• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I've been spiked

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Squire Robin,

I'm curious what kind of legal hoops you've had to jump through to have a cannon over there in the Mother Country?

R/s,
Charlie
Gunner, Virginia State Navy
Gunner, HMS Squirrel, North American Squadron

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
~ George Mason, during Virginia's ratification convention, 1788

grapeshot said:
I'm curious what kind of legal hoops you've had to jump through to have a cannon over there in the Mother Country?

Hi Charlie

None at all, it's a muzzle loader made before 1939 which I keep as "curiosity or ornament". You can have what you like over here so long as it's pre-1939 and muzzle loading or on the obsolete cartridge list. OTOH, they might get a bit sticky if you had an obsolete cartridge gun plus ammo to fit, especially revolvers and semi-automatics :nono:

best regards

Squire Robin

PS: The chisel didn't impress it none.

Squire Robin said:
PS: The chisel didn't impress it none.

:hmm: Just what the h&ll is that blockage made of anyway? Kryptonite? :shocked2: :cursing: :grin:

Davy

Have you tried drilling it and pulling it with a slide hammer. You'd have to fabricate the drill and hammer to get that kinda length but that should be pretty simple for a man with your talents. :thumbsup:

Just curious Robin....

Now, I know they are original pieces with history and such...

How much "time" have you put into these things already? As in, your winning e-bay price plus the work you have put into them so far = ????

Just curious, as I had thought about bidding on them at the time, but then thought, I might be able to have one made for me at that price.

Robin,

Everytime I see you post on this thread, I expect to see a banner headline that says SUCCESS!! It is a disappointment to not see that yet, but I am rooting for you!

Pork Chop said:
Everytime I see you post on this thread, I expect to see a banner headline that says SUCCESS!!

More failure :(

90 bar of hydraulic pressure and it laughed at me. Only posting the movie to show I really was stupid enough to make a 1/4" BSP cannon adaptor and connect it all up :rotf:
[url] http://www.robinhewitt.net/hydraulics.wmv[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
No rest for the wicked I guess! :grin:

Keep after it, sooner or later you will get there! :hatsoff:

Davy

More pressure! More pressure! 3,000 psi is just a tickle. :grin:

You're gonna win this one of these days, and I can hardly wait.

Squire;

If you can send me some of the fragments or shavings of the bore obstruction, I can have my darling daughter do an analysis of them, and determine exactly what it is composed of. She's a metalurgist in a steel mill, and has all the neat gadgets to determine the composition of this sort of thing. Contact by PM if you'd like to try this approach.

Enjoy,

Joel

LH Joel said:
shavings of the bore obstruction, I can have my darling daughter do an analysis of them,

Hi Joel

That would be superb, let me just try and figure out how to get some :hmm:

So near and yet so far :thumbsup:

best regards

Squire Robin

rifleshooter2 said:
Man that was exciting :thumbsup:

Not exactly, but you'd be amazed how long it takes to sort these things out.

I only got the pump cheap because it didn't work, I had to dissect the motor then find the manufacturer and sweet talk the value of the gassed out start capacitor from them. I had to find 24 VAC with enough amps to fire the solenoid, gather the fittings and hose, make the adaptor then place nearly half a ton of cannon gently upside down on top of it.

It all takes time :redface:

I'm just grabbing at straws but what about a diamond core drill bit. Their for concrete but with alot of lubrication and a slow feed maybe you could bore it out.[url] http://cgi.ebay.com/2-5-Premi...892QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item150059594076[/url]

Like I said Just a thought.

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's some inspiration:

YOU'RE NEVER GONNA CLEAN THAT THING OUT!

:rotf: sse :rotf:

rifleshooter2 said:
I'm just grabbing at straws but what about a diamond core drill bit.

Hi Andy

I would start cutting tomorrow if I knew what I was cutting in to, but I could so easily damage the cannon if I get impetuous. Once the first one's clear the second should be a doddle :thumbsup:

I think there's a cup in there for three reasons, but I can't be sure...

1: I can't find the touch hole inside.

2: I can feel a constriction at the bottom end when I run a rotary brush down the bore.

3: The metal surface looks different at the botttom end, even though there's no clear transition point.

best regards

Squire Robin

Might I offer a suggestion?

Place a piece of 2 x 4 or such a piece of wood across the muzzle, so that one side is approximately a center line.

Then using a broom stick, or some similar item, center it at the muzzle and have the other end of that come to rest at what appears to be the center of the breech face.

Now, mark that piece on the side of the cross piece that rest on the muzzle face.

Then, by comparing it with the length of the barrel, from muzzle to vent, you have a rough idea how much of an obstruction there is.

You may have already tried this. Just trying to be of service.

CP

Squire Robin said:
I've been spiked :hmm:

Went to clear the rust out of the touch but my drill stops just short of the bore on both cannon.

Have you ever heard of a gun being disabled like that :confused:

Might be a reason they were spiked Robin, like maybe they were foundry rejects found unfit for service.

Back