestic cow, like a "catalo," but he was a very proper gentleman living in the Victorian era, and he chose his words carefully. It was apparent that he was talking about a castrated male, using the word "ox" to to mean a "steer." It was suggested that the Indians would sometimes catch bull calves and castrate and release them. These "buffalo oxen" were highly prized by the hunters for their exceptionally fine, silky robes. The horns on these animals evidently grew longer, also.

As for hogs, we have a lot of them here in Florida, too. The wild ones I have seen don't get nearly as big or fat as the one Howie killed. With our mild winters, they breed all year long. A female can be bred before she is a year old, and they can have two or three litters a year. I think there must be a dominant gene for black color and a more slender, athletic build. I would estimate better than 95% of the ones I have seen are solid black, lean, and as nimble as deer. They can run like hell, and that's exactly what they do when they know they've been seen... They are wilder than deer.

Notchy Bob

First of all... Good going, Howie!

Regarding the castration of wild hogs, I had not herd of it before, but I'm not surprised.

I read a book a while back about the (Scottish) Earl of Southesk crossing the Canadian plains in the 1850's. Naturally, he hunted buffalo. He described at one point someone in his party killing a "buffalo ox." I thought at first he meant a crossbreed of a bison and a domestic cow, like a "catalo," but he was a very proper gentleman living in the Victorian era, and he chose his words carefully. It was apparent that he was talking about a castrated male, using the word "ox" to to mean a "steer." It was suggested that the Indians would sometimes catch bull calves and castrate and release them. These "buffalo oxen" were highly prized by the hunters for their exceptionally fine, silky robes. The horns on these animals evidently grew longer, also.

As for hogs, we have a lot of them here in Florida, too. The wild ones I have seen don't get nearly as big or fat as the one Howie killed. With our mild winters, they breed all year long. A female can be bred before she is a year old, and they can have two or three litters a year. I think there must be a dominant gene for black color and a more slender, athletic build. I would estimate better than 95% of the ones I have seen are solid black, lean, and as nimble as deer. They can run like hell, and that's exactly what they do when they know they've been seen... They are wilder than deer.

Notchy Bob
Yes sir hogs can run up to 30 mph. We have alot of hogs as the farmers way back would turn out there. Pigs to free graze then before winter they attempted to gather or round up the pigs. Hog gestation is between 110 and 115 days on a good year. They haven have 3 litters of piglets. Sexual maturity for a sow is 6 months a sow can be bread. We have alot of black pieballed which is usually tan with black spots red hogs. Most people don't realize that a domestic hog can. Become feral within a week or two. The longer in the wild there snouts getlonger they get
Barrel chested and lean in the hindquarters. We had a banner year for acorns with alot of trees (pin oaks) dropping acorns into January.its great for nutrition but makes for harder hunting

Thank you, sir! I had no idea; wild hogs are rare up here...extended winter spells of -30F to -40F might have something to do with that...and when you come across any you are expected to shoot on sight.

Again, congratulations on the nice pig. :)
ihuntingi. I came from not far from you Watertown NY Canada is 12 miles from Watertown and the st Lawrence seaway. A hog could survive in Canada. Look at hogs from Russia. Russia has nasty winters as well. I've heard of hogs being in Maine there only requirement is water. They have no sweat glands so staying warm wouldn't be hard. Texas summers are hard on them that's why they lay in water all day. It's hogs only way to keep cool

Back